Have you thought about studying engineering, but you don't feel like a math expert? Do you think that programming is your thing, but you think twice because you are not so fast with numbers? The truth is that having a good math foundation can open many academic and professional doors for you. This article will discover what skills you need to acquire to pursue your desired math career path. By investing a little effort and establishing a good plan, you will see that you can consistently achieve whatever you have in mind!
But firstly, would you like to have a little warm-up to test your math ability? Come on! Let's do it. Try to solve these math problems as quickly as possible. Some of the math problems have a bit of complexity but remember that it does not matter if you succeed. There are no failures here, just learning. And we must not forget that exercising our brain always has its rewards. Vamos! Are you ready to start? Discover if math is the right career for you!
Test yourself with these Math problems!
- In 3 (x - 4) = 18. What is the value of X?
- a) 10
- b) 15
- c) 8
- d) None of the above
- Each student can choose between 4 types of sweat-shirt and three types of pants in their uniform; how many possible combinations can you find?
- a) 12
- b) 24
- c) 48
- d) None of the above
- 4 x 4 - 4 + 4 x 4 = ¿...?
- a) 32
- b) 28
- c) -16
- d) None of the above
- A bus travels 24 kilometers per hour at a constant speed. How far will the bus have traveled in 3 and a half hours?
- a) It will have traveled 84 km.
- b) It will have traveled 86 km.
- c) It will have traveled 88 km.
- d) None of the above
- If x + 3 = y, what is 2x + 6?
- a) 9y
- b) 4y
- c) 2y
- d) 8y
- Lisa received a gift cheque for 100 dollars for her birthday. She bought some sports shoes that cost 30 dollars, a dress for 23 dollars and two books for 17 dollars. How much money is left in the gift cheque?
- a) none
- b) 30 dollars
- c) 13 dollars
- d) 17 dollars
What are math skills?
After our express warm-up (and maybe suffering a bit) let's get right into math skills. As we all know, mathematics involves a vast field of knowledge, and therefore you will need to acquire different skills depending on the sector you want to target. While it is essential to be familiar with basic concepts such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, proportions, percentages, fractions, decimals, etc., to survive in daily life and adulthood, the truth is that having good math skills goes way beyond this. We are going to focus on those skills that will allow you to understand even the most complex branches of maths to pursue your dream career or just pass all your exams smoothly.
But, what do we mean by having mathematical skills? We can define them as the ability to search for numerical properties and relationships and apply logical reasoning to choose a correct algorithmic procedure to solve an exercise or problem. We are going to focus on those practical skills at the heart of mathematical thinking for developing those valuable competencies, such as:
- Critical and analytical thinking,
- Quantitative reasoning, and
- Reading comprehension.
But then, does this means that the development of these skills will allow you to be the best in mathematics? Of course! We promise that your mathematical thinking will take off if you focus on working on them! However, as you may guess, all these skills are acquired and developed through practice, practice, and more practice.
Maybe even though some people have been incredibly good at math since they were children, it does not mean that nature has not given you the mathematical gene. You can become outstanding at math even if you think you are not naturally gifted, or even if you think you don't have a math brain. With patience, dedication, and practice, EVERYTHING is possible to accomplish. So definitely, here we can say that most mathematical skills are acquired and not innate. Factors such as our family life, a favorable environment, access to education, the type of school system, and our emotional state can directly influence our chances of mastering these mathematical sciences. So with this, we can say that "mathematical genes" do not exist and that the only thing required to be good at anything is to make an effort.
What does Math Anxiety mean?
In addition, we must point out something that affects a significant number of students. Have you ever heard of math anxiety? We mean more than just stressing over solving some math problem in front of the class by math anxiety. Math anxiety is a deep concern or fear in understanding and coping with mathematics-related activities. You can experience nervousness or discomfort, memory blocks, and poor school performance. That shallow breathing and sweaty palms could be due to this condition. So let's pay attention to this.
According to The International Academy of Education through the UNESCO Library, math anxiety can affect students differently. In the short term, it could affect academic performance due to the limiting thoughts characteristic of math anxiety, particularly when more mental resources are required, for example, during mental calculation. In the medium term, highly anxious students will avoid optional mathematics education. And in the long run, these students might even avoid math-related career opportunities. Not to mention of course, how math anxiety could compromise their self-esteem. So remember that if you have experienced any of these symptoms, you can always ask your trusted people for help to deal with them in the best possible way. You're never alone, my dear friend. Your teachers can likely give you a hand to improve this math anxiety. However, we believe that resorting to a specialist is the best option.
If you live in Ontario, you can find direct and free counseling support from the Mental Health Services of the Government of Ontario at 1-800-668-6868. You will also find educational resources and other support tools on their website. And, here you will find more support tools for Mental Health Services per Province.
Which skills are essential to improve in Math?
Math skills are always associated with broader cognitive abilities. It is strongly recommended that you acquire these skills since they could help you develop a more logical and coherent reality, a better understanding of problems, better reasoning, better precision in your results, and even greater creativity. Perhaps now you can find the link between the development of these skills and professional success. Tell us which company would not like to work with a candidate with this great profile. You will totally nail it!
As you have undoubtedly heard, we need these specific math skills to excel in school and develop our personal and professional growth. Let's go through all the mathematical skills you need to work on to make your academic and professional life more manageable. We are sure that there are way many more. However, we believe that these could give you a good base. Pursuing the career of your dreams requires you to focus on developing:
- Critical and analytical thinking: Critical-analytical thinking is essential to making better, more efficient decisions. Critical-analytical thinking consists of breaking down a complex problem into simpler parts. This differentiates a person who doesn't stop skirting around the issue and finds a solution quickly. People with critical-analytical thinking evaluate the possible causes of the problem to predict the different scenarios and look for specific solutions. Here are seven recommendations for you to develop this kind of thinking:
- Identify the problem.
- Research and write down the possible causes.
- Determine what data is relevant to take into account.
- Do not stay without asking questions.
- Determine what would be the best solution.
- Present your best solution.
- Analyze your decision.
- Quantitative reasoning: This is the ability to interpret numerical or non-numerical situations and solve them logically. To employ this type of reasoning, we must know how to:
- Carry out the interpretation of data: Read correctly and interpret tables, graphs, and diagrams to identify the relevant information.
- Formulate and execute: Identify the problem to reach solutions using quantitative tools.
- Evaluate and validate: Evaluate the conclusions you reached and seek validation through a math expert.
- Reading comprehension: Did you know that good reading comprehension is crucial for resolving Math problems? Reading skills, especially for mathematical understanding, are fundamental tools that we must develop to excel in math. We use different cognitive skills to solve a mathematical problem, such as conceptual understanding and mathematical logic. But before we can transfer the text to the mathematical language, we have to interpret it correctly. How can we accomplish this?
- First, you have to get into the habit of reading: Reading will help you better analyze the context and enrich your lexicon.
- Do not go so fast: A person with good reading comprehension knows how to adapt the reading speed to the difficulty of the text. We recommend slowing down your reading to identify all the relevant elements to execute the solutions efficiently.
- Constantly analyze the text you are reading. Ask yourself what, how, when, why, etc., to identify and understand the most complex elements.
- Ask for help: After several attempts, it is always good to reach a math expert if you cannot understand the text or problem. Remember that two heads are better than one!
Now that you know which mathematical skills you should develop to become an expert mathematician, you may wonder how to start practicing. One of the options could be solving some math problems and following some of the recommendations above.
Which are some Platforms to Improve Math Skills?
Thanks to the fantastic technology, today, we have access to thousands of platforms that can help you gradually develop these mathematical skills. Here we will take a look at the most popular educational platforms in Canada:
- Khan Academy is an excellent option for finding excellent virtual tools that will help you improve your math. You can find incredible lessons through videos, tutorials, and exercises designed specifically for you by experts in the field.
- IXL is an educational site where you can find lessons to practice any school subject you think about, languages and arts. This platform is also an excellent option because you will be able to evaluate your skills in those areas you need to improve.
- Edugain is another excellent math learning app that helps students improve in math through online homework, worksheets, and quizzes to assess their progress.
- Matific is an application by which you can develop your critical thinking and problem solving through the teaching of mathematics.
You can also better complement your study with virtual libraries that you can find all over Canada. For example, the Open Library - Open Educational Resources (OER) in Ontario allows you to access many textbooks and other educational resources. Another great option is the Ottawa Public Library (OPL), the most extensive public library in North America, where you will find excellent resources in English and French. And last but not least, the Toronto Public Library (TPL), provides free resources and great bibliography to start studying mathematics efficiently.
Would you like to know the best way to improve in mathematics? Find out the right way for you!
What is the best way to excel in Maths?
Have you thought about taking private lessons to get started on mathematics? Perhaps it could be the missing piece between you and your desired career path. If you think about it, private classes are an excellent option to learn about any mathematical branch that comes to mind. Prepare yourself in the best way to successfully reach your academic and professional objectives! If you are in high school and you want to go for maths don't miss this one!
Private classes can also be an excellent option to better prepare for exams or refresh your memory with algebra, calculus, or wherever you need to practice. Become an expert equation solver with the best math training at your fingertips.
Is it possible to improve mathematical skills through math tutoring? Of course, it is! Think about it; it will be easier for you to understand how to decipher algebraic expressions, quadratic equations and systems, and even exponential and logarithmic equations if you have the help of an expert. However, would you like to know more advantages of private tutoring? Let's discover them together!
- Review any math topic, no matter what academic grade you are in. You will find school support from math for grade 3 to more advanced math with a private tutor.
- Clarify your professional goals better. Imagine an excellent opportunity to learn more about the branch of mathematics you are interested in from an expert engineer or a software developer. Having advice from experts in your area of interest could give you great insights into a specific sector's working and academic life.
- Determine what specific math skills you need to develop. Perhaps you need to improve how to solve a mathematical problem under pressure. However, you may not have any issue with understanding the algebraic expressions. Well, you will achieve this with your favorite private math tutor.
- Be better prepared for any upcoming exams. You can analyze a mathematical problem, establish a strategy to solve it, and reach the result faster with excellent recommendations through private tutoring and access quality and verified support material for your study.
- Learn at your own pace and without stress! You no longer have to worry if you feel that it takes you longer to understand the exercises during the class. There is no rush with a private tutor, and you can go back to all those complex topics as many times as necessary.
Are you ready to become an expert in this marvelous science? It's time to bring out that mathematical genius inside you! Discover where you can find the best private tutoring throughout Canada! Are you ready?
Find the best private tutors with Superprof!
As you can see, the development of math skills depends on constant practice. However, you can always find the best private teacher to make a great team and develop all these competencies easily. A good tutor can help you develop critical and analytical thinking and find the best strategies to solve a mathematical problem. Amazing! But where to find the best private math tutoring in Canada? We are sure you have heard about Superprof!
Superprof is a global platform where you can find the best math tutors —or tutors in anything from finance, accounting, and even electric guitar, closest to you no matter which province you are in Canada.
Here you will find the best of the best! Superprof offers you online or face-to-face lessons depending on what you are looking for, and you can always choose the private tutor that best suits you and your pocket! You can discover thousands of private tutors through the platform and easily access the price per class hour of each and their expertise.
Having a good relationship with your tutor will always positively influence your learning. We recommend taking the free trial class to select the right tutor. In this way, you will learn more about their way of working, expectations, and personality.
Also, using Superprof is easier than you think! Enter the official website of Superprof Canada and discover thousands of private teachers ready to help you excel in math. Also, you can learn more about the education required for maths.
Check here for the best online math courses in Canada. Welcome to the fantastic Superprof family! Learning has never been so easy.
Solutions to math problems
We all know you were waiting for this moment. And that you can't leave without knowing the correct answers to your math trivia. For this reason, here you have what you were looking for! Let's hope you haven't cheated. Do not worry if your answers were not correct. You will be able to solve them all with your Superprof private tutor!
- In problem 1: 3 (x - 4) = 18. What is the value of X? The correct answer is a) 10.
- In problem 2: Each student can choose between 4 types of sweat-shirt and three types of pants in her uniform; how many possible combinations are there? The correct answer is a) 12.
- In problem 3: 4 x 4 - 4 + 4 x 4 = ¿...? The correct answer is b) 28.
- In problem 4: A bus travels 24 kilometers per hour at a constant speed. How far will the bus have traveled in 3 and a half hours? The correct answer is a) It will have traveled 84 km.
- In problem 5: x + 3 = y, what is 2x + 6? The correct answer is c) 2y.
- In problem 6: Lisa received a gift cheque for 100 dollars for her birthday. She bought some sports shoes that cost 30 dollars, a dress for 23 dollars and two books for 17 dollars. How much money is left in the gift cheque? The correct answer is c) 13.
- In problem 7: X is less than Y by a difference of 6 and Y is twice Z, what is the value of X when Z equals 2? The correct answer is a) -2.
We wish you better luck next time! Hasta luego amigos!
The platform that connects tutors and students