I am a patient person who tries, where possible, to guide my tutees through a topic without doing everything for them. From my experience this active process allows a student to come to their own conclusions, better reinforcing the information in their mind than just a passive, watching exercise.
I am a recent graduate from Durham University with a 1st Class Master’s Degree in Engineering. Since starting my degree I have always been keen and willing to help my friends and family with any academic problems they might have. I found it to be an incredibly fulfilling experience to see someone understand a topic as a result of my guidance and I would love the opportunity to keep helping students now I have finished my own education.
Outside of academia, I have experience instructing teenagers of all ages in outdoor pursuits and bush craft skills. This experience has allowed me to easily adapt my tone and teaching style to best fit you, the student, and whatever your needs might be.
A graduate with a 1st Class MEng in General Engineering, specialising in Aeronautical Engineering, with all-round interests and abilities. Thoroughly enjoys helping others achieve their best potential.
July 2018 – Present Department of Physics, University of Cambridge (Lab Technician)
Worked as a problem solver in support of PhD and Postdoc researchers in the Nanophotonics and Optoelectronics groups. Included creating CAD drawings then machining parts on mill, lathe etc.
Designed and built experimental rigs involving robotics and laser manipulation, using Autodesk Inventor and Python.
July – September 2017 BAE Systems: Maritime Submarines (Summer Internship)
Developed key guidelines for system modelling engineers to work by. This enabled teams to work more effectively across geographical boundaries and with greater security.
Carried out key deliverables for the Ministry of Defence in 2017.
June – September 2016 MBDA Systems, Stevenage (Summer Internship)
- Worked in the Mechanical Design team for a developing missile system. Worked closely with Engineering Managers to deliver high standards of work in a timely manner.
- Demonstrated the ability to adapt to new procedures, software and systems (including PTC Creo) throughout the placement, learning the required skills quickly and effectively.
July – September 2015 42 Technology Ltd, St Ives (Summer Internship)
- Invited to return to work for an 11 week summer internship, working on a multi-disciplinary project in the industrial sector. This included leading activities in modelling and testing Bluetooth interference, in addition to key aspects of the mechanical assembly.
September 2013 – June 2014 42 Technology Ltd, St Ives (Year in Industry)
- Worked on many projects across a range of sectors, including medical, consumer goods and aerospace.
- In control of own testing, being asked to design own experiments and gather reliable data.
- Gained invaluable experience in communicating effectively and professionally, in addition to managing expectations.
July 2012 Cambridge Consultants Ltd, Cambridge (Summer Internship)
- Worked on a lab-based project investigating the creation of foams.
July 2011 ARM Holdings, Cambridge (Summer Internship)
- Worked under a senior electronic engineer to develop power trays. Enlightening first experience into Engineering.
September 2014 – June 2018 Hatfield College, Durham University
MEng General Engineering (Aeronautical Specialisation) - 1st Class (Hons)
- 4th Year
Aeronautics, Applied Mechanics, Beginners’ German, Control and Signal Processing, Electrical Engineering, Electromagnetism and Manufacture, Electronics, Engineering Design, Engineering Mathematics, Entrepreneurship, Materials, Thermodynamics, Turbomachinery and Fluid Mechanics.
- Final-year research project: “Blended Wing Body Aircraft Design: A Boundary Layer Ingestion Intake Comparison” – Used Solidworks CFD to optimise and compare three types of intake for a distributed propulsion, boundary layer ingesting, turbofan engine.
- JCR Events Officer 2016/17 – Responsible for creating, planning and organising social events at Hatfield College. Planned events with budgets of £15,000 and 600 attendees, as well as many smaller activities.
- Senior Freshers’ Representative 2015 – Organised and planned Freshers’ Week for Hatfield College and managed a budget of over £10,000. In charge of 330 Freshers for 12 days and led a team of 52 Freshers’ Representatives. Involved close liaison with University staff, contractors and suppliers.
- Michael Crossley Shield Award – for making an outstanding contribution to Hatfield College life
- Baxter Award – for averaging a 1st in exams
- Gold Hatfield Award – for academic and social contribution to Hatfield College
- Officer Cadet, Senior Division, Northumbrian Universities’ Officer Training Corps
- Hatfield College rugby, hockey and lacrosse teams, as well as skiing. Sports Colours
September 2006 – August 2013 The Perse School, Cambridge
GCSEs: Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, French, Geography: (A*); History, English, English Literature, Latin: (A)
FSMQ: Additional Maths (A)
A-Level: Maths, Further Maths: (A*); Design and Technology: Systems and Control (A)
Pre-U: Physics (D2) (equivalent to A-Level A*)
The Perse 6th Form General Scholarship
Technology Prefect, School Technology Prize
Captain of the 2nd XV Rugby team, School Rugby Colours
Perse Exploration Society (PES) – Volunteer instructor on camping, bush craft and survival skills. Mentored a group of 16 year olds on a 2 week canoe expedition in the Swedish Lakes. Co-organised an expedition to Vietnam, including social work and cultural exchanges
Grade 7 ABRSM (Associated Board of the Royal School of Music) Clarinet, School Music Colours
ACHIEVEMENTS AND GENERAL SKILLS
Highly proficient with Solidworks and good knowledge of Creo Parametric and Autodesk Inventor
Intermediate knowledge of MATLAB and Python languages
The Institute of Engineering and Technology Diamond Jubilee Scholarship 2014/18
Gold CREST Award for work undertaken at Cambridge Consultants Ltd
Arkwright Scholarship 2011/13 – funded by Cambridge Consultants Ltd
Chartered Management Institute Level 3 Diploma in First Line Management
Intermediate French, beginner German
Clean driving license
I studied with George throughout the 4 years of our integrated masters, and in that time he was always enthusiastic and dedicated to his studies. On multiple occasions he helped myself and others to understand difficult concepts and always did so in a very clear and concise manner. He always made sure that you were 100% comfortable with the explanation, before expanding on it, and ensured everyone was now confident. I can fully recommend George as a tutor, given his excellent ability to explain in a manner which is accessible to anyone.
closeby? Here's a selection of tutoring ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest algebra lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, physics lessons for all!
Taking thermodynamics lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at their home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||$31||$26|