Learning German requires plenty of practice, so if you are studying for your GCSEs you might want to use some of the resources that are available online to try out your reading and listening skills, or to boost your vocabulary.
1. The BBC Bitesize website has a selection of useful resources that can help you with your GCSE studies and revision. It has sections for all of the skills that you will need for your exams, so you can focus on listening, speaking, reading or writing. You can also pick up some useful exam skills and grammar tips. Each section has resources for revision as well as tests and activities so you can practice what you have learned and a mock exam to try while you are preparing for the real ones.
2. The BBC also has some other language learning resources that can help you with your GCSE studies. You can take a test to assess your level, read some useful resources to learn more about the language, or use the online tutorials to improve your understanding. The site also has a list of links to German news sites where you can find more material to read.
3. Deutsche Welle is an interesting site if you want to improve your language skills or find out more about Germany. You can read articles, access some good resources for learners including free online courses, or watch videos, including the slow news, which is paced for learners and comes with a transcript so that you can read along or check any words that you missed.
4.GCSE.com has some useful notes that you can use to review topics or revise for your exams. You can find pages summarising what you need to understand about tenses and adjectives, as well as advice on how to work on particular skills such as speaking and listening for the exams. The tips here are a good starting point when you are planning your revision.
5. S-Cool has some good German resources for GCSE students that cover many of the topics you will need to know for the exams. You can read up on the topics that you have studied in class, and then test yourself with the question sets to see how much you have learned.
6. German Vocab Revision has a collection of vocabulary boosting resources that you can use to practice your language skills. The Complete GCSE Vocab List is particularly useful. It can be a little bit daunting to see all of the words that you will encounter in the course at once, but this list will be useful to have it to refer to while you are studying. You will also find some useful activities and revision tips on the site that can help you to prepare for the exams.
7. Languages Online has a German section that provides lots of interactive games and quizzes that you can use to revise topics that you have covered in class. Some of the sections are intended for beginners rather than GCSE students, but there are some very useful tools that will help to prepare you for the exams.
8. Gut! is an interesting place to test your language skills. The site has various games and activities that you can use to practice your language skills, so it can be a useful tool during revision if you want to see how much you have learned.
9. Memrise has some useful German resources that can help you to practice your vocabulary. The site is organized into various courses that encourage you to memorise words and phrases, a few at a time, and then tests you to see how well you are doing. It can be a good way to work a little bit of revision into your day.
10. Watching the news in German can be a good way of improving your listening skills, and there are some great websites where you can do this. You can watch the news, along with other programmes, on Das Erste. You might not understand every word that is said, but immersing yourself in the language can still be a good way of preparing for your exams. As well as improving your listening skills with the German language programmes, you might also be able to find some English programmes with German subtitles, which you can use to work on your reading skills.
See our other articles below:
- Best way to learn German online
- Find German tutors online
- Learning German via internet
- Learn German online podcasts
- Translators for German lessons
- Learning German apps