In one way or another, physics has everything to do with the world. It’s virtually impossible to go about the day and do not interact with anything that has something to do with physics. We should be thankful for this science for a lot of things.
A detailed definition of this science is that it deals with the various laws and theories of matter and everything that acts on them. Most of the time, as a subject taken in high school, students study physics in relation to heat, light, electricity, and space among others.
It’s through this period that most students decide to really pursue physics - a challenging course that reveals a lot about the world. Pursuing physics in higher education became a lot different in high school because it will eventually touch other sciences.
If you wish to pursue physics in the francophone city of Montréal, this article will be running through the universities that offer the course and the resources available to help you find a physics tutor Montréal area.
Learn more about Physics tutoring in Edmonton.
Best Universities in Montréal to Study Physics
Being the second most populous city in Canada, you can expect that this principle metropolis of Quebec is a busy city. It’s also known as a francophone city which means it’s a French-speaking city.
This city’s history has a lot to do with French due to the conquest of New France in 1763. Montréal was picked because of its great location and eventually became the reason why the city became a center for transportation, manufacturing, and finance.
After World War II, people started flocking to Montréal from all over the world - eventually making it a multicultural city. However, French speakers still dominate the city. Today, farmers benefit from being in close proximity to Great Lakes. This became a great source of water for farms and became the gateways of ships from North America into the city.
Given Montréal’s prime location and booming economy, this city has great academes and institutions to give quality education to its students. In fact, there are quite a number of options for those who want to pursue physics in this city.
Here are the top universities in the city and their respective physics courses.
Known for its state-of-the-art facilities and innovative research programs, McGill University is the only Canadian university that’s consistently been part of the top 25 universities in the world according to Times Higher Education Supplement.
There are over 300 fields of study in this university and 21 faculties and professional schools with their respective degrees. Currently, the university currently offers over 10 bachelor degree programs in relation to physics.
Here are the physics courses being offered at McGill University:
- Bachelor of Science in Physics
- Bachelor of Science in Physics and Computer Science
- Bachelor of Science in Physics and Geophysics
- Bachelor of Science in Physics with Biology for Teachers
- Bachelor of Science in Physics with Chemistry for Teachers
- Bachelor of Science in Physiology and Physics
- Bachelor of Science in Atmospheric Science and Physics
- Bachelor of Science in Chemistry and Physics
- Bachelor of Science in Chemistry with Physics for Teachers
- Bachelor of Science in Biology with Physics for Teachers
Studying in this university would cost the Canadian citizen around USD 9,040 per year and a foreigner around USD 27,390 per year. Living expenses would be around USD 650-1140 per month.
Learn more about Physics tutoring in Ottawa.
University of Montréal
Currently, the University of Montréal (Université de Montréal) is the largest university in Quebec and the second-largest in Canada with its two affiliated schools - École Polytechnique and the HEC Montréal.
This institution has over 13 faculties and 80 departments and schools that students can choose from. Moreover, it has over 300 research units that let students explore more about their fields outside the four corners of the classroom.
There are currently three physics-related undergraduate courses being offered at this university. Here’s a list of them:
- Bachelor of Science in Physics
- Bachelor of Science in Physics and Computer Science
- Bachelor of Science in Mathematics and Physics
Studying at this university would cost around USD 2,500 per year for Canadian citizens and USD 9.175 per year for foreigners. The cost of living would cost around USD 650 - 1,140 per month.
Home to world-renowned achievers such as Olympic gold medalists, Oscar winners, etc., this university aims to push its students to their limits in their disciplines. It’s one of the leading universities in Montréal in terms of research, teaching, and community.
It has over 300 undergraduate and 200 graduate programs in over four faculties and schools. Currently, the university offers one undergraduate program - Bachelor of Science in Physics. Students can also opt to take a minor in Biophysics for as long as they take a separate major or honors program.
Canadian citizens would have to spend around USD 26,000 per year while foreigners have to spend around USD 29,000 per year. As usual, the cost of living in Montréal is around USD 650 - 1140 per month.
These are the top universities in the city that offer physics courses to students. While the cost of living is fairly consistent given that they’re all located in one city, the cost of studying in each university greatly varies for bot citizens and foreigners.
Places to Find the Best Physics Tutor in Montréal
We all know that technology has drastically made learning easier for most people all over the world. Gone are the days where you still needed to go to the library and physically find a book that would help you understand a subject better.
Today, with the help of the internet, looking up resources only takes a couple of minutes. In fact, it’s that not the only thing that you can find online. For those who need extra physics homework help, there are tons of ways to find a physics tutor online - and it definitely begins with “physics tutor Montréal” on Google search.
One of the best resources available online is Superprof where you can easily find the nearest and most convenient tutoring services near you. The website offers bits of useful information that you can base your choice on.
From hourly rates to former students’ reviews, you can easily look for a tutor that meets your standards and budget on Superprof.
Learn more about Physics tutoring in Toronto.
Ways to Study Physics Efficiently and Effectively
We all know that when it comes to sciences, there are just so many things that you need to understand and review. Easy for those who get to absorb concepts quickly but a great challenge for those who need to keep on rereading.
Discover various physics crash course on Superprof.
While studying for hours on end makes sense, sometimes, it’s just not an efficient and effective way to study these days. Time is of the essence when it comes to academics and there’s just none to waste.
So, here are some tips on how to study physics efficiently and effectively:
- Review Everday - you retain more when you choose to review the topics every day than cramming them all the night before the test. Make sure that you dedicate a few minutes for reviewing to help absorb concepts easily.
- Schedule Study Sessions - this is completely different from reviewing every day. Compared to a daily review session, study sessions might take long hours and are usually scheduled before major exams. If you have an upcoming exam, start scheduling lengthier chapter reviews and solving problems.
- Solve Problems - there will be a time that you’ll be required to solve problems. It’s not going to be an easy task but if you keep on practicing and solving problems, you’ll master your own techniques and make solving easier for you.
- Ask for Help - when you really find the concepts hard to understand, don’t be afraid to ask help from your classmates or find a physics tutor who will help you understand the lesson. Don’t think of it as something embarrassing, instead, look at it as a fresh perspective on learning these concepts.
- Have a Study Area - it’s best to condition yourself that whenever you’re in a certain area, you can focus and study well. Find a study area that doesn’t have many distractions and is conducive to studying. It’s going to be much more helpful if it’s quiet and doesn’t feel too comfortable for sleeping.
These tips are just some of the most effective ones to get you through your course easily. At the end of the day, it’s your discipline and dedication to learning that will help you pass your subjects and graduate from your program.
It’s not a common thing for students to pursue physics because it’s simply quite an intimidating subject. But for those who are passionate about learning more about this science are up for very interesting college life.
The three universities that offer physics undergraduate programs in Montréal are some of the best ones in the country. All three prioritize quality education and have state-of-the-art facilities to aid learning.
Moreover, it’s easy to find a physics tutor in this city given that the internet is a very useful resource. But, as a student, it’s also essential to have your own set of good study habits to make sure you also help yourself during the course of your college life.
Learn more about Physics tutoring in some of the top Canadian cities.