Chemistry is a complex subject which entails knowledge and understanding of formulas, compounds, elements and many other things. This is why it's not surprising to see more and more students across Canada struggling to understand chemistry as a subject and get the results they expect when enrolling in chemistry courses.
That said, there are also a lot of students who are passionate about chemistry and want to find the best way to explore that passion through extra-curricular classes or even pursue a degree in chemistry.
Whether you are looking for some help to improve your chemistry skills or want to learn more and get deeper into the subject, this article will outline some options for you to find chemistry classes or chemistry lessons in Montreal, Quebec, be it with a private tutor or through an academy in the Montreal area. Keep reading to learn more!
If you want to learn more about studying chemistry in Toronto, head to our article here.
10 Examples of Chemistry in Day to Day Life
Before diving into chemistry lessons and how to connect with a chemistry tutor in Montreal with the help of Superprof, we are going to talk a little about chemistry itself.
Regarded as the central science, Chemistry involves the study of how different substances change colours, shape, size and their forms when reacted with another material or a set of substances. Chemistry is a big part of our everyday lives. We find chemistry in foods, the air, cleaning chemicals, our emotions, and literally every object we can see or touch.
Chemistry and chemical reactions are not just limited to the laboratories but also the world around you. The element carbon forms the basic unit of organic, inorganic, and organometallic compounds. Right at the moment when you go to sleep till you wake up, infinite chemical processes are taking place in each cell of your body.
Thing is, because chemistry is the study of the composition, structure, properties, reactions, and behavior of substances, it is considered as the central science. It is the essence of our everyday lives and occurs in the food we eat, the air we breathe, the water we drink, everything is a result of chemical processes.
Here are some examples of chemistry that happen every day around us and you might not have realized before:
- Digestion and eating: Right from chewing till digestion, there are many chemical reactions that take place. Once the food goes down to the stomach, it gets mixed with HCL (Hydrochloric Acid) which is released by the walls of the stomach. This makes it one of the most common examples of chemistry in everyday life.
- Emotions: Whenever you are feeling happy, sad, ecstatic, relaxed, or stressed, there are many chemical reactions taking place in your body. It is because of the chemical messengers called neurotransmitters released in the brain. Feelings like love and anxiety have to do with these chemical processes.
- Out metabolism: the organic processes taking place in the human body are termed as metabolism, which involves huge number of chemical reactions. The enzymes that are secreted by different organs act as biocatalysts that speed up the rate of these reactions, whereas the hormones regulate their occurrence, time, and speed. Our well-being, smooth functioning and normal health depends on these metabolic processes.
- Food production: Plants produce food for themselves through photosynthesis; which is a complex chemical reaction in itself. The chemical reaction that takes place in photosynthesis is the most common and vital chemical reaction. Animals also release energy for carrying out daily activities through similar respiratory chemical reactions.
- The way medicines work: Do you know why is there a specific medicine for every disease? It happens because, in every disease, a different biological or chemical reaction takes place. This is also why different chemicals are needed to help patients get cured.
- Soaps: The act of cleansing using soap is based on its ability to act as an emulsifying agent. Soap is a sodium or potassium fatty acid salt; produced by a chemical reaction called saponification. Soap interacts with lubricating or oil molecules, which, in turn, produce a cleaner surface.
- Leaves changing colour: Typically, leaves are green due to chlorophyll used for photosynthesis. However, before winter, chlorophyll in the leaves breaks down. As the chlorophyll breaks down, the carotene and anthocyanins naturally in leaves all summer long take center stage creating those beautiful red and yellow colors.
- Sunscreen and sunblock: Sunscreens use a combination of organic and inorganic compounds to act as filters for incoming ultraviolet light. On the other hand, sunblock has more reflective chemical properties and blocks UV-A and UV-B radiation.
- Breathing: Breathing is the exchange of gases between an organism and its environment. Respiration is a chemical process, which is a reaction between glucose or sugars with oxygen, that release energy. It is the process in which inhalation of oxygen from the air causes inflation of the lungs, and then deflation occurs by exhaling carbon dioxide into the environment.
- The colour of the sky: The blue color of the sky can be explained in view of a phenomenon called Rayleigh scattering which consists of scattering light by particles that are much smaller than their wavelengths. This effect is very strong when light passes through the gas.
As you can see, chemistry is all around us and without it we wouldn't exist. If you are hooked by this and want to keep learning more about chemical reactions and chemistry in our lives, it might be time to find a chemistry course or chemistry class!
Keep reading to find out more about the options for chemistry courses in Montreal, Quebec.
Do you want to learn more about chemistry lessons in Vancouver? Head here!
Study Chemistry in Montreal, Quebec
Are you looking to dive deeper into your chemistry studies? There are plenty of excellent programs and academic institutions that offer chemistry courses and chemistry degrees in Montreal. Here are some you can explore:
- James Lyng Adult Education Centre: Students attend James Lyng Adult Education Centre for a variety of reasons that include: working towards a High School Diploma, learning French and English conversation, finishing pre-requisites for career training programs or obtaining the necessary credits to enroll at CEGEP or University. They have a variety of courses including pre-collegial chemistry, a one-year pre-collegial program designed for those wishing to enter CEGEP in the Pure and Applied or Health Science Programs. Through an experimental approach, the student develops a sense of environmental issues while acquiring an understanding of the relationship between science, technology and society.
- McGill University: if you are looking for a place to take your interest of chemistry to a professional level, McGill University is the right way to go. They have several programs, including an undergraduate one. According to their website: "As a chemistry graduate, you may choose to pursue graduate studies, positions in industry and teaching, or further studies in professional programs in medicine, law, business administration, and public health."
- TAV College: TAV College is a comprehensive, bilingual, post-secondary learning institution located in the Côte-Des-Neiges-NDG borough of Montreal, Quebec, Canada. They offer over 15 career or pre-university programs of study including one named Health Science. Health Science is a two-year pre-university DEC program that prepares students to pursue university studies in a broad range of fields relating to the health or physical sciences such as exercise science, biology, chemistry, ecology, environmental science, neuroscience, physiology, and more.
- High School of Montreal Adult Education Centre: this centre offers a complete range of traditionally taught academic courses leading to a Quebec High School Leaving Certificate. They also offer all pre-requisite courses that students need in order to enroll in Vocational Training programs or CEGEP.
Head to this article to learn more about studying chemistry in Windsor, Ontario.
Find a Chemistry Tutor in Montreal, Quebec
If you want to find the best chemistry lessons in Montreal, Quebec but aren't quite convinced by the options shown above, we have another option that might just be what you need: private tutoring.
Through our platform you can connect with chemistry tutors all over Montreal, Quebec and the rest of Canada who are ready to share their knowledge and prepare you to become the best chemistry student.
The best part is that private tutorials are typically tailored to each individual student so you will be able to learn at your own pace and focus on the subjects and themes you want to learn so you can reach your goals. For example, if you have a test on a certain theme, you can ask your private tutor to help you find the best way to prepare for said exam.
All you need to do is conduct a quick search on our web and find the available profiles in your area. You will see there is a wide variety of profiles and budgets so make sure you pick the one that best aligns to your needs.
Get ready to learn chemistry with Superprof!
If you want to learn more about chemistry classes in Calgary, head here.
The platform that connects tutors and students