Edmonton, the provincial capital of Alberta, is one of the sunniest cities in Canada. Foreigners and tourists may enjoy a total of 30 festivals throughout the year including Bikeology Festival, Taste of Edmonton, International Festival of Winter Cinema, Edmonton Rock Music Festival, K-days and more.
Aside from these lively and colorful festivals, the city also takes pride in its high-standard education system. Most of the students in Edmonton are competitive and constant in getting high scores in academic subjects—particularly in Chemistry.
With that mentioned, Edmontonians and foreign students who finished high school degree with science and mathematics courses are encouraged to pursue higher education and may choose to specialize in various sectors of chemistry. These include :
- Pharmaceutical Chemistry or Medicinal Chemistry
- Materials Chemistry
- Analytical Chemistry
Furthermore, obtaining a chemistry degree will give every student in Edmonton an opportunity to have an interesting career in forensics, government agencies, pharmaceutical industries, research laboratories and many more.
Chemistry Degree in Edmonton
Chemistry is also known as the central science because it involves other natural sciences such as biology, geology, physics, and more. This subject deals with the properties of matter and its interaction with energy. Furthermore, central science can be broken down into five areas of study which are:
- Organic Chemistry - The study of chemicals which contains carbon with hydrogen.
- Inorganic Chemistry - The study of inorganic chemicals ( chemicals which do not contain carbon)
- Physical Chemistry - The study of atomic properties, macroscopic properties, and phenomena in a chemical system.
- Biochemistry - The study of chemical processes that can happen in all living things.
- Analytical Chemistry - The study of the composition of matter.
In another term, Chemistry is a study of everything that makes up the world. As such, Canadian and international students in Edmonton pursue a master's degree in Chemistry to further understand the fundamentals and principal aspects of central science.
Moreover, those students who obtained a master of science and Ph.D. in Chemistry can specialize in kinetics, combinatorial chemistry, theoretical chemistry and many more. Ultimately, pursuing these degree courses lead to careers in pharmaceutics, public sector, research department, or chemical engineering.
Also, here are the possible career opportunities for Chemistry Degree Graduates not only in Edmonton, but also in Montréal and other known cities in Canada:
- Analytical Chemist
- Cancer Researcher
- Cosmetic Chemist
- Communications Control Technician
- Food and Drug Inspector
- Environmental Auditor
- Hazardous Waste Management
- Forensic laboratory Analyst
- Occupational Health and Safety Officer
- Medical Librarian
- Quality Control Manager
- Organic Chemist
- Research Scientist in Nanotechnology
See how you can study Chemistry Vancouver here.
Study Chemistry at King University of Edmonton
In general, Chemistry is also about creativity. Chemists create and design new molecules and investigate their characteristics and reactivities. Bringing this creativity to work, they tend to team up with pharmacologists, material scientists, biologists, engineers, and environmental professionals to unveil the secrets of life’s structures.
King University offers chemistry programs where Canadian and international students gain in-depth knowledge and broader understanding with regards to the molecular world. They will be taught basic chemistry lessons and will get to learn how to visualize, describe, interact with, and grasp everything related to molecules with the help of knowledgeable professors.
Furthermore, the four-year chemistry course offered by this university is nationally certified by the Chemical Institute of Canada. Besides, graduates of chemistry courses at Kings University can proceed with a master's degree to become future Chemists of Edmonton.
Obtaining a Chemistry Degree in University of Alberta
University of Alberta (UAlberta) is one of the best universities in Canada and placed as the top 100 around the world. It is a huge, immersive, and inspirational institution that is known for its strong innovative teaching. On top of that, UAlberta consistently belongs in worldwide university rankings and stands out in different subjects, particularly in chemistry.
In line with this, UAlberta offers undergraduate, postgraduate and doctoral courses to all Edmontonians and international students who want to pursue a career in the field of chemistry. Here are some of their offered courses:
- Bachelor of Arts in Chemistry (Augustana Campus)
- Bachelor of Science in Chemistry (General)
- Bachelor of Science with Specialization in Chemistry
- Bachelor of Science with Specialization in Molecular, Cellular, and Developmental Biology
- Bachelor of Science/Bachelor of Science in Education- Chemistry
- Bachelor of Education in Secondary Education-Chemistry
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering Physics- Nanoengineering
- Master of Science in Chemistry
- Master of Science in Chemistry ( Thesis-based)
Doctoral Degree (Ph.D.):
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in Chemistry
With the chemistry courses offered by the University of Alberta—from undergraduate courses to PhDs—this institution is a great place to learn, grow, and develop your skills towards your desired chemistry career path.
Chemistry Programmes in Concordia University of Edmonton
Just like the renowned universities in Toronto, Concordia University of Edmonton (CUE) also offers a Bachelor of Science degree in Chemistry which focuses on the latest advancement in central science and challenges local and international students to alter the way they look at the world, life, and environment.
Through this program, you will earn skills and knowledge that are needed to pursue a fulfilling career in the field of chemistry. Concerning this, you can choose between a 3-year chemistry concentration or a 4-year chemistry major program if you will pursue your studies at the Concordia University of Edmonton.
Study Chemistry Lessons with a Private Tutor
Private tutoring is one of the most efficient ways to learn chemistry and understand complicated lessons at school. As such, an effective tutor will teach you how to study chemistry in the simplest yet effective way and guide you in choosing the right course that will suit your interests and strong spots.
In Canadian cities such as Edmonton and Ottawa, private tuition is available for all student levels—for grade school students, high school students, university students, and even the ones who are taking masters and Ph.D. courses.
Thus, regardless of whatever year level you’re in, a private tutor can give you supplementary lessons that will help you get better grades, ace the exams, and even enter your dream university while taking one of their chemistry courses.
Advantages of Private Tutoring
There are numerous advantages to taking chemistry lessons with a private tutor—from a one-on-one session to receiving tips and techniques from the experts. With that said, here are some of the benefits you’ll be gaining if you decide to get the help of a skilled and knowledgeable private tutor.
- One-on-one Session - You can get the attention that you wish if you choose to have a one-on-one session with a private tutor. In this set-up, you will be the priority and the entire curriculum will revolve on the lessons that you need.
- A more focused approach - Rather than going back to the basics or stick to a strict curriculum, your private tutor will focus more on the lessons that you want to learn and the ones that you need to improve.
- Convenience - A private tutor will help you get a good hypothetical grounding on your terms and based on your schedule. Besides that, you can have your private lessons at home, where you can study conveniently with a more relaxing atmosphere.
- Help you master your chemistry course - Though a tutor may not directly help you with getting a job, he or she can help you master your chemistry course. Through that, you’ll become efficient in your chosen field of specialization and your expertise will become your edge in getting a career in the world of chemistry.
- Adaptability - In private tutoring, you won’t have to adjust your schedule to attend private classes, instead, you can set your tutoring sessions around your calendar.
- Learn from the experts - Most of the tutor in Edmonton obtained master’s and doctoral degrees in chemistry, thus, aside from the supplementary lessons that they can provide, they can also give you some tips on how to get through careers in the field of chemistry.
How to Find a Chemistry Tutor in Edmonton
Finding a chemistry tutor around Edmonton is quite a task. But, fortunately, there are some simple ways on how to find a private tutor that can help you with your needs. The ways below are just some of the examples.
- Ask for recommendations- you can ask your teachers, friends, or family members if they knew someone who is qualified to teach chemistry subject or they can recommend an individual who is
- Search through the web- One of the most effective and easiest ways to find a private chemistry tutor is by searching for them through the web. Nevertheless, if you don’t know where to start, you can begin your search on Superprof. You can choose from more than a hundred tutors who offer tutoring services from A-level up to Doctorate courses. Additionally, several of them specialize in biochemistry, pharmaceutical chemistry, chemical engineering, and chemical biology.
- Check your local papers- you can also find a chemistry tutor in local shop windows and newspaper advertisements. However, if you will choose to look for a private tutor this way, you need to ensure that your prospected tutor will be able to provide references and DBS/CRB certificate to have a smooth transaction.
Check where to study Chemistry Calgary.
As one of the largest cities in Canada, Edmonton is also home to great universities and institutions that provide numerous opportunities for the students to pursue their dreams in becoming one of the experts in the field of chemistry.
So, if you are one of those students who want to have a career in forensics, pharmaceuticals, research industries and more, taking a bachelor’s degree in one of the great institutions at the heart of Edmonton is a great stepping stone.
But before that, you need to equip yourself with in-depth knowledge about the principal aspects of central science to be able to get high scores in Chemistry and become qualified to proceed to higher education. With that, a private tutor can help you learn more about the fundamentals of chemistry and even guide you until you obtain your degree in Ph.D.