My teaching methods are flexible according to the needs of the student. As long as the student has an open mind and voice they'd love to work with, we are all set to go! I can teach half hour lessons or one hour lessons (or more if required) every week.
I can gear my lessons towards classical training, vocal production technique, or preparation and vocal coaching for a specific performance!
Classical can include: Western Classical, Sight-Singing, Indian Classical (Hindustani and Carnatic Vocal) or even Classical Tabla.
I am a professional singer, songwriter, music producer and composer - I have worked on numerous albums, singles and films over the last few years. I have a vocal degree from the prestigious Metalworks Institute of Music and Technology. I have trained in numerous forms of music, including Classical (Western and Indian - Hindustani, Carnatic), R&B and Pop.
Apart from this, I also teach intermediate Piano and Guitar and professional Music Production.
Travel rates might defer depending on the length of the travel. Also, cancellation fees apply if class is cancelled within 24 hours of the scheduled class (50% of the class rate).
ABSHEK SINGER, SONGWRITER, COMPOSER, PRODUCER
EDUCATION AND MUSICAL TRAINING
University of Toronto – Finance & Management Specialist
Rotman Commerce, University of Toronto
Special Concentration: Leadership in Organizations
Music Performance and Technology – Vocal Major
Metalworks Institute of Sound and Music Production
2016 Recipient of Slaight Family Scholarship
Extensive study in Digital Music Production (including Production, Mixing and Mastering), Western Vocal Music, including Western Classical, Pop, Jazz, & R&B, and Audio Engineering
Classical Vocal Training – Western, Hindustani and Carnatic systems
Advanced Vocal Indian Classical Music from renowned classical musicians, Ranjani-Gayatri and Raji Gopalakrishnan
Western Classical, Popular and Contemporary Vocal Training from renowned vocal coaches, Anna Mastin, Carol McCartney, Nadia Mazzarolo. 2016 – Present
• Vocal Coach and Indian Classical Music Instructor 2008 – Present o Educator of Indian Classical Music. Providing workshops and weekly teaching of Hindustani
Classical, Carnatic Classical and Voice Techniques and Maintenance to students around Ontario.
• Professional Singer / Performer – Various Genres o
• Original Music Productions & Compositions
Graduated June 2015 September 2016 – August 2018
1998 - Present
2007 – Present
Extensive performing experience in South Asian Classical Music, Bollywood &
Kollywood Film Music, Ghazals and Qawwali; in addition to Western Music, including
R&B & Pop
Collaborated with renowned composers M. Ghibran, Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy, classical
pianist Anil Srinivasan, lyricist Madhan Karky, and film director Gowtham Menon
Invited to perform at major venues around the world, including The Music Academy,
Chennai; International Centre, Toronto; University of North Florida;
Shanmukhananda Sabha, Mumbai; PICC Auditorium, Malaysia, and more
2011 – Present
Composed, arranged and produced film score and music for 2017 Canadian film,
Punch Panchangam Pariharam.
Featured Original Music Singles in Original Motion Picture Soundtracks of films
Maayavan and Monsoon Mangoes for songs Mella Mella and Beethe Din, respectively.
Composed and co-produced numerous original tracks and background scores for
South Indian albums and productions.
Featured original music, composed, sung and produced for numerous Indo-Canadian
productions, including Amma Unnai; Advertisements for HP Canada, CBC Radio,
SPB Anthem and more.
ABSHEK SINGER, SONGWRITER, COMPOSER, PRODUCER
• Production Internship experience at renowned Yash Raj Films Studios (Mumbai, India) June – Sept 2014 o Significant recording, producing and marketing research experience; evaluated
effectiveness of marketing strategies related to music launch and production quality
with focus groups
• Research, Publications, and Articles
o Published author of numerous articles, research papers and blogs on Vocal
Production, Indian Classical Music, and Voice Maintenance and Enhancement. Recently featured publications in prestigious magazines by the Bharathi Kala Manram, Ontario and Canadian Youth Society of Carnatic Music (CYSC).
SIGNIFICANT AWARDS, HONOURS AND ACHIEVEMENTS
• Ron Lenyk Inspiring Youth Award 2017
• AVID Pro Tools Certification
• Slaight Family Scholarship (Metalworks Institute of Sound & Music Production)
o Sole recipient of national-level Slaight Family Music Scholarship at the Metalworks Institute
May 2017 January 2017 September 2016
• Winner, Astro International Singing Superstar, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia May – August 2015 o Winner; worldwide reality singing competition; against 15 contestants from all over
• Peter F. Bronfman Commerce Award, University of Toronto
• Pierre Karch and Mariel O’Neill-Karch Scholarship, University of Toronto
• Numerous Vocal Classical Music Awards
o Title, “Sangeetha Jyothi” by Varasiddhi Vinayagar Temple, Scarborough
o Best Singer at North American Singing Talent Hunt held by Sangam Kala Group
Proficiency in Software and Digital Audio Systems:
• Pro Tools 12 (certified in 2017)
• Logic Pro 10
• Ableton Live 9 and 10
• Piano, Grade 6 (Royal Conservatory of Music, Canada)
• Guitar (Acoustic and Electric) - Chords and simple melodic playing
• Melodyne 4
• Propellerheads Reason 9
• iMovie, Final Cut Pro
• Photoshop CC
Other Musical Skills
• Extensive knowledge and experience in Vocal Arranging, Layering and Harmonies
February 2014 October 2011 2010-2016
4 Best Senior Vocalist Awards, Shanmukhananda Sabha, Mumbai August 2016
RTP award at CTA, Cleveland April 2012
• Extensive experience with song mixing, using Pro Tools, Logic Pro
• Piano skills – Grade 3 Level Royal Conservatory of Music
• Guitar – Rhythm and Chords
• Swarmandal and Tanpura, Indian instruments
• Rhythms: Congas, Djembe, intermediate Drumkit playing
• Excellent verbal and written communication: English, Hindi, Tamil, Malayalam; learning French and Spanish
There are those who are great performers / artists and there are those who are able to also impart their artistic knowledge to students. ABshek is definitely one who is equally adept at sharing what he knows to his students. I have been a vocal student of his for the last four years and I can highly vouch for his dedication and sincerity as a teacher. He cares about his students learning, in and beyond the classroom. Wonderful person, wonderful teacher.
I got to know ABshek through this website a few months ago for keyboard and music production. He truly understands the value of being an articulate teacher - he explains difficult concepts with great ease and sensitivity, which is immensely valuable to any beginner! I would definitely recommend ABshek if you are looking for someone to guide you through the art of vocals, music production or piano / keyboard.
ABshek has been one of the most inspiring tutors I have come across. I started taking music production lessons from him a year ago and recently started learning piano as well. I have seen immense progress in my ability to produce / play music while broadening my understanding of music as a whole. Highly recommended. Thanks ABshek!
closeby? Here's a selection of tutoring ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest music reading lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, guitar lessons for all!
Taking piano lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at their home||at your home||By webcam|