My teaching methods rely on providing lots of examples, visuals, and interactive learning with the students. Each session is mainly composed of a lesson, however, with higher grades (mainly students in high school), I find that the focus of the each session tends to highlight specific areas/concepts that needs improvement rather than teaching entire lessons. Therefore, depending on what the student needs, I can provide a prepared lesson plan or cater to what the student is currently working on in class and what he or she needs further improvement on. Additionally, in the sessions, I provide interactive work with students in order to keep the students engaged, interested, and learn to be able to complete their work with minimal to no assistance.
My philosophy for tutoring is to focus on providing positive reinforcements when teaching to create a judgement free space for students to feel comfortable asking questions. In doing so, I believe that this can help maximize their full potential of learning the materials and concepts they struggle most with.
In the beginning of first session, it will be composed of assessing and exploring areas the student needs most assistance with. Additionally, we will discuss academic habits and learning styles the students currently have to get a better sense of how to best work with them. The remaining half of the first session will be the first tutoring session with the student where a lesson will be provided . Lastly, I believe that practice is the key to the road of success, therefore, after each session, a couple of pages are usually provided for homework.
I am a graduate student attending the Ontario Institute for Studies in Education of the University of Toronto for a Master of Education in Counselling Psychology. I am aspiring to be a psychotherapist to help individuals achieve wellness and happiness in their life. Ultimately, I hope to help others realize their capability and capacity for change to maximize their quality of life.
I completed my undergraduate degree at the University of Waterloo with a Bachelor of Science in Kinesiology and Psychology. I have been a private tutor since I was in grade 9 in 2009 and since then, I have tutored up to 30 students presently. In my previous work experiences, I have had the opportunity to work with individuals from K to grade 12 and students who are diagnosed with ADHD as well. I am currently an instructor therapist who provide applied behavioural analysis and behavioural interventions to children with Autism Spectrum Disorder and also provide tutoring for these children apart from solely providing treatment.
Online Group Tutoring: $25
In-Person Private Tutoring: $35/hr
In-Home Private Tutoring: $45/hr
- Approachable with strong communication skills from interacting with individuals of all ages
- Possess great interpersonal skills that aid in connecting with students
- Excellent leadership skills achieved from previous work experiences
- Good organizational and time management skills
- Ability to work calmly and effectively with individuals in distress or in crisis
- Committed and dedicated to accomplishing tasks and goals
Candidate for Master of Education in Counselling Psychology
Ontario Institution for Studies in Education, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Starting in Sept. 2019
Bachelor of Science and Bachelor of Arts in Joint Honours Kinesiology Coop and Psychology, University of
Waterloo, Waterloo, ON, September 2012 – Present
Vocational Assessor, Stage of Mind, North York, ON (Sept. 2018 – Present)
- Execute clinical interviews, and psychometric test related to vocational abilities
- Conduct analysis of vocational capacity and score all tests performed while reporting to
- Administer vocational testing for individuals of various ages with disabilities
Private In-Home Tutor, Tutor Bright, Markham, ON (Feb. 2014 – Present)
- Tutor various students ranging from kindergarten to grade 12 in math and English
- Tutor several students diagnosed with ADHD
- Ability to think creatively on the spot when students misunderstand concepts
Administrator and Intake Worker, Better Life Counselling Center, North York, ON (April 2018 – Present)
- Conduct intakes with clients and direct clients to appropriate help needed
- Prepare and part-take in clinical meetings and workshops with psychotherapists and psychologists
- Supervise, lead, and support a team of volunteers who assist with management of the clinic
Tutor, Tutor Doctor, Markham, ON (Feb. 2018 – Present)
- Tutor various children and adolescence in math and English subjects
- Prepare teaching materials to teach children ahead of what is learned in school
Instructor Therapist, Believe In Me, Toronto, ON (Feb. 2018 – Present)
- Provide ABA programs including discrete trial training, intensive behavioural intervention (IBI),
incidental and/or natural environment teaching
- Provide skills training to assist with functional communication, social/interpersonal and daily living
skills within the home and local community
- Manage client’s challenging behaviours while providing a safe and supportive environment
- Model therapy techniques and behaviour programs for parents, families, and/or caregivers
Peer Counsellor, University of Waterloo – MATES, Waterloo, ON (Sept. 2017 – Dec. 2017)
- Counsel and support students with stress, anxiety, academic issues, social and relationship difficulties
- Provide assistance and support for students with difficulty adaptive to Canadian Culture
- Counsel students referred by counselling services from University of Waterloo in orienting to
Volunteer, ASPACE, Waterloo, ON (Oct. 2016 – Apr. 2017)
- Running weekly events for teens with Asperger or high functioning autism
- Interacting with teens to help them feel comfortable interacting with others with a sense of belonging
Reading Volunteer, Westmount Public School, Waterloo, ON (Sept. 2016 – July 2017)
- One-on-one time reading with children who are struggling to learn to read
- Teaching vocabulary to elementary school children in ESL
Tutor and Teacher, Markham, ON (May 2013 – Aug. 2009)
- Tutored 3 individuals for math and English
- Piano instructor for one of the three children
- Displayed commitment and dedication when the children were frustrated with learning piano
Renee was our first experience with a tutor for our daughter. She provided a wonderful experience for her with her patience, knowledge and expertise. She was always punctual, well prepared, accommodating and provided great support to facilitate our daughter's success in Grade 9 math. I would highly recommend her and hope to use her again next year for Grade 10!
Renee works closely with my daughter who is completing grade 6 (math). Renee is just a wonderful tutor that takes her time in making sure her students understand the concepts. She is patience and kind and very flexible. We love her and my daughter looks forward to her sessions.
Renee tutored my son last year. My son and I enjoyed Renee's tutoring style. She was able to meet my son's learning needs and hence he was able to grasp and better understand the key concepts in each of the topics they studied together. During the final weeks tutoring my son, Renee focused on his exam review going through all the different topics they had covered earlier to ensure that he knew his stuff and was prepared for the exam. His marks improved and he was more confident in his abilities in math. I highly recommend Renee as a teacher! She took the time to understand my son's learning style and always encouraged him which made him feel good about his accomplishments in math.
closeby? Here's a selection of tutoring ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest algebra lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, trigonometry lessons for all!
Taking geometry lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at their home||at your home||By webcam|