Do you want to learn English in Montreal? If you are looking for the best English classes in Montreal, Quebec, tips to learn English faster and how to find the best English tutors in Montreal, you have come to the right place.
Canada is a country of diversity, where people come from different corners of the world to build communities. This means that the offer of language learning in Canadian cities is quite rich, with everything from Spanish to Chinese and French being a regular in the language courses.
English is no exception. Whether you are learning English as a second language or trying to perfect your English skills for a professional or academic setting, keep reading to find out more about studying English in Montreal, Quebec.
Tips to Learn English Faster
Learning a second language can be challenging for anyone, especially if you are already living in a setting where said language is spoken but you haven't quite gotten used to using it on a daily basis. If this is your case, you are probably in a rush to learn English as fast as possible. But, how to achieve this?
Are you looking for an English class in Toronto?
Check out some of our tips to learn English faster:
- Listen to a lot of English: believe it or not, listening to a lot of people speaking English is a great way to learn without even realizing it. This learning happens when we listen to lots of English and when we are not paying a lot of attention. When you hear that English is in the background, your brain automatically absorbs the sounds, accents, words and grammar, even though you are not listening well, speaking or taking notes. Sounds crazy? Well this happens because, even if you don't understand what the words mean, when we listen to the language we hear the patterns. It is a more natural way to learn. So try to watch TV in English, listen to English music and listen to audiobooks in English. Go to places where you can hear native English speakers talk to each other. Listen to as much spoken English as you can.
- Talk to the mirror: it happens that you might not have anyone to regularly practice your English with. In that case, we have one suggestion for you: practice with yourself! Seeing yourself speaking English will not only be a great motivator, but making eye contact and speaking to yourself will also help you grow in confidence when it eventually comes time to speak English with someone else. Try to do this as often as possible and see yourself improve in no time.
- Learn the similarities with your native language: one of the hardest things about learning a new language is learning all the new sounds, especially if the sounds of English are very different from those used in your native language. The good news is that even though languages can be very different, they all share some similarities.
- Use word associations: when you use word associations you are connecting words with other words, sounds, movements, ideas or pictures. For example, when you hear the sound “woof,” you associate it or connect it with a dog. Learning words through associations is a very useful way to speed up your English learning.
- Learn what you actually like: when you’re in English classes, you have to learn whatever your teacher has organised for that day, but when you’re at home you can learn your own way. Try to tailor your learning around your hobbies and interests. For example, if you love cooking you can learn new cooking terms and words and if you love history, learn how you can make conversation based around this subject.
- Try to create the perfect English-learning environment: listen to things in English, ead things in English, watch things in English. Doing things in English will help you reach fluency faster.
- Read children's books: this tip is useful especially when you first begin. Children’s books use simple grammar and vocabulary with a lot of repetition which is why they are the perfect place to start your reading practice.
- Learn phrases, not words: even in your native language, some words have one meaning on their own, but a completely different meaning when they are put together with other words. As we listen to or read a sentence in English, try to look for these groups of words. One example of this could be to tell the difference between "I danced" and "I danced under the rain". Both things have a completely different meaning solely because they are in a different group of words.
The final tip we can give you is to enroll in English classes or English tutoring to learn in a formal setting. Are you looking for the best English schools in Montreal? Keep reading!
Do you want to study English in Vancouver?
English Schools in Montreal
Even though Montreal is in the middle of a French speaking province, English is still widely used on a daily basis and taught in schools both for Canadians and international students alike. If you are looking for the best English school in Montreal check out our list below and make sure you do some research before choosing the right fit for you:
- EC Montreal English Language School: in this school you can study Academic English, learn the language of work and business, or simply increase your conversational skill by mastering a new language. You can start learning English online in live classes with qualified EC teachers, take on the General English course where you attend a core of 20 lessons per week, which will give you a practical understanding of the English language or study English for Business.
- Bouchereau Lingua International: According to their website "all of our English and French courses have been designed to meet the needs and interests of our students, and are based on a dynamic and communicative approach that will not only help the students become fluent and proficient in a language, but also will give them the tools to succeed at a global level." They offer English and French courses in Montreal and Quebec City. You can take General English, Online Courses, IELTS preparation, Business English and even Pathway Programs.
- Upper Madison College: UMC is a leading education institution that includes a premium language school, a private career college, and a secondary school in Canada. Their programs are designed for international students to improve their English skills and expand their professional skills and knowledge. In their Montreal campus they have a General English program, 1 to 1 tutoring, IELTS preparation and Business English.
- Montreal International Institute of Language Arts: the Montreal International Institute of Language Arts, M.I.I.L.A., is "a one-of-a-kind institution which effortlessly combines a dynamic learning environment, a friendly and welcoming atmosphere and modern facilities." They have ESL courses as well as TOEFL and TOEIC preparation, Corporate courses and IELTS preparation.
- GEOS Languages Plus - Montreal: this school is part of a large global network of schools that have been dedicated to language instruction for over 40 years. According to their website, 'students benefit from variety in their daily classes. They are able to practice all of the English language skills because they get three different classes every day. Each class is taught by a different teacher. All our students take up to 90 minutes speaking and listening every day.' The programs they have available are: General English, IELTS Test Preparation, Private Tutorials and Under 20 Program University Pathways.
- YMCA International Language School: they are located in the heart of downtown Montréal and have a second virtual campus online. The YMCA International Language School offers private and group classes for both youth and adults, as well as corporate language training. Since their school has been accredited by Language Canada, Imagine Education et Emploi-Québec, you can rest assured that all of their teachers all have university degrees in the language they teach.
If you are not quite convinced that a traditional school setting is the right way for you to learn English, keep reading to find out how you can connect with an English tutor in Montreal with the help of Superprof.
English Tutors in Montreal With Superprof
Are you looking for a private tutor or interested in finding someone who can teach English online? Superprof is the platform that brings together students and tutors from all over Canada, Quebec and Montreal in order to create the best possible learning experiences.
Our tutors como form a variety of backgrounds and experience and all have different teaching methods. This is why it is important to find the right tutor for you.
Make sure you check out their profiles, ask about their pricing and ask all the questions you need as well as set the goals for your courses clearly.
Get ready to learn English with Superprof!
Find out more about learning English in Edmonton.
The platform that connects tutors and students