Especially for younger children, staying focused on something that is difficult can be very tricky. I strive to teach multiple strategies in various subjects to help your child find his/her best learning style that helps them succeed to the best of their ability.
When possible, I try to keep learning fun and entertaining so the information is retained better and it becomes a positive learning experience.
I understand the challenges of ESL struggles in an English-specific country and can help to make the struggles of ESL reading, writing, listening, and speaking more comfortable for the classroom.
I am a certified teacher for K-6 in both Ontario and Alberta. I am also ECE certified for infant to Kindergarten age as well. I have taught internationally for 9 years and can be an asset if your child's second or third language is English.
If your child is struggling in school or needs a boost (especially in literacy), I'm here to help!
Please provide 24 hours notice if you need to cancel. Otherwise, a 50% would be charged.
I may ask for an additional travel fee depending on how far away you live, but that can be discussed and negotiated.
For an additional fee, I am also happy to meet/pick up your child from school (after you and they are comfortable with me) if you need that service before getting home from work.
SUMMARY OF QUALIFICATIONS
• Teacher Certification received from both Ontario and Alberta, Canada
• Three years’ experience at Canadian International School of Phnom Penh (Alberta curriculum) and two years at Myanmar International School of Yangon (MISY) teaching students from 20+ countries and differentiating instruction
• On IT support staff in Cambodia for general support and present IT educational seminars
• On Child Protection Team in Myanmar to represent Primary-level concerns and issues
• Winner of 2012/2013 Jeju Teacher Excellency Award (December, 2013)
• Four years’ experience teaching in private and public schools in Jeju City, South Korea for ages 5 - adult
• Teaching in Primary and Junior division settings for a variety of ages and educational needs
• Four years’ experience as an Early Childhood Educator for children aged seven months to 12 years
• Various volunteer experience promoting reading, writing and language literacy for students
• Ability to create and integrate curriculum, concepts and creativity in educational settings
TRENT UNIVERSITY, Peterborough, ON
Bachelor of Education – Primary/Junior division, June 2011
--Numerous Additional Qualification certifications obtained through Trent. Please bottom for details--
TRENT UNIVERSITY, Peterborough, ON
Bachelor of Arts Honours – Major in Sociology May, 2009
CONESTOGA COLLEGE OF APPLIED ARTS & TECHNOLOGY, Kitchener, ON
Early Childhood Education, May, 2006
DURHAM COLLEGE, Oshawa, ON
Print Journalism, May, 2004
MYANMAR INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL OF YANGON (MISY), Yangon, Myanmar
Year 2 Teacher, Aug 2017 – Nov 2018
• Co-plan and implement all lessons and assessments based on British curriculum
• Teacher of Jolly Phonics, Literacy, Math, Science, Humanities, and Personal Social Health Education (PSHE) and provide support to implement Kelso’s Choices program to the school
• Member of the Child Protection Team representing the Primary division
• Provide PD seminar regarding literacy in the classroom for all primary teachers and TAs
• Member of “Counselling Support Network” to support students with psychological needs and referrals
• Leader of after school workshops: Mensa Brain Quiz, Mindfulness Exercises, and Minute to Win it
• Create a student information hand-over system for all 700 students in the primary and secondary school
• Maintain Class Dojo page for parent and student communication and provide ongoing technical support for other teachers
CANADIAN INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL OF PHNOM PENH (CISP), Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Grade 1 Teacher, Aug 2014-Jun 2017
• Co-planned and implemented all lessons and assessments based on Alberta curriculum and ELECT
• Taught students of over 20 nationalities while differentiating to their needs and IEPs
• Administered classroom literacy programs such as Daily 5, Guided Reading, 6+1 Writing Traits and RAZ Kids
• Teacher of Language Arts, Math, Science, Social Studies, and Health under the Alberta curriculum
• Developed IPP/IEP for students and implement differentiated instruction for non- IPP/IEP students
• Established extra-curricular activities “Circus Class” “Learn to ice skate” to promote physical education and
• Maintained classroom blog, Edmodo and Seesaw class page, including support for other teachers
• Provided IT Technical support for teachers and staff: presenting seminars as well as ongoing support in terms of laptops, ipad and computer apps, interactive whiteboard support, general technical issues, etc.
JUNGANG GIRLS’ MIDDLE SCHOOL, Jeju Island, South Korea
English Teacher, Aug 2012-Jun 2014
• Planned and implemented all lessons including tests and exams
• Teacher of reading, writing, grammar, conversation and presentation skills
• Assisted in training a university student during her teaching practicum
• Developed and supervised extra-curricular school newspaper Jungang Journal program for English
JEFF’S ACADEMY, Jeju Island, South Korea
English Teacher, Jun 2011-Jun 2012
• Planned and implemented all lessons including holiday special events
• Wrote, distributed, and graded tests followed by writing monthly report cards for each student
• Teacher of math, science, social studies, world history, art, reading, writing, grammar, phonics, and special
events at an advanced, international, grade-appropriate level
• Prepared students for international school interviews and assessments
• Founder of “Sustainable School Project” in Phnom Penh, Cambodia
o Receive monetary and supply donations to provide for underprivileged rural schools. Educate rural
Cambodian teachers about supportive education. Donate food, school supplies, clothing, and other
necessities to these schools for useful functionality
• Frontier College Reading Circle Program in Peterborough, Ontario
o Reading to preschool and school-age students to enhance and promote literacy and reading abilities
• Trent Penpal Program in Peterborough, Ontario
o Write letters with elementary students to enhance and promote acceptable reading and writing
ADDITIONAL SUPPORT PROVIDED IN SOUTH KOREA
Hand- selected to support the Jeju Provincial Office of Education with the following:
• Judge a Korean English Teacher’s teaching contest (November, 2013)
• Participate in a Global Language Festival – promoting foreign countries, ribbon-cutting for the opening
ceremony, and judge an elementary storytelling contest (November, 2013)
• Write and present a seminar for professional and supportive teaching for Korean elementary teachers (August,2013)
• Edit a high school tourism textbook with a group of Korean English speakers (January, 2013)
• Judge provincial speech contests for middle and high school students (2012 – 2013, 4 contests)
• Interview potential Korean English Teachers for jobs or prospective promotions (November, 2012 & December,2013)
• Judge a high school debate; preliminary and finalist portions (October, 2012)
CERTIFICATIONS AND TRAINING
• Duty to Report (cert) 2010
• Professional Boundaries, (cert) 2010
• Project Wild Outdoor Education training, (cert) 2010
• Running Records training 2010
• Standard First Aid and CPR (cert) 2011
• Special Education Network in Asia (SENIA) conference attendee 2016
• EAL in the Classroom seminar 2017
• Reading Assessments with Oxford Reading Tree seminar 2017
• Child Protection Training 2018
• Child Protection in International Schools (cert) 2018
• Kagan Cooperative Learning seminars 2018
• Helping Skills Training for Teachers – Reach out Myanmar Psychological and Counseling Services (cert) 2018
ADDITIONAL QUALIFICATIONS (AQ) WITH THE ONTARIO COLLEGE OF TEACHERS
• Primary and Junior Divisions 2011
• AQ Special Education, Part 1 2012
• AQ Reading, Part 1 2013
• ABQ Intermediate Division, Health and Physical Education 2013
• AQ Kindergarten, Part 1 2015
• AQ Special Education, Part 2 2016
• AQ Mathematics, Primary and Junior, Part 1 2016
• AQ Guidance and Career Education, Part 1 2017
• AQ Reading, Part 2 2018
Ashley is a great teacher! She is kind, friendly and clear. Her lessons are fun, engaging and children make lots of progress. Ashley has lots of patience and spends time making sure children understand. She is passionate about education and I would recommend her as a teacher to anyone!
closeby? Here's a selection of tutoring ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest homework help lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, afterschool pick-up & baby-sitting lessons for all!
|at their home||at your home||By webcam|