My teaching style accommodates diverse age groups and students with different learning styles.
I always strive for creative and clear communication between myself and my students.
There is immeasurable value in being able to understand and remember technical concepts and I always emphasize this when planning my lessons.
I completed a Bachelor of Science major in Geology from the University of Calgary;
I am currently completing a Master of Science in Earth & Environmental Science at McMaster University;
I have over 9 years of flexible customer service experience with >2 years as an educational instructor and organizers.
I always strive for creative ways to teach and make lessons that are memorable for every age group.
Reisa San Pedro
Hamilton, Ontario, L8P 4J1
T: +1(concealed information)
E: (concealed information)
I aim to continue developing excellent time-management, communication, and organizational skills while gaining relevant work experience. With over 5 years of an academic career in earth science and with over 2 years of teaching experience, I have become a confident educator continue to strive to develop a strong career in teaching.
Master of Science Earth and Environmental Science Sept. 2017 – in progress
McMaster University, Hamilton, ON
thesis (in progress): Examining release mechanisms of arsenic in groundwaters in rural Bangladesh using lab analysis of biomarkers native in aquifer sediments as well as potential metabolic byproducts of microbial activity present in groundwater samples.
Bachelor of Science (Honors) Geology Sept. 2012 – June 2017
University of Calgary, Calgary, AB
• Interpretive Guides’ Association (IGA) – Apprentice Interpreter course; Group Management course (certification for professional guides in the Canadian Rockies)
• Standard First Aid (CPR-level C) and Wilderness First Aid, (2017 – 2020)
• Alberta Driver’s Licence, class 5 GDL, (2012 - current) – applicable in Ontario
• Creative teacher of diverse subjects (physical and natural sciences, math, English) and able to adapt different styles to effectively reach out to diverse age groups.
• Professional level of verbal and written communication from over 8 years of customer service experience.
• Great stamina for extended outdoor-oriented educational activities (e.g. mountain hikes, outdoor summer camps)
• Very well-developed customer service and communication skills with over 9 years of experience.
• Effective time management, organization, and multi-tasking especially in group settings.
Teaching Assistant – Sept. 2017 – present
McMaster University (Hamilton, ON)
• Deliver and facilitate lab and tutorial sessions including group discussions between students.
• Effectively answer student questions about technical earth science knowledge or global current events while making difficult contexts easier to understand.
• Encourage students to address issues such as environmental climate change and understand how they can affect geo-political and economic development.
Geoscience summer student, hiking guide (Summer) – May 2016 – Aug. 2017
The Burgess Shale Geoscience Foundation (Field, BC)
o Guided large groups during long outdoor hikes up to The Burgess Shale and Mt. Stephen Trilobite beds – UNESCO World Heritage sites located in Yoho National Park (Canadian Rockies).
o Practiced excellent presentation skills while delivering knowledge about earth and natural sciences as well as Canadian Rockies to the general public.
o Advanced organizational skills as an administrative assistant answering visitor inquiries and scheduling hikes.
Camp instructor/facilitator (Summer) – May 2014 – Aug. 2014
Minds in Motion, University of Calgary (Calgary, AB)
o Delivered experiential knowledge of earth and environmental science to children and youth (Kindergarten - Grade 9) in classroom, lab, and outdoor settings.
o Fostered creative learning through multiple mediums (creative arts/crafts, software programming, etc.)
o Effective communication and collaboration with other camp instructors, and facilitators during program design and delivery.
VP Operations & Events – Sept. 2014 – Apr. 2017
Aquaponics Club, University of Calgary (Calgary, AB)
o Build and maintain system to simultaneously grow produce and raise fish.
o Educated university community in food sustainability during seminar events on campus.
o Conducted workshops to teach students how to create a portable aquaponics system and small-scale compost system.
Building concierge (Part Time) – Dec. 2014 – July 2017
My VIP Concierge (Calgary, AB)
o Maintains general public security of five different multi-floor buildings.
o Facilitates hospitality services for all tenants (dry cleaning, parcel storage, bike share).
o Organizes and accommodates building logistics in collaborative settings with contractors and building managers.
References: Available upon request
closeby? Here's a selection of tutoring ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest algebra lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, trigonometry lessons for all!
Taking chemistry lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at their home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||$16||$16||Not available|
|5 hours||$60||$60||Not available|
|10 hours||$120||$120||Not available|