My methods are to keep the student engaged at all times. I try to be as dynamic in my teachings as possible. I strongly believe that the teacher, when teaching conversation English, should let the students do most of the talking. Focusing on speaking, grammar and pronunciation, my structured approach is as follows: I always begin my class with a grammar lesson, followed by reading out loud and comprehension. I then present a short video followed by a few questions and answers which I pose about the video. The final part of my class is centred around scenarios, role play and presentations. There is always time for questions throughout each of my classes. A few times throughout each session I will assign some homework, but most work will be done during class time. The writing portion of an ESL course is usually done when I teach Business ESL classes.
I worked for the Government of Canada for 30 years. I am currently an ESL instructor for adults (college and university level). I have a Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of Ottawa and am TESOL/TESL/TEFL certified. I am also certified to teach Business ESL classes.
Per hour payment is required 48 hours prior to each class or arrangements can be made to pay in blocks (for example, a payment can be made for a 5-hour block). E-transfers accepted only (Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce). If students cancel 24 hours (or earlier) prior to the course date, a full refund will be given, or students can choose to replace the cancelled class to another date (upon agreement with the ESL instructor). No refund will be given if classes are cancelled less than 24 hours prior to the beginning of the class. If the ESL instructor cancels a class, the student will receive a full refund or the class will be scheduled (upon agreement between instructor and student).
2018 TESOL/TESL/TEFL Certification (Teaching English as a Second Language and Teaching Business English)
Oxford Seminars, University of Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
1992 Bachelor of Arts degree
University of Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
January 2017 (ongoing)
Instructor, English as a Second Language
Cégep Heritage College, Gatineau, Quebec, Canada
Instructor to adults, including federal government employees
• Speaking (pronunciation), listening, reading, comprehension, vocabulary and grammar
• Monitor/assess progress of students and their language skills/level
• Prepare course outline and relevant course material, including student evaluations
December 1989 – December 2019
Government of Canada employee (various departments)
Various titles: Director, Senior Analyst, Planning Analyst, ESL/FSL linguistic mentor
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
• Interdepartmental Committee representative on Canada’s Drug Strategy
• Chairperson - Public Service Employee Survey Working Group
• Advisory Committee on Management Excellence
• Strategic Planning Network
• Environmental Scan Network
• Community of Practice on Human Resource
• Chairperson: Canadian Heritage Planners’ Communications Committee
• Secretariat for the following committees: Integrated Planning Committee; National Historic Sites
Renewal Committee; Internal Audit Committee; Operational Review Committee; Information Management/Information Technology; Programs Steering Committee; Change Review Working Group; Enterprise IT Working Group; Employee Engagement Committee; Employment Equity and Diversity Committee
• Microsoft Word, Powerpoint, Excel, Performance Management System, PeopleSoft, Microsoft Teams, Zoom
• Fully bilingual: French and English (speaking, reading, writing)
• Instructor of English as a Second Language and French as a Second Language (for adults)
Available upon request
closeby? Here's a selection of tutoring ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest vocabulary - english lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, oral expression - english lessons for all!
Taking writing comprehension - english lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at their home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||Not available||$35|