- Hourly rate $20
- Response Time 7h
- Number of students 14
Unfortunately, this tutor is unavailable
English and Creative Writing tutor gives online lessons to high school, Cegep, and university students.
- By webcam
Sara is one of our best tutors. High-quality profile and excellent qualifications, organised and responsive to lesson requests, appreciated by their students!
About the lesson
I offer fun memory tricks to help students succeed, especially with regards to essay formatting. A typical class would include a short writing activity, followed by proofreading the piece together, in order for the student to reach conclusions about their work independently. This ensures that the student truly understands the subject material. I want the students to come away from class with a love for learning and the writing process, as opposed to stressing about the grade obtained from their work.
- Academic English
- English Literature
- Elementary School
- Junior High / Middle School
- High School
Masters/ Graduate School
Early childhood education
I am currently a performance creation and research in York University's Honours BA in Theatre. Here, I won the Kondor Fine Arts Award as well as the President's Award for Creative Writing, in the Best Stageplay category. I have published two essays in York's student academic journals I have a Cegep Degree in Liberal Arts, and have worked as an English Tutor at John Abbott College's Writing Centre and as a private tutor for high school students. . Additionally, I have published short stories, poems, and articles in the John Abbott literary journal, and have an Honors Certificate in English from the college.
Perfect! Sara is a great teacher. She is patient and very compassionate. She sculpts her lessons around her student to create unique study environment. Her lessons are understandable, yet challenges the student to learn new things. She has motivated Asmaa to start reading more, and to not give up if she reaches difficulties.
- See the response Sara : Asmaa is keen to improve her reading skills. As the lesson went on, she gained confidence, which was great to see. While she hesitates when reading aloud and struggles sometimes with pronunciation and fluidity, her level of comprehension meets expectations. We will keep working on gaining confidence in reading skills, but the fact that she understands and distills information clearly is definitely positive! I look forward to continuing our lessons together.
Perfect! Sara is a great essay writing tutor. With her extended experience, she finds out my son’s weak points right away and start working on how to improve them effectively. She is very friends and easy to communicate. My son really enjoyed her lesson.
- See the response Sara : Naomi's son Senan is a great student! He is courteous and engaged during lessons. He picks up new material quickly. He has excellent reading comprehension skills and is able to distill information from excerpts in his own words and writing very well. Now, we will work on generating ideas, free-writing, and paragraph prompts to help encourage him to write fuller, more detailed paragraphs. While Senan expresses interest during lesson time, we will continue to foster a love of reading and writing together so that he can continue these skills outside of the classroom.
Perfect! Sara is very patient and professional tutor. Good to study with. Highly recommended!!
- See the response Sara : Alex is very attentive during our video lessons. He is engaged and asks for clarification when needed. We will continue to work on ways to find connection and flow within his writing, but I am already seeing improvement based on the feedback I have given him. Great work, Alex! I look forward to reading more of your writing!
Perfect! Well organized and easy to understand
- See the response Sara : Fely is very eager to learn. She is passionate about her career path, and is willing to put in hard work in order to achieve her goals. She asks great clarifying questions, and makes sure that she understands before moving on to the next point. Fely can keep working on understanding essay structures and how to formulate her own thesis statements to ensure that they argue something. Overall, I am very happy with our time spent together and wish her all the best in her future studies!
Perfect! Thank you
- See the response Sara : Hyorin is very dedicated to improving her English language abilities. We worked on Conversational English as well as some grammar exercises for adjectives. Hyorin is an eager learner, and we had great conversations together. I look forward to more lessons with this young learner (and big Harry Potter fan!).
View more reviews
Sara cares deeply about the topics being discussed and when tutoring will often go above and beyond to help others understand. I went into one of her sessions not feeling very confident about an upcoming test but, with her help I felt prepared for it after our session. Overall, Sara is very kind and will go at a pace to allow all her students to understand the information thoroughly. I strongly recomend.
Sara is such a great tutor and goes the extra mile to make sure you understand the content. She is patient and well educated. So grateful for her help!!!
Sara gave excellent notes and help with an upcoming theatre exam. She is friendly and kind and knows her stuff! An awesome help!
Sara is very helpful and can explain course material clearly and affectivly. She also makes sure you’re satisfied and you leave with a better understanding of what you need to know and prepare for.
She is very easy to talk with and provides the best information possible. She is always on time and super reliable.
Sara is an amazing writer. I have read many of her creative stories and they were all beautiful and well written. She is also very kind and respectful.
View more recommendations
- 5 h: $95
- 10 h: $180
- $ 20/h
Seeing as I have a certificate in Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL), my rates have now increased accordingly.
Find out more about Sara
1. When and why did you develop an interest in your chosen field?
I have always loved English classes, but it was really in my final yeah of high school where I become passionate about sharing my love of English. In that year, I had a very inspiring teacher who helped me see my own potential as a writer both creatively and academically.
2. What makes you passionate about your subject?
Seeing as English is the international language of most communication, especially in business and on the internet. Having the tools necessary to concisely, eloquently, and clearly opens the door to so many possibilities, especially in terms of education, careers, travel, and relationship building. With regards to creative writing, I have always been passionate about storytelling and how words can bring people together.
3. What do you like about tutoring? What makes you a "Superprof"?
I love seeing a student gain confidence in their work, especially when they are able to self-correct and grow as a writer.
4. Do you have any role models; a teacher that inspired you?
My Grade 11 English teacher continues to be an incredible source of inspiration for me. His passion for teaching English is unparalleled and he genuinely cared about each of his students, no matter their grades or personal interests.
5. What are your keys to success?
Perseverance, organization, giving yourself enough time to proofread, and finding a subject you're passionate about!