Most people dream of being able to speak a foreign language and becoming multilingual.
In most western countries, you mainly learn French, Spanish or German, as these languages are often perceived to be the most useful when travelling abroad.
However, over the years, Portugal has become a great destination, and Porto was even voted best European destination in 2017 by European Best Destinations.
Because Portuguese isn't usually the go to foreign language to learn, most people haven't mastered it in order to be able to communicate with a native speaker!
To practice speaking the Portuguese language, you can study alongside a qualified private tutor through traditional, interactive, or even fun classes for small ones.
You are probably wondering how to learn Portuguese, so here are some tips for studying European Portuguese or Brazilian Portuguese through private lessons!
The Advantages of Private Lessons With a Portuguese Teacher
Why is there a general interest in tutoring?
Because in-home private lessons offer a methodology that is much more interesting than traditional classes found in school!
You can take an online Portuguese course here!
Teaching foreign languages is not considered very efficient in high school or university, due to the overload of students per class.
The best way to learn a new language is through immersion, but if this not an option then the next best solution is private education.
A Portuguese course with a private tutor has many advantages:
- A much more personal follow-up than in class,
- A rhythm adapted to the needs of the student (intensive, regular...),
- Various educational resources,
- Custom Portuguese exercises,
- A tutor that the student chooses directly,
- The possibility of taking evening classes, classes during the school holidays or at weekends,
- More affordable rates than in a language school...
Other methods,such as learning Portuguese on an app, are great, but a Portuguese tutor can adapt their lesson plans to the level of the student (beginner - intermediate - fluent). This adaptability is something that you don't always find with other methods of language learning.
What's more, private classes are available to students of all ages - so whether you are a young student who wants to become bilingual or an adult who wants to discover a new Latin language, these are for you!
Your Portuguese teacher will teach you all the basic notions of the Camões language, from the tilde accent, to the "você" (the Brazilian way), and the oral diphthongs!
Where Can You Find a Portuguese Tutor?
Thanks to the advent of new technologies, private in-home Portuguese language classes have become more widespread. Today, parents no longer need to rely on word of mouth. It is possible to find a private tutor directly online to teach you or your child a second language.
To find a tutor born in Portugal, the student can go through:
- Classifieds in neighborhood shops,
- Classified ads in higher education institutions,
- The classifieds in the newspapers,
- Private tutoring agencies (Completude, Acadomia...),
- The online ads of Portuguese tutorse ( on sites like Tutor web or Superprof...).
Obviously, it is much easier to find the ideal tutor with an online tutoring platform, due to the fact that there are a lot more options than the traditional classifieds.
Future students may even choose to trust a remote tutor by taking Portuguese lessons via Skype if they are not happy with the choice in their community!
To increase their chances of finding a Portuguese tutor, internet users can make several requests to "test" the tutor's method: over 93% of our Superprofs offer their first hour of classes for free, which is ideal to test out tutors.
It's the same if you want to learn Italian, Mandarin, or Arabic; you will always need to right person with whom you can learn a language. Having the first hour free means you can see if the tutor you choose is right for you. Pay close attention to see if the pace of the class is right for you, and if the teacher has a plan to improve your language skills that you agree with.
Check here for some of the best Portuguese classes London.
How to Choose Your Portuguese Teacher
On Superprof, more than 1.3 million qualified tutors offer their services: something that will make you feel like you have a great array of tutors to choose from!
Before choosing the tutor that suits you, you should first make a list of your expectations and skills. You also need to know what your motivations are. You will be taught differently if you want a conversational level in Portuguese than if you want to study the grammatical structures in depth.
Learn the Portuguese language - great idea, but which one?
Yes, there are many differences between classic Portuguese and Brazilian Portuguese:
- For example, in Brazil, some Portuguese words are replaced by words of Indian origin ("pineapple" is called "abacaxi"...).
- Same thing for pronunciation: there is a difference between the Portuguese accent and the Brazilian accent, as well as a regional difference with Brazil according to the city that you find yourself in (Rio de Janeiro, Sao Paulo, etc).
The learner must take the time to read the teacher's description about him or herself. To learn about Brazilian culture or Portuguese culture, there is nothing like a native who hails straight from the country that interests you.
On the other hand, if the learner is more at ease in his or her native language, there is nothing to prevent him or her from choosing an Anglophone tutor who is an expert in the Portuguese language.
Here are the criteria to consider when searching for your tutor:
- The price of the course (a lesson with a tutor-student is often more affordable),
- The type of tutor: native or anglophone, according to the needs of the student,
- Course level: beginner, intermediate, or advanced,
- Portuguese that the tutor teaches: classic Portuguese or Brazilian Portuguese,
- Course type: traditional or distance learning,
- The diplomas of the tutor,
- The tutor's experience,
- The proposed educational resources,
- The availability of the tutor.
Apart from finding the ideal tutor, keep in mind these essential tips when learning a new language in general. The five following tips are from some of TED's most famous translators and will serve you on your quest for the Portuguese language:
- Get real. In order not to overwhelm yourself, pick an achievable target to keep your Portuguese learning progressing.
- Make language-learning a lifestyle change. Find a language habit that you can follow even when you’re tired, sick or madly in love.
- Play house with the language. The more you invite a foreign language into your daily life, the more your brain will consider it something useful and worth caring about. Take advantage of every opportunity that you can to be exposed to Portuguese. You could even try labelling everyday objects in your kitchen
- Let technology help you out. As well as using the many resources available online for learning Portuguese, try simple things like changing the language on your smartphone or computer. This will help you learn new vocabulary without even realising it.
- Think about language-learning as a gateway to new experiences. Try to mix your language learning with everyday experiences. Watch films or TV in Portuguese, eventually even without the subtitles. You could also search for recipes in Portuguese and try and follow their instructions.
OK...back to finding a tutor! Once you have found your ideal Superprof, you can get in touch with him or her to ask them some additional questions. It is sometimes essential to know more about the tutor themself, especially if the student seeks to learn more about Portuguese culture. After all, language courses are an opportunity to discover both the language and history of Portugal, Portuguese cuisine, and the lexicon of everyday life.
How Much Does a Portuguese Lesson Cost?
Private lessons allow you to learn the Portuguese language in a fun way and to progress in no time!
However, some parents are worried about the high rate of in-home Portuguese lessons London: do not panic, courses offered are suitable for all budgets.
Through a tutoring agency, you will sometimes have to pay an extortionate registration fee as well as the price per Portuguese class. This is why some people choose online platforms such as Superprof, which are more affordable and, unlike agencies, allow you to choose your own tutor.
The price of the class varies according to:
- The geographical region,
- Whether or not the teacher comes to your home (classes via webcam are usually cheaper as tutors do not charge for travel costs),
- Resources provided by the teacher (textbooks, subscription to online exercises, etc.)
- The tutor's experience (graduate professor, professor-student or native teacher),
- The linguistic level of the Portuguese class,
- The specificity of the class (special emphasis, dialects...).
Check out the prices of classes in your local area on the Superprof website!
If you are looking to learn how to hold a conversation in Portuguese, you may be content with one or two weekly classes. In fact, language learners are encouraged to deepen their knowledge through online Portuguese lessons or online Portuguese exercises, which are perfect for preparing their tutoring classes.
What's more, students can negotiate the price depending on the hours they have with the tutor. Tutors will often lower the price if you want slightly longer classes, or if you commit to a certain amount up front.
How Does a Portuguese Class Go?
That's it, it's now time for your Portuguese lesson!
Learning Portuguese on your own isn't for everyone. When being taught at home, the teacher is in charge of organizing the lesson. The first hour is usually seen as an introduction, during which the teacher gets to know their student, their expectations, as well as their final goal. Learning like this gives you external motivation and dedication through your teacher, something which you need to generate for yourself through self study.
The student must therefore define the linguistic level he or she wants to achieve, as well as advise if there is a deadline to finish the classes by (especially if there is an upcoming exam).
The Portuguese tutor will then be able to address all the essential notions of language proficiency:
- Portuguese vocabulary,
- Portuguese alphabet,
- Portuguese grammar,
- Portuguese adjectives,
- Portuguese personal pronouns,
- Portuguese idiomatic expressions,
- Irregular verbs,
- Differences between classic Portuguese and Brazilian Portuguese,
- Portuguese conjugation etc.
Your Portuguese teacher will propose a method that will best equip you to learn the language and memorize words and phrases so that you can fend for yourself if you go on a linguistic trip to Portugal or Brazil.
As the student, you must make a concerted effort in order to properly assimilate the tutor's teaching and enrich your vocabulary before your Portuguese lesson with your tutor.
After a few weeks of learning, the teacher will perform a skills assessment to judge your progress. The purpose of the language course is to help you improve your skills, whether in spelling, verb conjugation, or oral fluency.
Thanks to classes via webcam, you could even immerse yourself directly in Latin America and become familiar with the language while having the lessons remotely!
Finally, to full aid your learning, discover these cheap resources for learning Portuguese!