I know how difficult it can be to find a reliable teacher who is highly skilled and experienced to guarantee quality lessons. Teachers need to be able to motivate and guide students towards success. As an experienced and passionate Guitar Instructor, I believe in an approach that gives students positive, constructive ways to learn. I design my lessons according to my students’ needs, with an emphasis on confidence-boosting, and above all making it a fun, enjoyable, and a rewarding experience.
I have been providing guitar lessons in Ridgeway, Fort Erie, Niagara, and St.Catharine's since 2002. Acoustic, classical, electric, and bass guitar. All styles: Rock, blues, country, funk, soul, folk, classical, metal etc. Teaching children as young as 7 years of age through to retired people looking for a new hobby. I teach not only how to play the guitar but also include in my lessons:
Learn to play your favorite songs
Music reading (standard notation & tablature)
Extended chord voicing's (jazz)
Scales and arpeggios
Preparation for RCM music exams
Advice on guitar maintenance and repair
Studio recording skills
Jonathan is a freelance guitarist, composer, and teacher. He began playing the guitar at the age of thirteen. He studied music for six years at Canterbury Christ Church University, England, where he studied the electric guitar with James Dean, the classical guitar with Jeff Alexander, had frequent Master classes with one of Britain's leading classical guitarists John Mills, jazz guitarist Gary Potter, jazz/fusion guitarist Malcolm MacFarlane, and session guitarist David P Goodes. In 2002 Jonathan graduated with a Master's Degree in Music. In the UK Jonathan was a freelance guitarist as well as a peripatetic teacher visiting various schools in Kent along side teaching the guitar privately from his home studio. In 2003 Jonathan emigrated to Canada where he continues to compose, perform, and teach as his full-time profession.
Jonathan has written and recorded over 350 songs. His music has been used for television commercials and is used regularly on television shows that air on networks NBC, MTV, Bravo, Discovery Channel, Spike TV, TLC, Show Time, ABC, FOX, CBC, Sky Sports, CBS, History Channel, TruTV, WWE, CMT, A&E, OLN, Smithsonian Channel, Space TV etc.
His composition 'Carillon Bell Tower' was chosen to be performed at the Peace Tower, on Parliament Hill in Ottawa, as part of the House of Commons Summer Live Festival 2014.
Jonathan has 4 albums out now. 'Spiral', (instrumental rock) 'Solar Dance' (finger-style acoustic), 'First Waltz (classical guitar), and 'Through the other side' (instrumental rock).
M.Mus, Master of Music, Canterbury Christ Church University, Canterbury, UK, 2000-2002
• Courses I undertook during my Master’s degree were: Performance studies, aural awareness, musical analysis, Private instrumental tuition, and a thesis of my choice.
• Performance was my principal study.
• I studied improvisation in both modern and traditional jazz guitar.
• I explored the art of improvisation, practical and theoretical, for my chosen thesis. I initially studied jazz improvisation to improve my own improvisations; however, this triggered many questions regarding how one learns to improvise. Therefore, my thesis examined whether improvisation can be taught, or whether it is an art that can only be learnt through experience via a master apprentice model. My main focus was on jazz improvisation, but also incorporated other genres that value improvisation, for example a North Indian Raga, that share the same issues regarding the implications that students face when learning how to create spontaneous composition.
B.A.(Hons), Single Honors in Music, Canterbury Christ Church University, Canterbury, UK, 1997-2000
• Degree courses included: Performance studies, written musicianship (courses in harmony, composition, orchestration, and improvisation), critical studies I II and III (a historically based course), ensemble and practical musicianship (comprising courses in aural awareness, music technology and participation in departmental ensembles), music arts and ideas, kodaly, jazz studies, audio engineering, ethnomusicology, music in education, commercial music, musical analysis, classical guitar ensemble, and electric guitar ensemble.
• I studied and performed both classical and electric guitar (jazz) during my Bachelor of Arts.
• ‘Jazz Guitarist: John Scofield’ was the topic of my thesis. I examined Scofield’s unique style of playing, and how it developed throughout his career. To achieve this, I transcribed eight of Scofield’s compositions from various recordings that spanned across his career for analysis. The thesis also included background information in the form of a biography, his guitar equipment, and a short chapter explaining the method that I used to transcribe Scofield’s compositions.
• Niagara Christian Collegiate, guitar instructor, 2015-present
• Niagara Creative Arts Centre, guitar instructor, 2011 – present
• John Lummen School of Music, guitar instructor, 2005 – 2011
• J&B Pro Music, guitar instructor, 2005 – 2012
• Home Music Studio, guitar instructor, 2003 – present
• King’s School Rochester, UK, guitar instructor, 2002 – 2003
• Aylesford Secondary School, guitar instructor, 1999 – 2003
My original compositions have been used for these TV shows:
• The Voice, NBC,
• The Detour, TBS,
• Of All Places, CBC
• NFL, Fox
• This is Life with Lisa Ling, CNN
• This Morning, CTV
• ICC Cricket 360, IMG
• Full Frontal with Samantha Bee, TBS
• Football Town: Barrow Alaska, NFL
• Sacred Steel Bikes, Discovery Channel
• Counting Cars, History Channel
• Life Or Debt, Spike TV
• Inner Space, Space TV
• Sports Detective, The Smithsonian Channel
• Vice Essentials
• Premiere League Football, Sky Sports
• Project Guatemala, OLN
• American Restoration, History Channel
• WWE Countdown, WWE
• Culture Shock with Corey Graves, WWE
• Pawn Stars, History Channel
• Recipe Rehab, CBS
• Lone Star Lady, A&E
• Impractical Jokers, TruTV
• Sky Sports Cycling, Sky Sports
• Dish Nation, Fox
• All Access Boxing, Showtime
• Fool’s Gold, Discovery Channel
• 2014 E! Countdown to the Grammys
• Heirs to the Dare, Discovery Channel
• My Big Redneck Family, CMT
• Even More Denmark, Web Video
• Here Comes Honey Boo Boo, TLC
• Game of Arms, AMC
• Ultimate Fighting Championship, Spike TV
• UFC Ultimate Insider, FSN, MSG+, Root Sport
• E News Daily
• Tricked Out Trains, Travel Channel
• Extreme Parking, Travel Channel
• Newly Weds – the first year, Bravo
• Last Call with Carsen Daly, NBC
• Pranked, MTV
• Sex, News, and Rock n’ Roll, MTV
• When Vacations Attack, Travel Channel
• Bad Dog, Animal Planet/Discovery Channel.
• Armchair Directors, Rogers TV
• ‘Through The Other Side’ Rock instrumental album.
• ‘Migrating Souls’ is an album of original music in the avant garde genre
• ‘First Waltz’ is an album of solo classical guitar music written by myself.
• ‘Solar Dance’ is a solo finger-style album of original music.
• ‘Spiral’ is a collection of original instrumental music that fuses rock/jazz/pop/blues with the
guitar at the forefront.
• Dr. Andrea McCrady performed my composition ‘Carillon Bell Tower’ at the Peace Tower Carillon Summer – Live Recital, Parliament Hill, Ottawa. 2014
• Wedding Guitarist, solo finger-style/classical guitar, I perform at wedding ceremonies at wineries located in the Niagara on the Lake region. 2014 - present
• Advanced guitar knowledge and technique (scales, arpeggios, chords, jazz chord voicing’s, rhythm playing, slide guitar, sight-reading etc)
• Specialized areas: jazz improvisation, solo acoustic finger-style guitar.
• Over twenty years of teaching experience.
• Recording techniques.
• Being able to compose music for solo finger-style guitar. To compose music for other instruments. To compose for an ensemble. To compose music in a variety of genres.
• In depth knowledge and understanding of music theory and history.
• Clear and precise explanation skills.
• Friendly and approachable personality.
• Reliable and punctual.
• Honest, humble, and patient.
I was fortunate to be taught by some talented guitar teachers whilst studying at university. I studied both classical guitar and electric guitar at University.
I studied the classical guitar under Jeff Alexander (MA in lute studies) and had frequent master classes from one of Britain’s leading classical guitarists John Mills.
James Dean was my mentor for the electric jazz-fusion guitar, and with whom I studied with throughout my BA and Masters. James was my accompanist for public performances and for my Master’s performance exam. I also had electric guitar master classes from jazz guitarist Gary Potter, and from session guitarists David Goodes and Malcolm MacFarlane.
closeby? Here's a selection of tutoring ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest guitar lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, acoustic guitar lessons for all!
Taking electric guitar lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at their home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||$40||$45||Not available|