Online. Totally personalized.
During our first meeting I will get to know your goals and we can structure our curriculum accordingly. I will draft a syllabus and you will give the OK-GO.
I have a plethora of resources that I will share with you once I know what your areas of focus are. I want to help you achieve your long-term goals, from vocabulary expansion and pronunciation to academic writing to oral expression in very specific circumstances (at a cocktail party, standing in line at the post-office, etc...).
I believe in an open and nurturing exchange!
I have been teaching English to adults for over 10 years. I am a published writer, poet, and translator who is engaging, dynamic and professional. I individualize lesson plans for each of my students and want to help you achieve your goals, whether that's in writing, speaking, reading or listening. You will find that I have a natural and infectious passion for the English language! (This will probably come out during classes together, through tidbits such as... Did you know that "drawers" can be storage compartments, but also underpants?)
IELTS instructor | Writing Feedback Specialist @ Studiosity | Teaching Assistant @ Community Living Toronto
Masters & Bachelors degrees from University of Toronto | University of Toronto Fellowship & Grant | Ontario Graduate Scholar, Faculty of Arts and Science, University of Toronto
2018 | M.A. in Comparative Literature, University of Toronto
2015 | B.A. in Critical Theory & French Literature, University of Toronto
2012 - 2013 | Littérature Générale & Comparée, Université Sorbonne-Nouvelle, Paris, France
Feb. 2019 – present | IELTS Instructor, English For Canada
• Aid students who want to immigrate to Canada by helping them get the score they need on their IELTS!
• Engage students in a warm and friendly manner, while responding to their unique needs.
Sept. 2018 – present | Writing Feedback Specialist, Studiosity
• Review undergraduate and post-graduate essays, case studies, and reports on structure, language choice, spelling, grammar, and referencing.
• Highlight and comment on problematic areas, and provide encouragement around areas that have been completed particularly well.
• Complete a feedback summary which enables a thorough overview of the academic text, and allows me to communicate with individual students and cater to their specific areas of concern.
2014 – 2016 | Bilingual mentor & tutor (French & English), Houselink Community Homes, Toronto, Ontario
• Created and implemented individualized lesson plans for students, aged 5 -23.
• Worked with and motivated students with diverse learning needs, and became part of their trusted support network.
Jan – April 2015 | Bilingual tutor, Prepatorium
• Conducted one-on-one and group tutoring sessions for elementary-aged children in various subjects.
• Led weekly discussions with fellow tutors and tracked students’ progress.
2007 – 2010 | Teaching Assistant, Community Living Toronto, York, Ontario
• Led class of adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities in the Literacy First program.
• Worked closely with other teachers to design a curriculum geared towards improving students’ reading, writing, and numeracy skills.
2019 – 2020 | Editor, Barricade: A Journal of Anti-fascism & Translation, New York University
2019 | Participant, Writing & Disability Workshop, Pamenar Press, Toronto
2018 | Panelist, Humanities Pedagogy Confronting Colonization Conference, University of Toronto, Toronto
2017 – 2018 | Editor, Transverse Journal, Graduate Journal of Comparative Literature, University of Toronto
2014 – 2015 | Executive Member, Literary Studies Union, University of Toronto
2011 – 2012 | Publicist & Assistant Editor, Idiom, English Undergraduate Literary Journal, University of Toronto
AWARDS & DISTINCTIONS
2017 – 2018 | Ontario Graduate Scholar – Faculty of Arts and Science, University of Toronto
2017 – 2018 | University of Toronto Grant
2017 | University of Toronto Fellowship
2017 | Featured artist, June Miller’s Caravan Collective
2015 | The Myrtle V McCulloch Scholarship in Literature and Critical Theory, awarded to student with highest GPA in the graduating class, University of Toronto
2015 | Parker Canada Scholarship Program
2012, 2014 | The Regents In-Course Scholarship
2012, 2014 | Dean’s List Scholar
2010 | President’s Entrance Scholarship, University of Toronto
2020 | ‘Mistake’, Autodidact, issue 2
2018 | ‘Then A Vesicle, A Ring: 4 portraits on 16mm’, Solecism
2018 | ‘Leaving’, The Trinity College Review
2016 | The Unfinished Flame of the Lower Oceans, poetry chapbook, Swimmers Group
2015 | ‘Spanish Kitchen’, The Hart House Review
2013 | ‘[Untitled]’, The Trinity College Review
2012 | ‘A Lasting Ritual’, The University College Review
2010 | ‘What Is It for a Man to Be Innocent?’, Island Mists, Poetry Institute of Canada
Fluent written and oral comprehension: Albanian, English, French; some Spanish
Perfect! Ami is an excellent tutor! I learned a lot from her and I enjoyed her lessons very much. My writing has greatly improved. Ami is also very knowledgeable and helpful. I am grateful for her help!
Ami is an excellent tutor! She is very helpful and I really enjoyed her lessons. I also learned a lot about writing. I strongly recommend Ami!
closeby? Here's a selection of tutoring ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest oral expression - english lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, writing comprehension - english lessons for all!
Taking listening comprehension - english lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at their home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||Not available||$35|