My main teaching method is doing problems. I like to find out where my students get stuck. Once I find out where they get stuck I will go as far back as I need to go into the math foundations and work on the math that is giving my student problems til they get an understanding of what they need to know. If they are having difficulty understanding a fundamental concept, I will work with them and approach it in as many different ways that I can think of to help the student understand the concept. Once they understand the concept or get it a bit I like to use a lot of math problems to drive it home.
I have my electronic technologist diploma from Centennial College. For the last year I have been volunteering at CCVT (Canadian Center for Victims of Torture). I have been tutoring at their homework club for grades 3-8 for about 8 months now, twice a week. Through the same program I have been mentoring a grade 11 student for 2 hours a week, with Math and English. This has lasted 8 months too. When I was in College I helped six students prepare for an electrical test, that required some applied algebra (ohms law). I also helped another student with a pre calculus course. I have also taught beginner bridge and tai chi. So I have had a lot of teaching experience with different subjects and been exposed to different teaching methods. I also have the educational background to teach the math.
Objective: To establish and maintain a small tutoring business where I can utilize my strong academic record and my exceptional communication skills
• 8 months mentoring/tutoring a grade 11 student in Math and English.
• 8 months of volunteer work tutoring grade 3 to 8 students in all subjects.
• 3 months of volunteer work teaching how to prepare for G1 written test.
• Over six years of teaching and tutoring experience
• Experience in creating lesson plans for groups or individual students
• Expertise and exceptional academic record in a broad range of subjects including Mathematics, Science and Electronics
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to work with a diverse range of students, parents and educators
Teaching Skills & Academic Abilities
• Demonstrated ability to create lesson plans tailored to various learning styles
• Exceptional academic record at the college level in subjects including; General Mathematics, Calculus, Physics, Electronics and Computers
• Proficient in high school level English, Chemistry and Geography
• Extensive experience teaching/tutoring a range of subjects and skills including Algebra, Basic Electronic Technology and Beginners Tai Chi
Communication & Interpersonal Skills
• Excellent verbal and written English skills
• Ability to communicate complex theoretical ideas using plain language and to break down complicated theories using a step by step approach
• Friendly and approachable with the demonstrated ability to build rapport
Experience: Volunteer Tutor/Mentor 2017-Current
CCVT (Canadian Center for Victims of Torture)
Bridge Teaching Assistant 2015 – 2016
Etobicoke Olympium & Northern Secondary School
5th Term Apprentice Electrician 2006 - 2012
Various Employers including Black & McDonald, Ainsworth Inc.
Tai Chi Instructor 2002 – 2007
Daoist Tai Chi Club
Electronic Technologist 2001 – 2006
Electronic Technology Tutor & Lab Assistant 1998
Education: Electrical Apprenticeship Program 2006 - 2010
Electronic Technologist Diploma 2000
References available upon request
closeby? Here's a selection of tutoring ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest algebra lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, trigonometry lessons for all!
Taking arithmetic lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at their home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||$20||$20|
|5 hours||Not available||$80||$100|
|10 hours||Not available||$160||$200|