I use students' coursework to build the skills, mindsets and attributes required to thrive inside and outside the classroom as well as in personal, social and professional contexts. I focus on critical thinking, communication and time management skills as well as executive functions and metacognition. I know that authentic relationships drive the best learning outcomes, and enjoy building learning partnerships based on mutual trust and respect.
I have 15 years of experience providing academic support to high school, undergraduate and graduate students in selective programs around the world. Prior to founding my educational consulting firm (Komo Consulting), I worked with the Student Achievement Division of Ontario's Ministry of Education.
Accepted to top universities and graduate schools around the world and educated in rigorous programs internationally, my academic background is characterized by exceptional success in varied learning environments. I now dedicate my experience and expertise to supporting academic achievement and well-being through sessions that engage each student's interests, goals and strengths.
- Passionate educator with proven success designing and delivering academic achievement strategies and personalized learning experiences for diverse learners in varied educational environments.
- Dedicated mentor with unparalleled enthusiasm for learning and nuanced insight into building the skills and mindsets students require to thrive.
- Responsive learning partner with meticulous organizational skills and rapport-building abilities.
- English (Native tongue); French (Fluent); Spanish (Intermediate).
- Excellent cultural intelligence acquired through living, working and traveling internationally (40+ countries).
- Background check (2017).
Master of Global Affairs, Munk School of Global Affairs, University of Toronto 2010–2012
Awarded the Master of Global Affairs Scholarship for outstanding academic achievement (2010–2012).
Bachelor of Arts (Honours), Queen’s University 2005 - 2009
Major in Political Science, Minor in Spanish; Certificate in International Studies.
One of three recipients of the Robert T. Jones, Jr. Scholarship selected to study at the University of St. Andrews (2007–2008)
Schlumberger Academic Scholarship (2005–2009)
Dean’s International Award (2007–2008).
Founder and Lead Consultant, Komo Consulting 2013–Present
- Design and deliver personalized learning strategies and programs that build the core skills needed to improve academic achievement; manage a team of ten educators and multiple partnerships with various stakeholders.
- Created an innovative, skills-based retainership model of academic support; developed the learning and teaching frameworks of this model into skill-building programs customizable to diverse learners.
- Work with students to determine possible career paths and pursue university programs accordingly.
Private Residential Tutor, Tutors International February – August 2017
- 6-month intensive, residential academic and social support position to help a struggling university student get back on track. Guided him to internalize best learning practices and study strategies in order to maintain high levels of academic achievement, without sacrificing personal well-being.
Policy Analyst, Student Achievement Division, Ontario Ministry of Education 2012–2013
- Collected, managed and analyzed data to evaluate the effectiveness of educational initiatives by assessing curricular design, implementation and learning outcomes.
Director of Compliance Studies, G8 Research Group, University of Toronto 2011–2012
- Managed 21 Lead and Compliance Analysts to coordinate production of the 2011–2012 G8 Research Group Compliance Report.
- Attended G8, G20 and NATO summits in leadership capacity and liaised with members of the international press.
PUBLICATIONS & CERTIFICATES
- Total SDI: Strength Deployment Inventory. Identifying personal strengths and weaknesses in coaching, team-building and conflict resolution (2017).
- The Ultimate Guide to University: Better Grades with Less Stress (available online, 2016).
- Diction In Depth: Master Your Words, Maximize Your Potential. Online course for business communications that received five star reviews with over 1,000 students enrolled (2015).
- Project Management for Smaller Projects, Ontario Public Service (2013).
- Survey Research and Design, Spring Seminar Series on Social Research Methods by the Institute for Social Research, York University (2013).
- Working Together: The Ontario Human Rights Code and the AODA and Integrated Accessibility Standards Regulation under the AODA, Ontario Public Service (2013).
|at their home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||$90||$90|
|5 hours||Not available||$405||$450|
|10 hours||Not available||$810||$900|