Are you looking for an English class in Toronto, Ontario? Do you want to improve your English skills for a professional setting? Or are you maybe looking to pass an exam that certifies your English level?
Whatever the reason, finding a good English school with good English tutors in Canada is important for those wishing to advance in the knowledge of the language and achieve their goals.
But, what are the best English schools in Canada and Toronto? What is the best way to find a private English tutor in Toronto? And what are the most important English tests you should take? Keep reading to find out more.
Find out more about learning English in Montréal.
Relevant Exams for English Students
If you are looking to certify your English skills for an academic or professional setting, there are various tests that you can look at that take into consideration everything that you learn in your English classes. Find the most popular exams and certificates for English students.
- TOEFL: The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) is one of the more popular English proficiency tests. Same as the IELTS, it is accepted in various Canadian universities. It was designed specifically to test knowledge of English as it is used in a college or university setting. The TOEFL takes around 4 hours and has two formats: the internet-based test (iBT) and a new paper-delivered test that replaces the old paper-based test which is no longer administered. It has various sections: reading comprehension, listening comprehension, speaking, and written expression.
- IELTS-Academic Version: The International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is accepted by universities and companies at an international level. There are two versions of the test: an academic version and a general training version. Universities require the academic version. The length of the test is three hours and the speaking portion is done in person with an examiner. It has a combination of multiple choice, diagram labelling, matching, short answer, and sentence completion.
- CAE: this test is part of the Cambridge exams, which are not as common globally as the TOEFL or IELTS. The Cambridge Certificate of Advanced English (CAE) is ideal for someone who is already well versed in the language and confident in an advanced level. It is an advanced test accepted as proof of C1 level English (equivalent to a score of 7-8 on the IELTS or 110-120 on the TOEFL). The length of the test is four hours and it can be done in person or on the computer. The questions are a mix of multiple choice, fill in the blanks, and matching.
- CPE: the Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English is, just like the CAE, used in UK university admissions. It tests knowledge of English at the C2 level (which is the equivalent of 8.5-9 on the IELTS and above the maximum score of the TOEFL). The test is four hours long and can be done both in person or through a computer.
English Schools in Toronto
Do you want to learn English in a school setting where you can interact with other students and learn from an international setting? These English language schools in Toronto, Ontario might just be the right option for you. Check out the offer and find the English course that best fits your needs.
- Language Studies International (LSI) Toronto: LSI has an extensive network of schools in England, Canada, the USA, New Zealand, Australia, France and Switzerland. They have one aim and purpose: to ensure that you get the best possible language learning experience. They have an international atmosphere with students from all over the world. At the end of your course, you receive a certificate, stating the course attended and the level attained, as proof of your language competence.
- International Language Academy of Canada - Toronto: ILAC is one of the most awarded English language school in the world, with campuses in Toronto and Vancouver. They are accredited by the bodies designated to oversee schools in the education industry in Canada and welcome students from more than 75 countries, making it one of the world’s most diverse schools to learn English. Their programs include General English, Cambridge English, IELTS Preparation, CELPIP Preparation and University Pathway Programs.
- Upper Madison College: founded in 2004, Upper Madison college is one of the best language schools in Canada. Their programs are designed for international students to improve their English skills and expand their professional skills and knowledge. They have a General English program (ESL), 1 to 1 tutoring program, IELTS preparation as well as a Business English program.
- Oxford International Toronto: they are an accredited, private education provider that "operates international colleges, English language centres across the UK, Europe, North America and an online learning platform to create life-enhancing experiences for students worldwide." They have both Cambridge English and IELTS preparation courses. Their English classes go from level A1 to C2.
- Royal Canadian Institute of International Studies: since 1999, The Royal Canadian Institute of International Studies (RCIIS) has been helping students from around the world learn English. They offer various English programs from beginner to advanced. They offer ESL Foundation, English for Academic purposes, IELTS Preparation, Power Speaking, Advanced Discussion: Contemporary Issues, Grammar, Writing, Customer Service English, Business Communication and many more.
- Connect International School: they combine challenging mobile and group lessons in a variety of real-world learning environments that go beyond the traditional classroom setting. They also pride themselves in helping students interact with the local community, experience Canadian culture, and improve their language skills. They have various programs which include: General English, Academic English, IELTS Preparation, Connect Toronto Life, Connect Toronto Business, Job Readiness, High School Preparation, Junior English and Family English.
- St. George International College: they are members of Languages Canada and meet all industry standards for ESL schools. They have after-class activities for students to enjoy when class is over as well as weekend outings and school events. SGIC offers 8 levels of English. Each level is 8 weeks (Except level 8 is 12 weeks). Their programs are: General English, PPP & UCPP, ESL, SSP, IELTS, i-TESOL, BEDP, TYCP and EFP.
- CES Toronto: Founded in 1979, CES has over 40 years' experience teaching the English language to students from across the globe. They have Junior Courses, Adult Courses and IELTS testing available at their Toronto centre.
- Kaplan International Toronto: Kaplan is one of the world’s largest and most diverse education providers. Founded more than 80 years ago in the US by Stanley Kaplan to expand access to education, Kaplan now has operations in 28 countries and offers education and training to more than one million students worldwide. According to their website, "Our immersive courses plunge you into the living language. Learn through dynamic tuition, unique study materials, and fun excursions in a fascinating English-speaking culture." They offer Elementary, Lower Intermediate, Intermediate, Higher Intermediate, Advanced and Proficiency levels. As well as online English courses for those wondering how to learn English online.
Which of these English schools in Toronto is the right choice for you? You can ask about their prices directly through their websites to make sure you get all the information you need to make the best decision.
If, on the other hand, you are looking for an English teacher Canada who can give you private English lessons, keep reading to learn how Superprof can help you on your mission.
Do you want to find English classes in Ottawa?
Tutors Near me In Toronto, Ontario
Private English tutors are an excellent resource for those English students who are looking for a more personalized approach to English learning. While enrolling in English classes at a school can be a great environment for some people, it is true that private English lessons with a tutor dedicated entirely to your learning can be more effective for others.
Superprof is an online platform that aims to connect private tutors and students from all over Canada and Toronto in order to provide the best possible learning experience. These tutors all have different backgrounds and experience and are ready to share all their knowledge of the English language with you.
All you need to do is find the right tutor for you. It all begins with a search of your database of private English tutors in Toronto where you will find hundreds of different profiles to choose from. Their prices vary depending on the skills and certifications of each tutor but you can expect an average per hour of English class of around $26 dollars.
Once you find a tutor that looks like they might be a good fit for you, ask for a free English lesson in order to get to know them and figure out wether you click and establish common goals. This is a great way for you to get a better idea of their teaching method and what you can expect from your English lessons.
Finding the ideal English tutor for you is a matter of clicks away and you can start perfecting your English skills with Superprof!
Find out more about learning English in Edmonton.
The platform that connects tutors and students