I base my classes around generating as much student output as possible and offering timely correction and guidance. I love to integrate TPR and props into my classes when appropriate. I love to have conversations with student to develop their confidence with speaking and vocabulary. I believe that my combination of education in TESOL, as well as my two years of direct experience teaching young people makes me well equipped to teach kids primarily between the ages of 7 and 14.
I am a graduate of Acadia University's TESOL program, which I completed in 2017. Since August of 2018, I have worked as an English teacher for VIPKID, where I teach English online. I have experience teaching a wide variety of subjects, including academic subject matter, writing, phonics, and storytelling. I also have a Bachelor of Arts degree from UNB Saint John, as well as a Master of Arts degree from McMaster University.
My first lesson is not free, but superprof will not let me change it.
SUMMARY OF SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
• Certificate in TESOL from Acadia University, which included learning theories of language acquisition, linguistics, and ESL teaching, as well as completing an in class practicum, which included ten hours of both observation and teaching.
• Two years of experience teaching English to young people in China as a VIPKID teacher. I have taught classes across a wide variety of subjects, including science, math, social studies and the arts, with a focus on vocabulary, phonics, reading, and writing.
• Graduated with Honours from UNB Saint John with a Bachelor of Arts degree. Graduated from McMaster University with a Master of Arts degree in Philosophy.
• Experience working as a teaching assistant as a graduate student at McMaster University, where I was responsible for running seminars for 15 to 20 students twice a week.
• Provided training and instruction to adults in the use of computer software, including accessing e-mail, navigating the internet, and downloading e-books.
• Experience creating supplementary materials, including instructional documents, grammatical explanations, and example English sentences.
English Teacher. VIPKID, Online. Aug 2018 - Present
• Responsible for teaching English classes to young people in China.
• Use prep time to create teaching materials and props.
• Submit feedback reports on each student for both parents and fellow teachers.
• Curriculum touches on a wide variety of subjects, such as history, social studies, and science.
• Have taught a wide variety of classes, including free talk, writing, and storytelling classes.
Library Assistant (Contract). Kennebecasis Public Library, Quispamsis, NB. Jan 2017 - July 2017
• Created instructional documents for the public.
• Provided training in Windows, iOS, and Android software.
• Assisted the public in accessing library services, such as e-books.
• Assisted staff with using Excel spreadsheets, as well as answering other computer related questions.
• Used office equipment to create brochures and other kinds of documents.
Teacher (Practicum). Saint John College, Saint John, NB. Oct 2016
• Taught English to international students.
• Collaborated with teachers to implement lesson plans.
• Used both written and verbal communication skills to enhance student learning.
• Wrote reports assessing each lesson.
Receptionist (Practicum). Newcomer Connections, YMCA, Saint John, NB. May 2016 - June 2016
• Used office equipment to copy and print off documents for staff.
• Used Microsoft Outlook to manage e-mail and meeting schedule for staff members.
• Screened phone calls for staff members, became familiar with using a multi-line phone system.
• Greeted the public and aided immigrants in getting assistance from settlement counsellors.
Customer Accounts Representative. Sykes, Saint John, NB. Jan 2014 - June 2014
• Resolved billing disputes with Bell Mobility customers.
• Analyzed customer billing information to make decisions.
• Remained up to date on Bell Mobility plans and billing policies.
• Responded to customer inquiries and requests in a timely manner.
• Closely followed assigned schedule and effectively managed time (i.e. talk time, break time, wrap time) to ensure strong service delivery.
Customer Service Representative (Seasonal). Sears, Saint John, NB. Nov 2013 - Jan 2014
• Retrieved inventory for customers in a timely fashion.
• Remained up to date on store policies and sales to inform shoppers.
• Processed cash, debit, and credit transactions for customers.
• Provided friendly customer service in person and over the phone.
Teaching Assistant (Contract). McMaster University, Hamilton, ON. Sep 2010 - Apr 2012
• Ran weekly seminars for undergraduate students, which involved leading discussions, asking questions, and providing explanations of complex subject matter.
• Advised students one-on-one with academic matters.
• Graded assignments and exams, provided students with feedback.
Cooking for Cancer. Canadian Cancer Society, Saint John, NB. 2015
Certificate, Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages, Acadia University Jan 2015 - May 2017
Certificate, Office Administration (Honours), New Brunswick Community College Sep 2015 - June 2016
Master of Arts, Philosophy, McMaster University Sep 2010 - June 2013
Bachelor of Arts, Philosophy (Honours), University of New Brunswick Saint John Sep 2006 - May 2010
High School Diploma, Rothesay High School Sep 2002 - June 2006
closeby? Here's a selection of tutoring ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest ESL lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, oral expression - english lessons for all!
Taking writing comprehension - english lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at their home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||$20||Not available||$20|