Now that you’ve read our tips for becoming a tutor and offering face-to-face lessons, you are fully equipped to give private lessons to students. Your schedule is full, you teach students across a variety of levels and for different exams.
But what happens when you have to relocate? You decide to move across town or even relocate to another province. Now your lessons may cost you more time and money than before, or you may even have to lose your students if you are too far away to travel.
But wait, being far away from your students doesn’t mean that you can no longer guarantee their academic success? Why not consider becoming an online tutor and giving lessons online? It’s a great way for those just starting out in the tutoring world and there are plenty of jobs for students or retired teachers looking for extra cash.
Whatever subject you teach, be it Maths, Physics, ESL, yoga or music you can give tutoring lessons online!
Don’t know where to start if you want to switch from face-to-face tutoring to offering your services online?
This article will give you all the information you need! So In addition to giving lessons at home, you can start providing online tutoring lessons to get more students!
Your tools for online tutoring
Whether you teach Math or Contemporary Dance, you can teach it online as a private tutor!
Before you start, you need to know which tools you’ll need:
- A computer: you’ll need a laptop or desktop PC with a strong enough connection to be able to maintain a connection with your students, and which will enable you to use software such as Microsoft Office and other programs you may need.
- A good internet connection: You’ll need to make sure that your internet connection is strong enough is that you are your student are seen and heard clearly
- Skype: Skype is an online messaging and video chat service which can be downloaded for free.
- Webcam and microphone: A webcam and microphone are essential for communicating with your students, so you may want to consider investing in good quality equipment.
If you are new to private tutoring, check out our article “Where to hold tutoring lessons” to give you some ideas of where and how you should hold lessons.
There are many platforms and tutoring companies which will give you the tools to find students, find online tutoring jobs in Canada, or anywhere in the world. You aren’t limited to academic tutoring: you can also offer lessons in career advising, arts and sports, and mentoring. Online tutoring can allow you to build a presence online and open your services up to students of all different backgrounds and open up a world of opportunities for you to share your knowledge.
Superprof is the perfect platform to kickstart your tutoring career.
On Superprof, you can choose to offer face-to-face or online lessons via webcam. Whatever your level of tutoring experience, you are welcome to set up a tutoring profile on Superprof. In order to give lessons, you should of course be confident about your knowledge and experience in the subject.
On Superprof, you can choose the subject, academic level and age range you would like to teach and set up your profile highlighting your skills, relevant qualifications, educational background and experience. Your profile will be seen by students looking for tutors, and students will be able to contact you requesting for lessons. Then all that’s left to do is wait! Your profile will be seen in our search results by students looking for tutors, and students will be able to contact you requesting for lessons.
Once you’ve been contacted by a students, you can go on to schedule a lesson. It’s then up to you to arrange for the payment of the lesson. It’s up to you to decide with your students how you would best like to go about payments. Superprof is not involved in the transactions between students and tutors, and they don’t charge commission so you’ll get to keep 100% of your earnings.
The review system on Superprof allows you to get feedback from your students, as well as to build a good reputation online. After you finish at least one lesson with your students on Superprof, your students will be able to leave you a review and you will also be able to leave a review for your students.
Check out our tips for creating the perfect teaching ad.
What rates should I offer for online tutoring?
Considering becoming a tutor? Sign up to Superprof and choose your rates now!
On Superprof, you are free to set your own rates. In general, we’ve seen that rates for online tutoring lessons are roughly the same as those for face-to-face lessons at home, so your potential salary could be the same.
What are the benefits of online teaching jobs?
- Save time: give lessons from the comfort of your own home! You’ll no longer be stuck in traffic jams or take public transport to give lessons.
- Save money: Save money on travel costs! Without the need to travel, you won’t have to pay for gas, parking or public transport.
- Teach students around the world: You can give your online private tutorials anywhere in the world. It doesn’t matter if you’re in Toronto and your students are in New York, as long as you have your computer and an internet connection you’re good to go.
- Enjoy the flexibility: you can work around your own schedule- give lessons any time of day and as often as you like.
Now that you’ve seen all the benefits of becoming a tutor, the next step is to learn how to write the perfect tutoring ad. What’s most important is getting your name out there to find students to tutor, so it’s important to know how to market your services.
Remember that when it comes to creating a tutoring ad to keep things simple. It’s best not to overwhelm or bore people with too much information or too many details. Try to be as concise as possible and stick to the information which will be most relevant to your students.
A good exercise to try to put yourself in the shoes of a student and ask yourself whether your ad answers their most relevant questions:
- What service are they offering?
- What is the subject and level?
- How can I get in contact with this person?
Make sure to keep your introduction concise and interesting to captivate your readers!
Is online tutoring effective?
It’s a common misconception that tutoring online is less effective than face-to-face lessons.
Many private tutors offer their first lesson online for free. This will give you a chance to learn if this method is suitable for you and your student and to get a feel for the student’s learning style. It's important to tailor your lessons to each of your student's learning needs.
So what’s the difference between offering lessons online and in person? Evidently, this means that you are not right beside the student. However, you can still see them, talk to them and follow the same learning procedures that you would when you offer lessons in person.
Whether you give lessons at home or in person, the effectiveness of your lessons will depend on your abilities as a tutor and your student’s motivation to learn.
Online Tutoring Jobs Canada
Tutoring online is one of the easiest and most convenient ways to connect with students. In a period where social distancing has become the new norm around the world, then it's one of the best options for allowing people to connect and continue learning despite the circumstances. As more and more students are seeking online tutoring in everything from Academic subjects, foreign languages, as well as dance, sewing and even basketball, there is a greater demand for online tutors in a variety of subjects. Online tutoring is a great way to earn extra income while working from home.
- Online teaching is now considered an indispensable tool for private tutors. The internet is an important tool for advertising tutoring services, joining a tutoring company and giving lessons online
- You can make the same amount of money giving lessons online as you can giving lessons face-to-face. The rate will depend on the subject, level and your personal experience. So try setting your price and trying for yourself!
- If both the student and teacher are motivated, giving online lessons can be just as effective as face-to-face lessons
- You should consider investing in good quality audio and video equipment to ensure that you can offer high quality lessons to your students
Sounds like the job for you? Join us on Superprof and connect with thousands of students on our platform looking for tutors in test prep, academic support, career guidance and homework help!
Not sure you’ve got what it takes to be a good tutor? Find out What Qualities Make a Good Private Tutor.
Interested? Find out What Qualities Make a Good Private Tutor.
The platform that connects tutors and students