- Why Learn to Write Long-Form Essays In English?
- Writing In English Can Be Challenging
- Develop Your Thoughts And Ideas In English
- Writing A Thesis: Tips To Develop Your Essay
- Dissertation Proposal: Master Sentence Structure And Format
- Improve Your Writing: Master English Spelling
- Structure Of A Dissertation In English
- Tips on Dissertation Structure, Outline And Strategies
- How To Write A Thesis: The Best Advice For Students
- Dissertation: Tips For Writing An English Thesis
Becoming proficient in anything means practising it and this is especially true when learning a new language. Therefore the best way to learn English is to make sure that you're reading, writing and speaking in English. This is especially true when you have to write a dissertation in English.
The chance to improve your language skills, can open up so many opportunities for you in life. Opportunities which include the ability not only to travel, but work around the world within the English speaking market. New and wider opportunities that would be open to you, and a sense of self-pride at being able to work hard to achieve this goal.
Why Learn to Write Long-Form Essays In English?
A dissertation is a long-form essay that many and most colleges and universities ask their students to write, as a final piece of their studies.
Students are trained and given guidance on how to do this before the final assignment, and given the format with a dissertation students are able to go further into their arguments and present new ideas.
For many writing an essay in english like a dissertation can prove to be very challenging. It can be nevertheless a very valuable piece of work in helping you to learn to write in English, and to communicate in english more fluently. Although this can be a quite a challenge, completing a dissertation in english means that there will be no piece of writing too challenging for you to complete confidently.
Writing In English Can Be Challenging
It is true that for ESOL students, writing in English can be challenging for many reasons:
- Dissertation requires research of content that informs the reader in another language.
- Writing in English is not the same as in your native language. Being able to find the right words to use in english, with eloquence and clarity to make your points.
- Finding a way to translate in english with the same sense and nuance can be difficult
Develop Your Thoughts And Ideas In English
Learning how to write your dissertation in English is not just useful when writing for your college or university. Practising the writing of a dissertation in English will help you to develop your thoughts and express your ideas on a wide range of topics. In addition, it can only help you to improve your confidence in writing and speaking in English.
Writing A Thesis: Tips To Develop Your Essay
Whatever the level your vocabulary is, you will be pushed and challenged to learn new words and phrases when writing a dissertation. If you only have a limited vocabulary, you will not be able to express fully your ideas so it's an opportunity to expand your english vocabulary as you endeavour to write and complete your dissertation.
The best ways to acquire new vocabulary is by using the dictionary and translating with the use of a bilingual dictionary or app. your ideas in english as your write. Also helpful is to ask an English teacher or English speaking native speaker who can provide you with some support on your vocabulary and phrases.
Although there can be many ways to say or express things in english, it's important to let your words communicate your ideas as powerfully and as clearly as you intended. Language acquisition becomes a critical part of any high-level writing project, and this is true for native speakers of English and especially for ESOL Speakers.
Dissertation Proposal: Master Sentence Structure And Format
Mastering how you sentence structure an form is also essential when writing high-level texts in English. The correct use of grammar, verbs and tenses, word coordination phrasing, and overall general structure is necessary for all aspect of the English language.
To be understood and fully accepted you need to ensure that your text is written coherently within complex sentences that still retains the perfect sentence structure. Learning how to write a dissertation gives you the opportunity to progress with your writing quickly, allowing you to delve deeper and more meaningfully into your topic.
Improve Your Writing: Master English Spelling
It's essential that as you learn new vocabulary, the correct spelling and sense of all the new words that you will be learning and using as you progress in writing your essay. Spelling is essential of course, wrongly spelt words can give a poor sense of the overall effectiveness of the dissertation.
Structure Of A Dissertation In English
In order to succeed in writing in English, it's essential to know the structure of whatever you are writing. Once you have the topic that you want to write about and the issues involved that you wish to highlight, you can begin. This is then the time to think about how you want to structure your dissertation.
Tips on Dissertation Structure, Outline And Strategies
- The introduction, the foundation of what the dissertation or essay will be about.
- The main section, deals with the topic as you wish to present it. A good idea to do some editing and structure numerous subheadings within the main sections of your essay.
- Subheadings, allows the reader to be primed for what's next, showing the contents of the essay and an idea of the context before they delve into reading the entire paper.
- The closing paragraph or conclusion, essential part of the essay that reveals your closing thought on the topic.
- It is imperative for the reader after they are lead down the path of your dissertation, that they have the closure on the topic and your critical thoughts and conclusions upon it.
Your essay will always begin with an introduction on the subject or topic and your take on it. This should reveal the context of the essay and what is to come. You should within a few concise paragraphs get to the point of what you are going to discuss in your essay.
An excellent way to separate the topics or main points within your dissertation is to use questions as your subheadings, or use captivating headings. Separating your essay into parts is easier for you to organise your thoughts as you write and also helps the reader. The subheadings therefore helps the reader follow the development of your ideas.
Once you have completed your essay with its main points and arguments, you have to plan the conclusion, which is just as important as the introduction. The conclusion should bring the answer to the essay that was formed at the introduction, and close it with your final arguments to some kind of conclusion.
How To Write A Thesis: The Best Advice For Students
Once the structure is decided, just begin writing, you can start writing letters, blog posts or anything to practice writing. Although it may seem like there is a mountain to cross when you first begin, you will be challenged to find the right words and phrases and it will prove to be one of the best overall learning experiences to improve your english skills.
To empower your writing and avoid mistakes, try and focus on the structure of the essay and the content of what you want to say.
English conjugation may not aways be easy but respect the rules and verb tenses to be grammatically correct. Be creative with English to make your point and keep the text interesting for the reader.
There is a lot to remember with grammar, past tense, the present tense, the simple tense, the perfect tense, auxiliary verbs, not to mention irregular verbs, adjectives and infinitive verb tenses, so it's important to know how to use them properly and include a variety of tenses within your essay.
Find out how to take English courses in Vancouver.
Dissertation: Tips For Writing An English Thesis
Ready to begin? These tips can help clarify your ideas. So when you are ready to begin your essay in English, try these tips to empower your dissertation writing:
- Research your dissertation topics.
- Use a dictionary and thesaurus (bilingual)
- Make as structured writing plan.
- Use short clear sentences
- Find your writing style to help keep you motivated
- Follow the guidelines and format
- Use correct punctuation.
- Get dissertation help or guidance if needed
- Avoid going off topic, stay focused
- Break up the essay into relevant parts.
- Get advice from English speaking teacher or native speaker for opinion or suggestions.
- Make a point and provide information to support your point.
- Use discipline and properly research with references.
- Form a graduate student study group.
- Proofread everything you write.
Despite the difficulty of writing an essay and dissertation in English. With more practice, it will become more natural and almost second nature, but in the beginning, it will take some time to get there. Stay focused throughout the English editorial and you will master the topic and the writing in english!
Read our blog on how to write to friends so that you can practice your English here or find a tutor to help learn English online!