- There are 1.3 billion Chinese speakers,
- China is the 2nd world power,
- There are approximately 3.8 million Chinese people in the United States,
- Chinese is the 5th most learned foreign language (Mandarin Chinese)...
For academic, professional, and even cultural reasons, every year, more and more American people want to learn Chinese!
Not all students are lucky enough to live near a school providing lessons in the Confucian language. For this reason, they have to turn to Chinese tutoring.
Are you one of the many who dreams of teaching Mandarin to students with different profiles?
At the end of this article you will have learned all the methods for giving quality Chinese lessons and perfecting online tutoring jobs!
For your first class, let your students reflect on this Chinese proverb:
"Knowing one's ignorance is the very best part of knowledge..."
Check out various options for teaching Chinese here.
How Can One Become a Chinese Tutor?
First of all, is it necessary to have certain diplomas in order to become a private Chinese tutor?
The answer is no.
Diplomas are not required to tutor in Chinese.
All you need is a perfect command of the language and a passion for transmitting knowledge to students. Moreover, if you have an atypical profile, this can be attractive to certain students!
University students, native Chinese students... Anyone can teach the Chinese language.
Learning a language is not a trivial exercise, so you will still have to show good pedagogy and empathy to help your future students during their language learning adventure.
You will also need to find out what teaching Chinese means for you in terms of taxes. It varies according to whether you teach free-lance or with a company.
Do you have dreams of teaching Chinese but are a bit lacking in your language skills?
There are university degrees designed to help you acquire the language:
- Chinese Language and Literature Bachelor's Degree,
- a Master's Degree in Chinese Studies.
These degrees will lead you to having the diplomas required to be a teacher in university or school.
If you study these degrees, you will be able to make several trips to China, for example.
As we know, diving directly into a country's culture allows for quick oral progression in the language.
Take advantage of these linguistic stays to perfect your Chinese language skills and then teach the language upon your return.
Here are some tips on how you can attract Chinese students to your class
How To Find Students Who Want to Learn Chinese
When you start your career as a private tutor, the most complicated thing will be finding Chinese students.
There are many methods for you to find them, however.
Proposing Chinese Lessons to Your Close Environment
The first step is to make your new activity known to those close to you. Word-of-mouth may be how you find the first students who are eager to learn Chinese with you.
Share the information with your family and friends. In turn they will inform their own entourage.
As a result, your neighbors will learn about your new activity!
This may happen with door-to-door visits or classifieds in their mailbox. These are two effective techniques to let them know quickly.
You should also go to the shops in your neighborhood.
When a student or his or her parents are looking for a private tutor, where the teacher is located is one of the most important criteria.
The majority will note your ad, and some may even contact you right away.
This method can pay off if you live in a large American city.
If you place your ad in a New York business, you will reach a wider audience. Think of supermarkets, which are usually more crowded and full of future students!
Be careful with your ad. It should attract people's attention and include crucial information like:
- What type of class it is: evening classes, distance learning, home study, Chinese intensive course, etc.
- Target audience: Chinese language lessons for schoolchildren, students, adults.
- The learning tools and educational materials used,
- Your references: pedagogy, diplomas, experiences, language trips in China, etc.
Let Businesses and Schools Know About Your Classes
Find out about the rate of a Chinese tutor here.
Do you aim to give Chinese classes to high school or university students?
Then head over to the middle schools, high schools, and universities.
It's in those schools you will find the majority of your future students. And they will all be dying to try your Chinese courses!
Schools offer two advantages:
- Schools teaching the Chinese language: students will be delighted to have a Chinese language expert to help deepen their knowledge and help them pass Chinese tests.
- Institutions that do not teach Chinese: Students will want to contact you for an introduction to the Chinese culture and/or to learn the language of the Middle Kingdom.
Do you want to teach professional Chinese to adults?
If this is your wish, it will be necessary for you to start with the large international companies.
In the years to come, mastery of the Chinese language will be a professionalasset if you are looking to work in a big corporation.
You can also offer your services to improve oral and written comprehension of the Chinese language in colleagues.
Is Superprof A Good Platform for Teaching Chinese?
If you are a student, a bilingual Chinese-American, or simply a Chinese native teacher, you will be able to find students on Superprof by first registering on the platform!
Superprof is a modern solution that will allow you to quickly gain visibility with students.
Today, everyone uses the internet. Because of this, more and more Internet users resort to Superprof to find a private tutor
Not just Internet...the social networks are a big part of how people find tutors today, too.
Why not appeal to your students directly on Facebook and Twitter?
This will mean they will see you as a modern and ultra-connected teacher--this could seduce even more students!
How to Organize A Chinese Class
You've found your first set of students motivated enough to learn to speak and write Chinese? Congratulations.
Now, here are 4 tips to prepare a Chinese-Mandarin lesson which will scream quality learning!
Organization, methodology, pedagogy, and originality are all on the menu!
- Organizing your Mandarin course
You must respect an important rule: being organized and methodological. No room for improvisation! As a private tutor, you will be confronted with students that have different profiles and expectations.
So that your students get ahead quickly and learn to cope with the difficulties of Chinese linguistics, it is imperative to:
- Identify their needs,
- Prepare your Chinese lessons and exercises in advance,
- Explain the progress of each session to the student,
- Teach the student that practice is essential,
- Plan for assessments in order to track progress.
Each student learns at his or her own pace. You will also learn to manage your time!
- Diversify your educational materials
Chinese textbooks, web resources, learning applications...When you tutor in Chinese, you have the possibility to vary your educational supports as you see fit.
The most important is to include supports that make your lessons more playful and original!
Here are some guidelines in preparing your Chinese lesson plan
- What Form Will Your Lessons Take?
At home, via webcam--you are free to choose what suits you best.
If you opt for remote tutoring, you will find someone to teach right away.
In the digital age, webcam classes are breaking the barriers of localization and allowing for more lessons (less time is lost in transportation).
- Learn how to personalize your Chinese classes
When a student decides to call on a private tutor, he or she will expect personalized support to help him or her acquire the concepts he or she expects to learn.
- Learn Chinese writing (pinyin, Chinese characters, Chinese calligraphy),
- Understand the history of China,
- Prepare a trip to China,
- To learn about Chinese culture (painting, literature, gastronomy, rituals),
- Learn to speak Chinese (vocabulary, pronunciation, phonetics, conversation rules).
Students' expectations are diverse. It is up to you to accentuate certain points and accompany them to success.
How To Fix Your Rates for Chinese Courses
Should you ask the student to pay you hourly? Should the amount be paid over several months? How does one price his or her Chinese lessons?
The remuneration of Chinese language teachers varies according to several criteria.
If you decide to join a private organization such as Acadomia for example, the question does not arise. All teachers are remunerated in the same way.
Via these organizations, a foreign language course is billed on average between 30 and 35 USD.
Conversely, if you opt for a platform that connects teachers and students, the tutor is the one to set his or her own rates.
For this, it will be necessary to study the rates of the competition according to:
- Your location: a Chinese lesson is billed 25 USD per hour on average in New York as opposed to 20 USD in Chicago (Chinese lessons New York City).
- Your diplomas: a higher education diploma is proof of your knowledge and mastery of Mandarin. Your rates will be higher than that of a teacher who is still a student, for example.
- Your experience: you have 15 years of experience in education. After helping many students prepare for their exams (the HSK for example), Chinese linguistics holds no secrets for you. This kind of mastery costs more.
- Your profile: As a native Chinese person, your mother tongue is Chinese. Your cultural knowledge makes a difference. In addition, you master the pronunciation and accentuation of Chinese expressions.
In the United States, the term "tutor" is generally associated with one who gives professional instruction (sometimes within a school setting but often independently) in a given topic or field.
Each tutor is different. Each teacher helps his or her students in his or her own way and according to his or her needs.
Do not forget to put forward all your references (diplomas, experiences, linguistic sojourns, pedagogy, etc.) They could allow you to stand out in a sea of private tutors and may allow you to attract more students in order to give even a higher number of courses in Mandarin.
The platform that connects tutors and students