Montréal, the largest town in the Canadian province of Quebec, is a vibrant and energetic city with a great vibe. It’s brimming with amazing cuisines, plenty of outdoor activities, great culture, and lively festivals just like in Edmonton.
In terms of education, Montréal also takes pride in its high-standard education system. The city is home to world-class institutions such as the McGill University which offers great opportunities for students who want to take the path towards fulfilling careers in the field of Chemistry.
With that said, Montrealers and other foreign students who completed a secondary degree with science and math courses are encouraged to enroll in higher education to take up chemistry courses. They may choose to specialize in several chemistry sectors such as Materials Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Medicinal Chemistry, Biochemistry, and more.
Chemistry Degrees in Montréal
The Chemistry department of Montréal’s Universities offers bachelor’s degree courses as well as for both master's and doctoral degrees. These programs covered both research and course work.
Thus, the M.Sc degrees include an essential research component and course work (basically 3 courses), culminating in the compliance of a thesis. The master's program typically takes two years to finish.
On one hand, the Ph.D. programs at Montréal train efficient students for careers in development, research, and teaching. The doctoral degree is considered a research program and it is rewarded generally for originality, independent research, and creative work. Students are required to finish four to five years to obtain a Ph.D. degree.
Furthermore, students who finished a bachelor’s degree may directly enroll in a Ph. D programs, hence, a master's degree course is not a requirement to proceed to a doctoral degree.
Moreover, here are some of the professions for Montrealers and international students who want to pursue a degree in Chemistry:
- Analytical Chemist
- Cosmetic Chemist
- Cancer Researcher
- Food and Drug Inspector
- Communications Control Technician
- Environmental Auditor
- Hazardous Waste Management
- Forensic Laboratory Analyst
- Quality Control Manager
- Occupational Health and Safety Officer
- Medical Librarian
- Organic Chemist
- Research Scientist in Nanotechnology
Chemistry Courses at McGill University
McGill University is one of the best institutions around the globe and is ranked 30th out of 20,000 universities across the world—according to the Center for World University Rankings 2019-2020.
This world-class institution offers undergraduates and graduates Chemistry courses that can be a great stepping stone towards everyone’s dream of becoming one of the renowned chemists of the world.
With that, here are some of the offered courses at McGill University that are open for all Montrealers especially for their international students:
- Bachelor of Science in Chemistry (59 Credits)
- Bachelor of Science in Chemistry- Atmosphere, and Environment (63 Credits)
- Bachelor of Science in Chemistry- Bio-organic (63 Credits)
- Bachelor of Science in Chemistry- Materials (62 Credits)
- Bachelor of Science in Chemistry- Measurement (62 Credits)
- Bachelor of Science in Chemistry- Biophysical Chemistry (66 Credits)
- Bachelor of Science -Honours Chemistry ( 71 Credits)
- Bachelor of Science -Honours Chemistry: Atmosphere and Environment (75 Credits)
- Bachelor of Science -Honours Chemistry: Bio-organic (75 Credits)
- Bachelor of Science -Honours Chemistry: Materials (74 Credits)
- Bachelor of Science -Honours physics and Chemistry (80 Credits)
- Bachelor of Science -Honours Chemistry: Measurement (74 Credits)
- Bachelor of Science -Honours Chemistry: biophysical Chemistry (75 Credits)
- Advanced Bio-Organic Chemistry (3 Credits)
- Drug Design (3 Credits)
- Biophysical Chemistry (3 Credits)
- Advances in Chemistry of Atmosphere (3 Credits)
- Methods in Chemical Biology (3 Credits)
- Chemical Kinetics (3 Credits)
- Master of Science in Chemistry (Thesis Base)
- Master of Science in Chemical Engineering (non-thesis)
- Master of Science in Chemical Engineering (thesis)
- Doctor of Philosophy in Chemistry
- Doctor of Philosophy in Chemical Engineering
The Chemistry department at McGill University provides a comprehensive research and teaching environment in the field of central sciences. The Bachelor’s degree graduate of this institution may go on and proceed to graduate studies as well as professional programs such as business administration, law, and public health.
Additionally, McGill’s Doctoral graduates may obtain excellent academic positions, postdoctoral positions, and research scientists position across Europe and North America.
Learning Chemistry with Private tutors in Montréal
One of the most effectual means to understand the basic and complex aspects of chemistry is by taking private tutoring classes. Whether you want to have better grades, pass your examinations, or get in a university, a private tutor might help you achieve that.
Private tutors in Montréal offer services to all student levels. They may teach students from grade school, high school, and university level, and even the ones who are taking graduate courses such as masters and PhDs. Nevertheless, the qualifications of a tutor may vary depending on what year level and field of specialization you are in.
For instance, if you are taking chemistry courses at a university, you need to find a chemistry tutor with in-depth knowledge about central science that can teach you more about your major subjects. But if you are taking a master's degree and Ph.D. courses, you need a more skilled and knowledgeable tutor who can help you get through your desired chemistry career.
Benefits of Receiving Private Tutoring in Montréal
Chemistry subject can be difficult—there’s a lot of theories to take in and not everyone loves to deal with formulas and mathematics.
So, if you think your chemistry classes at school is not enough to help you through A-levels or you’re having a hard time with your university classes, taking chemistry lessons with a private tutor is a great way to stay ahead.
Additionally, receiving supplementary lessons from a tutor gives you a lot of advantages. With that said, here are some of the benefits you’ll be getting if you find the right mentor to teach you the essential aspects of central science.
- Customized and a more focused approach - Most of the tutoring agencies and private tutors offer individual teaching or a one-on-one approach. Here, you can get the attention that you want and a customized session according to your needs and preferences. So, rather than sticking to a strict curriculum, your tutor will focus on the lessons that you want to grasp and the ones that need progress.
- Flexibility and adaptability - Another advantage of private tutoring is having a tutor who can be able to adapt to your timetable and can provide supplementary lessons according to your needs rather than following a fixed curriculum. You can set the tutoring sessions after your regular class or whenever you are free.
- Help you master your course - Chemistry tutors will give you supplementary lectures that will help you master your course. They will help you understand the principal aspects of chemistry to have a deeper understanding of anything related to central sciences such as organic compounds, chemical reactions, oxidation-reduction, thermochemistry, nanosciences, and more.
- Learn conveniently - In private tutoring, you can learn even at home. Your tutor will allow you to learn more intensively and help you with the theoretical aspects of chemistry based on your terms and schedule.
What to Consider in Finding a Private Chemistry Tutor
Either in Ottawa or Montréal, finding the right chemistry tutor has never been easier, whether you’re looking for a tutor who can help you raise your score in chemistry subject or a private teacher who can guide you in improving your skills and master your undergraduate or postgraduate course.
Nevertheless, what should be your considerations when you are actively looking for a chemistry tutor? The factors below are just some of the essential things you should consider when you are trying to find the best tutor to help you with your needs.
- Qualifications - When it comes to finding a private tutor to help you grasp the critical aspects of chemistry it is particularly relevant to know the answer to these questions—is the tutor an effective teacher? Has he or she obtained relevant courses, degrees, and or training in the field of chemistry? You need to keep in mind that whether a tutor is a professional teacher or an undergraduate student, he or she should always come with qualifications.
- Experience - Experience is an essential consideration in finding the right tutor to help you deal with chemistry. It is significant to look for a mentor who has been effective in tutoring students at your level using his or her customized approach. If he or she was effective with other students, there’s a huge possibility that such a tutor will also be effectual in teaching you the different aspects of Chemistry.
- Attitude - You should find a tutor who has an encouraging attitude and can teach you how to study chemistry efficiently. The right tutor should be able to keep you motivated, build a positive relationship with you, and can explain the complicated aspects of chemistry in the simplest and uncomplicated way.
- Flexibility - Another significant factor to consider is the flexibility of a tutor. Choose the one who can work around your calendar and can adjust to your schedule.
- Punctuality - Aside from the flexibility of a tutor, it is also essential that he or she can arrive on time or earlier than the scheduled session. You don’t want to have a tutor that shows up five to ten minutes late yet still ended the session on time.
Montréal just like the largest city in Canada which similar to Toronto and is a great place to pursue a career in chemistry. McGill University is one of the great institutions across the city which offers undergraduate and graduate chemistry courses for the local and international students in Montréal.
These programs are great stepping stones towards a fulfilling career in the field of central science. Besides that, private tutoring is also an effective approach to understand the basic and critical aspects of chemistry. With that, you can be able to prepare yourself to deal with a greater challenge of pursuing your ambition to become a chemist, scientist, researcher or any other profession that you desire.