My classes are primarily focused on helping students with school material they are already struggling with, thus, there is no exact fixed format. I try to gage precisely what every student's thinking style in order to ensure a more intuitive and comprehensive approach to material that otherwise looks convoluted at first glance -- some students are fine with traditional methods, but others understand better when concepts are broken down into more basic building blocks (e.g., to subtract 17 from 36, first subtract 20, and then add 3 back to obtain 19). My goal is to find out what cognitive process is at play and work in sync with it to optimize understanding.
I am a 4th year undergraduate at the University of British Columbia with a specialization in Mathematics/Psychology, and have aided students in secondary and primary school with Math, English, French, and Science for the last 7 years, accommodated teaching styles according to the student’s learning method, and determined the most effective way to illustrate concepts difficult to comprehend to contribute to the achievement of high exam scores. I also worked at the Kumon Learning Center for a year, and volunteered as a math tutor at the Squamish Nation Trades Center for a semester.
4th Year, Double Major in Mathematics and Psychology, UBC
Software Development Intern, Business Process Automation (BPA), ICBC (Sep 2019 - Sep 2020)
● Working in the automation team, projects consisted of building automated processes in Blue
Prism that navigate through many levels of internal ICBC information service systems, building
frontend and backend components of a web application in ASP.NET using CSS, HTML, and
software to business departments, entirely revamping the team’s Sharepoint website, and
participating in the large-scale modification of official corporate forms as part of the 2020 ACE
insurance transition using the EngageOne designer software.
Internship at Vivacom (BTC - Bulgarian Telecommunication Company) (Jun 2019 - Sep 2019)
● As part of the software development department, integration systems, projects consisted of
implementing a business process involving the sending of asset inventory in a virtual help desk
system by creating catalogs and automating rules for handling requests, as well as processing
big data in the ELK stack (Elasticsearch, Logstash, Kibana).
Private Tutoring (Sep 2014 – Current)
● Aided students in secondary and primary school with subjects including English, Mathematics,
French and Science, accommodated teaching styles according to the student’s learning method,
and determined the most effective way to illustrate concepts difficult to comprehend to contribute
to the achievement of high exam scores.
Kumon Education Center Assistant (Sep 2013 – Jun 2014)
● Was in charge of correcting homework assignments of attending students and investigating their
linguistic skills, as well as providing aid when needed and supervising activities to prevent
distraction and inefficient usage of time.
Research Assistant at the Interpersonal Lab, Department of Psychology, UBC (Sep 2018 - Apr 2019)
● Administered necessary procedures for participants in a study of associative learning in social
anxiety; was in charge of ensuring consent to studies, debriefing the participants to guarantee
clarity, and making sure the study went smoothly, in terms of managing the tools used by
participants during a computer task and the timing of their initiation/ completion of the task..
Self-Directed Research Project (AP Capstone program, American College Board) (Sep 2015 - Jun 2016)
● Investigated the influence of leadership traits on the social identity of groups during political
uprisings via research methods such as meta-analysis, causal-comparative research and case
studies, and using the ProfilerPlus software to analyze the verbal coding relating specific types of
rhetoric to personality traits.
Volunteering/ General Organizational Experience
Volunteer at the UBC Zero Waste Squad Initiative (Jan 2019 -- Jun 2019)
● Helped with the elimination of waste and contamination of recycling and regular garbage bins
during the 2019 Block Party and monitored attendees’ choice of waste sorting. Participated in the
Reuse Pilot Project at a student residence to collect students’ items to be thrown away and sort
them so that they can be donated.
Squamish Nation Trade Center Mathematics Tutor (Jan 2019 – Apr 2019)
● Aided adult students in the carpentry program at the Squamish Nation Trade Center with the
mathematical components of the program such as problem worksheets and exercises to relearn
and refresh forgotten concepts.
Canadian Mathematical Society – Student Committee (May 2018 – Jun 2020)
● Organized the social event of the 2018 meeting of the Canadian Mathematical Society; executed
all planning with regards to finding a venue, escorting all attendees to the venue and back to the
original location in a timely manner.
Secretary of Biochemistry, Physiology, and Pharmacology Club of UBC (Sep 2017 – Mar 2019)
● Participated in the organization of academic events by contacting guest graduate schools,
advertising events and club membership, and aiding in club functions such as selling sample
exam packages, helping raise interest in club events, and assisting in decisions, such as which
candidates to accept as club members.
● English, French, Bulgarian
Education/ Academic Achievements
● University of British Columbia (Sep 2016 – Current)
● Recipient of a GoGlobal International Learning Programs Award
● Sentinel Secondary School (Sep 2011 – Jun 2016)
● Recipient of the AP Scholar with Distinction Award
● Recipient of the National AP Canadian Scholar Award
● Recipient of the BC Provincial Scholarship
● Recipient of the Advanced Placement Capstone Diploma for Self-Directed Research on the social
communication deficiencies involved in autism spectrum disorder
● Recipient of the French Immersion Academic Award for fluency in French and high achievement
in french course
closeby? Here's a selection of tutoring ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest algebra lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, trigonometry lessons for all!
Taking arithmetic lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at their home||at your home||By webcam|