I approach each student as an individual and I tailor lessons to each student's personal needs. I believe music is best learned when the student is engaged with and enjoying the material. I make sure students can work towards their own goals while providing them with the necessary background and theory to be successful with whatever they wish to pursue. I always endeavor to make my lessons a positive learning experience where students feel free to express themselves and grow musically. My teaching focus is on working with beginner and intermediate players because I believe these are the most important years to form good musical habits and develop confidence in your abilities. The student and I will work together to create practice and study habits that work for them.
A typical lesson will include some music theory appropriate with the student’s level as well as technical instruction, followed by songs selected with input from the student. Theory is most often not the most interesting lesson component for students, which is why I always blend the theory approach with the student’s personal goals. When students are able to see why theory is important and how it contributes to the music they know, they are much more eager to learn. I typically meet with students once per week, and because of this it is extremely valuable in a student’s progress to spend time preparing them for how to practice effectively and efficiently on their own. We will review what makes good practice and what the appropriate next steps are.
I look forward to working with each student and helping them achieve their musical goals.
I have been teaching guitar lessons for five years and tutoring students in other subjects for ten years. I have experience playing acoustic guitar, electric guitar, bass guitar, piano, trumpet and french horn. I am passionate about music and teaching and I love to inspire confidence in my students.
RELEVANT EMPLOYMENT EXPERIENCE
Private Guitar Instructor, Waterloo, ON September 2012 – April 2014; June 2016 – August 2017
• Created personalized modern lesson plans and developed teaching materials for students
• Maintained relationships with students’ parents to review practice habits and update progress.
Community Music School, Waterloo, ON January 2015 – April 2016
• Taught beginner, intermediate, and advanced students the techniques and theory of guitar
• Participated in and led community music workshops
Frontier College, Waterloo, ON September 2014 – December 2015
Organizational Team Lead (September 2015 – December 2015)
• Instructed and supervised volunteers and learners in the reading program at the Waterloo Public Library
• Interviewed and screened volunteers
Tutor (September 2014 - April 2015)
• Tutored students in the Newcomer Homework Program and the Refugee Youth Homework Program
Work Wellness, Etobicoke, ON January 2012 – September 2013; September 2017 – December 2018
• Developed system to account for financial transactions
• Maintained relationships with staff and clients
• Optimized internal file management system
Golder Associates, London, ON May 2014 – August 2014
Archaeological Field Technician
• Carried out stage four archaeological surveys and excavations
• Provided technical services in both field and office settings
• Worked effectively in a large team environment
• Passionate about music and teaching
• 10+ years of guitar experience (with additional experience in bass guitar, piano, trumpet, and French horn)
• Experienced in teaching students of all ages
• Comfortable with conversational and written French
• Detail-oriented with strong mathematics and analytical skills
University of Waterloo September 2012 – May 2018
• BA in Honours Economics
Perfect! Matthew is an excellent coach. I learn fast but I really appreciate his patience to explain basic guitar skills. He follows my pace but also help me set realistic goals to achieve.
|at their home||at your home||By webcam|