Using a systems-thinking approach, this course will provide high school students with an overview of some of the world's most pressing environmental issues, using specific case studies to explore the various stressors [both, natural and anthropogenic]. The course will also explore some of the emerging tools and strategies that are being devised in an effort to mitigate and adapt to these problems.
While specific course content may change year-to-year, general topics explored in this class include (but are not limited to): climate change, deforestation, population growth and global demographics, food security, energy stewardship, waste management and pollution, environmental regulatory policies, and more.
I am an experienced sustainability professional with over three years' experience working in areas of government, non-profit and higher education. My primary responsibilities are to manage sustainability and social responsibility initiatives that align with core organizational objectives. I hold a B.A. (Hons.) in Geography from McGill University and I'm an M.S. Sustainability Management candidate at Columbia University.
General areas of interest, professional experience and research include:
- Sustainability Management and Strategy
- Corporate Social Responsibility
- Green Buildings & Sustainable Development
- Climate Change Mitigation and Adaptation
- Sustainable Investments & Social Enterprise
24 hour cancellation policy - if no notice is provided within 24hrs of the scheduled appointment, no refund will be provided. Otherwise, 100% refund for cancellations with at least 24hrs notice.
The video included below is an experiential learning course I helped devise and administer while serving as the University of Winnipeg's Sustainability Officer
McGill University • Montreal, QC
▪ Bachelor of Arts (Hons.) - Geography, Environmental Science
◦ Graduated with ‘First Class Honours’
◦ Specialized in climate change mitigation and adaptation
◦ Awarded $3,000 merit-based funding for field studies
RELEVANT SKILLS & CORE COMPETENCIES
□Familiar with federal /provincial /municipal climate policies □Experience developing EH&S goals and metrics □English (fluent), French (intermediate) language proficiency □Tactful stakeholder engagement and technical reporting □Proficient modelling various GHG inventories and forecasts □Working knowledge of LEED v4 certification process □Familiar with GRI, CDP and ISO 14001 reporting frameworks
□Exceptional data collection, organization and analysis
Freelance Consulting • Winnipeg, MB (March 2018 – Present)
- Environmental Sustainability Consultant
• Provide professional management support and consulting services in areas of corporate sustainability, environmental and social governance, and resource management.
• Develop, maintain, and enhance corporate sustainability performance, and help deliver key technical reports for various local / provincial energy, utility and telecommunication service providers in Manitoba.
The City of Winnipeg • Winnipeg, MB (Oct. 2016 – May, 2017)
- Sustainability Coordinator
• Work collaboratively with City departments and various levels of government to achieve the municipality’s sustainability targets and commitments as directed by the Mayor and Council.
• Assemble a municipal GHG inventory totaling over 550,000 tonnes CO2e which ensures conformity with emerging federal regulatory policies and CDP reporting standards.
• Conduct an energy benchmarking analysis for all +900 municipally owned and operated buildings to improve energy efficiency and lower GHG emissions.
• Develop and implement a new city-wide Green Fleet Action Plan for more than 1,500 municipally-owned vehicles to achieve fuel and emission reductions of over 15%.
The University of Winnipeg • Winnipeg, MB (June, 2015 – Sept. 2016)
- Sustainability Officer
• Track, analyze and report on key sustainability metrics on a monthly or as-needed basis; provide recommendations and solutions on how to mitigate variations in expected performance.
• Maintain the Energy Star Portfolio ManagerTM database; analyze energy, water and waste performance across the University’s 29-building real estate portfolio totaling over 1,650,000 ft2.
• Develop a strategy for fossil fuel divestment for the University’s $57.5 million endowment fund.
• Manage the Sustainability Office’s budget, oversee bi-weekly staff payroll, draft applications for private funding and public grant proposals.
Sustain, ENACTUS Canada • Montreal, QC (Sept. 2013 – Dec. 2014)
- Client Community Manager
• Coordinate sustainability evaluations, environmental compliance initiatives and strategic implementation plans; identify and improve upon innovative green practices, strategies & products for Montreal businesses.
• Maintained communications and relations between independent environmental auditors and participant business clients.
Office of Sustainability, McGill University. • Montreal, QC (May, 2012 – April, 2013)
- Green Building Coordinator
• Tracked, monitored and improved upon energy, water and waste management throughout McGill’s downtown campus properties, and reduced annual consumption by 7%, 11% and 14%, respectively.
• Identified cost-effective opportunities to improve waste diversion, reduce energy intensity and water consumption, and improve overall efficiency of the buildings’ infrastructure and operations.
CIVIC LEADERSHIP & VOLUNTEERING
Manitoba Eco-Network • Winnipeg, MB (Nov. 2015 – Aug. 2017) The Manitoba Eco-Network is the largest environmental non-profit organization in the province, responsible for overseeing 60+ member groups, and is the regional affiliate of the Canadian Environmental Network.
- Board of Directors
• Act as the legal authority for the Manitoba Eco-Network; lead the development of its strategic plan and support the organization in achieving its yearly performance objectives.
• Oversee annual budget of over $700,000, audit reports, and material business decisions, meeting all fiduciary responsibilities of the Board to the Eco-Network and its 60+ member groups.
• Organize and execute various environmental outreach and awareness campaigns, including any logistics involving large-scale event planning, budgeting, sponsorships and community engagement.
closeby? Here's a selection of tutoring ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest sociology lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, geopolitics lessons for all!
Taking public policy lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at their home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||$28||$20|