My teaching style is communicative. I believe and trust in the communicative methodology because it has been my experience that students learn English best by using the English language in class. I encourage my students to speak and play English games that require the use of the language throughout class.
My name is Brian Westland. I am an experienced ESL teacher from Toronto, Canada who is currently living in Oakville, Ontario following a 17-plus year teaching stint in Qingdao, China.
In China, I worked as an ESL/Business/Science Teacher. In this capacity, I taught English to children and adult students. I also taught business classes to adult students and science classes to primary and high school students. In addition, I taught IELTS speaking and writing to Chinese and Korean high school students, and I developed Western teaching methodology workshops for Chinese English teachers.
Outreach ESL Teacher Sept.2015 – Jan 2020
• Teach ESL classes to primary, middle school and high school students in a variety of schools in Qingdao, including No. 2 Experimental School, No. 15 Middle School, No. 5 Middle School and Ning An Primary School
• Provide feedback to school administration regarding students’ progress and behavior
Science Teacher (High School)
No.2 Middle School International Dept. Nov. 2011 - July 2013
• Teach biology, earth science and ESL, Prepare, write and mark exams,
• Write students grade reports and assign grades according to school guidelines
• Prepare lesson plans according to criteria set by academic director to ensure that learning objectives are met.
• Maintain students’ attendance records and other documentation including correspondence with parents and school officials.
Government of Canada- Canada Pavilion, Shanghai Expo May 2010 - Oct. 2010
• Provided interpretation of pavilion’s public presentation in Chinese and English
• Guided visitors through pavilion and saw to the safety and well-being of guests
• Assisted security staff with crowd control including crisis intervention, when needed
• Led VIP guests through pavilion and provided information and interpretation of exhibits while protecting them from the public
Around Asia Modern English- Qingdao Branch July 2007- May 2010
• Taught ESL and Business classes to adult students according to textbooks provided by the school
• Conducted assessments of students’ English language proficiency during the enrolment process of new students
• Advised school administration on the appropriate class difficulty level for students based on language assesments.
• Taught basic ESL to primary school students on weekends (ages 7-13)
ESL/ Science Teacher
Baishan School International Department
• Taught the subjects of ESL, science, art, and western culture to primary school students
• Prepared lesson plans according to my knowledge of individual subjects with the aim of providing entertaining and learning-rich classes
• Judged English-speaking competitions,
• Participated in parent/teacher meetings and demonstration classes for parents, visiting school administration and education officials
• Wrote and graded tests and wrote student reports
Century College Canada, China Branch
• Taught ESL classes to adults and children in a wide variety of locations, including in the city of Qingdao and other Chinese cities including, Qufu, Jimo, Changchun and Jilin City
• Interviewed prospective students to assess English competency and slot these students into appropriate classes levels
• Worked as host for “Made in China,” a video production company in Hangzhou, China that produces company videos
|at their home||at your home||By webcam|