I try to make students understand the concepts with real life examples and I encourage students to ask more questions. In teaching and learning process, I adopt interactive process and encourage students to think and solve concepts from multidimensional aspects.
Hello, currently I am a PhD Student and a Teaching Assistant in the Departmet of Economics at Concordia University, Montreal. I had been in teaching as a Full-Time Lecturer in Department of Economics in different Universities in Bangladesh for last more than five years. My students evaluate my teaching as excellent.
Microeconomics and Macroeconomics
Master of Social Science (Thesis): Passing Year- 2012; In Economics, University of Rajshahi, Bangladesh.
Result: CGPA 3.75 out of 4.00(The Result was Published on 28th January, 2014).
Bachelor of Social Science (4-year Honours): Passing Year-2011; In Economics, University of Rajshahi, Bangladesh.
Result: CGPA 3.50 out of 4.00 (The Result was Published on 12th Jun, 2012).
Higher Secondary Certificate (HSC): 2007; In Science group from Kahaloo College,Bogra, Rajshahi Board, Bangladesh.
Result: GPA 5.00 out of 5.00
Secondary School Certificate (SSC): 2005; In Science group from Kahaloo High School,Bogra, Rajshahi Board, Bangladesh.
Result: GPA 4.88 out of 5.00
• PhD student in Economics in Concordia University, Canada. (From September 2019)
• Teaching Assistant in Concordia University for the course ‘Macroeconomics’.
PREVIOUS WORK EXPERIENCE
• Worked as Faculty Member (Full Time) at Southeast University (SEU), Dhaka, Bangladesh under the Department of Economics from June 04, 2014 to August 20, 2019. The main responsibilities were teaching and research.
• Worked as Faculty Member (Full Time)at Bangladesh University of Business and Technology (BUBT), Dhaka under the Department of Economics from June 01, 2014 to June 03, 2014.
• Worked asFaculty Member (Full Time) of Economics at European University of Bangladesh (EUB), Dhaka under the School of Business Studies from May 07, 2014 to May 30, 2014.
• Worked as Research Assistant under Professor M. Rafiqul Islam, Department of Economics, University of Rajshahi, Bangladesh from January 2013 to May 2014.
AWARDS OR SCHOLARSHIPS
• Achieved PhD Scholarship (Graduate Fellowship) worth CAD 56,000 in Economics in Concordia University, Canada.
• Achieved International Tuition Fee Remission Award worth CAD 37,915 in PhD study in Concordia University.
• Achieved the Department of Economics Scholarship worth USD500 in the University of Rajshahi, Bangladesh for outstanding result in 2012.
• Awarded the post of Vice-Chairman of the executive committee of Economic Association in the University of Rajshahi, Bangladesh for one year with USD300 in 2012as a reward of my highest score achieved in BSS (Honours) Part-4 Examination among 10 departments of the School of Social Sciences in the University of Rajshahi.
• Awarded Government Scholarship worth USD250 under the Ministry of Education, Bangladesh as a reward of my excellent result in higher secondary certificate examination-2007.
• Awarded College Scholarship worth USD200 as a reward of standing 1st position among 500 students of the college in higher secondary certificate examination-2007.
• Awarded Secondary School Scholarship worth USD100 as a reward of my excellent result in secondary school certificate examination-2005.
PEER-REVIEWED SCIENTIFIC ARTICLES
1. Islam, M.S. (2017). Irrational Use of Drugs, Health Care Expenditure and Health Care Level in Bangladesh. International Journal of Health Economics and Policy, 2(4), 152-158.
2. Islam, M. S., and Hossain, M. E. (2017). The Long-run and Causal Relationship among Financial Development, Openness and Economic Growth in Bangladesh: An ARDL Bound Testing and Granger Causality Approach. Journal of Economics and Sustainable Development, 8(18), 152-159.
3. Islam. M. S., Rabby, T.G., and Hakim. M. A. (2017). Misuse of Antibiotics and Potential Economic Loss in Bangladesh. Journal of Resources Development and management, 36, 39-47.
4. Mahmud, K. T., Islam, M. S., Parvez, A., Haque, S. (2017). Impact of Fishery Training Programs on the Household Income of the Rural Poor Women in Bangladesh. Human Resource Management Research, 7(3): 97-101.
5. Noor, M. T., Islam, M. S., and Forid, S. (2017). Rohingya Crisis and the Concerns for Bangladesh. International Journal of Scientific & Engineering Research, 8(12), 1192-1196.
6. Khan, M., Islam, M. S., and Haque, S. (2017). Impact of Holy Artisan Attack on Restaurant Business in Bangladesh. Southeast University Journal of Arts and Social Sciences, 02(01), 11-23.
7. Husain, S., and Islam, M. S. (2016). A Test for the Cobb Douglas Production Function in Manufacturing Sector: The Case of Bangladesh. International Journal of Business and Economics Research, 5(5), 149-154.
8. Rabby, T. G., Islam, M. S., and Shihab, M. A. (2016). The Role of MSMEs in Economic Development of Bangladesh. International Conference on Development of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises in Bangladesh: Sharing Asian Experiences. Southeast University, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
9. Husain, S., Yasmin, S., and Islam, M. S. (2015). Assessment of the Socioeconomic Aspects of Street Vendors in Dhaka City: Evidence from Bangladesh. Asian SocialScience, 11(26), 1-10.
10. Islam, M. S. (2014).Impact of Grameen Bank’s Micro Credit Program on the Living Standard of Rural Women: A Study of Bogra District. Development Compilation, 10(2), 95-108.
11. Islam, M. S. (2014).Role of Grammen Bank’s Microcredit in Employment and Empowerment of Rural Borrower-women in Bogra District. Southeast University Journal of Arts and Social Sciences, 1(1), 60-74.
RESEARCH FUNDING, LEADERSHIP AND SUPERVISION
1. A research on Misuse of Antibiotics in Bangladesh: An Application of Audit Study (2016).
• Funded by Social Science Research Council (SSRC), Planning Division, Ministry of Planning, People’s Republic of Bangladesh
• Funding period is from 2015 to 2016
• Amount of funding: USD7000.
• I was one of the three researchers. The project manager was Dr. M. A Hakim, Professor, Department of Economics, Southeast University, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
2. A research on Impact of Multiple Borrowing on Living Standard of Rural Borrowers: A Study in Bogura District of Bangladesh (2018).
• Funded by Institute of Research and Training (IRT), Southeast University, Bangladesh
• Funding period is from 2016 to 2017
• Amount of funding: USD1100
• I was the only researcher.
3. Economic Association, University of Rajshahi (Bangladesh) July 2012 – July 2013
Economic Association, University of Rajshahi, Bangladesh aims to review economic and other development policies and programmes of Bangladesh, conduct fundamental research on various aspects of economics, organize conference / seminars/ roundtables on important issues concerning economic and social development, and make recommendations to the government on key economic issues.
4. Program Coordinator of the Department of Economics at Southeast University(Bangladesh)
July 2017- July 2018
-The responsibility to coordinate the aspects under Bachelor of Social Science (Honours) program in the Department of Economics.
5. Served as a member of the Executive Committee in organizing a national conference on ‘Enhancing quality of Higher Education’ held in Southeast University, Dhaka on 22nd September, 2018.
6. Served as an Organizer in organizing one international conference held in 2016 in Southeast University, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
7. Served as an Organizer and Coordinator in more than 15 programs such as workshops, seminars and conferences throughout all the academic years.
MERITS IN TEACHING AND OTHER PEDAGOGICAL COMPETENCE
• Served as a resource person of a ‘Research Capacity Building Training Program with Focus on Use of SPSS’ organized by Institutional Quality Assurance Center (IQAC),Southeast University, Dhaka held on 28th-30th October 2018 under Higher Education Quality Enhancement Project (HEQEP) of Bangladesh.
• Served as a resource person of a workshop on Bloom’s Taxonomy organized by Institutional Quality Assurance Center (IQAC),Southeast University, Dhaka held on 16thOctober 2018 under Higher Education Quality Enhancement Project (HEQEP) of Bangladesh.
• Served as a trainer of a three month Certificate Course on Statistical Package for the Social Sciences (SPSS) software which was held in Southeast Universityonly for foreign students from April 01, 2018 to June 29, 2018.
• Achieved excellent scores in teaching evaluation evaluated by students through online confidential process.
• Served as member of Curriculum Review Committee under the Department of Economics, Southeast University.
• Served as member of Self Assessment Committee under Institutional Quality Assurance Cell (IQAC) of Southeast University (SEU), Dhaka, Bangladesh for one year.
OTHER ACADEMIC MERITS
• Presented a research paper in an ‘International Conference on Development of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises in Bangladesh: Sharing Asian Experiences’ held in 2016 at Southeast University, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
• Attended a trainingprogram on‘Sustainable Development Goals and Financial Literacy for the Youth’ organized by IFIC Bank, Dhaka, Bangladeshheldon September 29, 2018.
• Attended a trainingon‘Teaching-Learning, Curriculum and Quality Assurance’ organized by Institutional Quality Assurance Cell (IQAC), Southeast University, Dhaka, Bangladeshheldduring July 21-25, 2018.
• Participated in a roundtable discussion on ‘Looking beyond Least Developed Countries Graduation’ organized by The South Asian Network on Economic Modeling (SANEM) in Dhaka in May, 2018.
• Center for Policy Dialogue (CPD) Public Lecture on ‘Knowledge to Share, Planet to Care’ by Mr Pascal Lamy, the two-times former Director General of the WTO (2005-2013) and Special Envoy of the French Government, held on January 06, 2018 at the Khazana Gardenia Banquet Hall, Gulshan-2, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
• Workshop on ‘Managing Change’ organized by Southeast University, Dhaka, Bangladesh held on December 07, 2017.
• Conference on ‘Citizen’s Conference on Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in Bangladesh 2017’ held on December 06, 2017 at Krishibid Institute Bangladesh by Center for Policy Dialogue.
• Workshop on ‘Developing Research Efficiency using Mendeley Reference Management Software’ organized by Institute of Research and Training (IRT) of Southeast University, Dhaka, Bangladesh held on October 26, 2017.
• Seminar titled ‘Annual Lecture Series on Ethics in Teaching and Research’ organized by Southeast University, Dhaka, Bangladesh held on September 21, 2017.
• Seminar on ‘Supply Chain Management: Career Prospects in Local & Global Markets’ organized by Southeast University, Dhaka, Bangladesh held on August 28, 2017.
• Seminar titled ‘Rainwater Harvesting: Urban Perspective’ organized by Rain Forum Bangladesh held on August 22, 2017 at Southeast University, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
• Seminar on ‘Roles, Responsibilities and Ethics of University Teachers’ organized by Institute of Research and Training (IRT) of Southeast University, Dhaka, Bangladesh held on August 21, 2017.
• ‘National Youth Summit’ held on 29th April 2016 at Dhaka University by United Nations Youth Students Association of Bangladesh.
• ‘Divisional Seminar of Bangladesh Economic Association’ held on 24th October 2015 at Rangpur Chamber of Commerce & Industries Auditorium by Bangladesh EconomicAssociation.
• ‘Social Business Youth Summit 2015’ held on 1st June by Social Business Youth Alliance Global at Krishibid Institute Bangladesh.
• ‘The Art and Practice of Leadership’ held on 21st -23rd September 2013 at EMK Center, Dhaka by Bangladesh Youth Leadership Center.
• Trainingon‘ResearchMethodologywithSPSS’heldon10th-12thMarch2012under Higher Education Quality Enhancement Project (HEQEP) of Bangladesh,Sub-Project(CP-24), in the University of Rajshahi, Bangladesh.
• Attachment Program on ‘Rural Development’ held on 24th -25th March 2012 at BARD, Comilla by Bangladesh Academy for Rural Development.
• Workshop on ‘Economic Data Analysis with Eviews’ held on 12th January 2012 under Higher Education Quality Enhancement Project (HEQEP) of Bangladesh,Sub-Project(CP-24), in the University of Rajshahi, Bangladesh.
• Training on ‘Questionnaire Preparation’ held on 10th-19th November 2011 under Higher Education Quality Enhancement Project (HEQEP) of Bangladesh,Sub-Project(CP-24), in the University of Rajshahi, Bangladesh.
• Workshop on ‘Economic Issues’ held on 5th August 2011 under Higher Education Quality Enhancement Project (HEQEP) of Bangladesh,Sub-Project(CP-24), in the University of Rajshahi, Bangladesh.
POSITIONS OF TRUST IN SOCIETY AND OTHER SOCIETAL MERITS
• Member of World Economics Association
• Kahaloo Students Association of Rajshahi University (Bangladesh) June 2016 –Present
The association aims to enhance cooperationamong the students and teachers in the University of Rajshahi who are from Kahaloothana of Bogura district in Bangladesh. The association also organizes different workshops, seminars and cultural events to facilitate members’ future career.
• Organization for Helping the Poor- (Bogura,Bangladesh) January 2011 –December 2015
The organization forms teams to raise funds for helping the poor and spend money through different activities:
-Distribution of worm cloths among the poor in winter,
-Distribution of foods in different emergency situations like-natural calamities.
Executive member of the ‘Anti-Drug Committee’ in Southeast University, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
NAME OF COURSES I HAVE TAUGHT IN DIFFERENT UNIVERSITIES
• Environmental and Natural Resource Economics
• Economics of Development
• Research Methods in Economics and Social Sciences
• Agricultural Economics
• Health Economics
• Urban Economics
• Project Analysis and Evaluation
• Labor Economics
• Industrial Economics
• International Economics
• Money and Banking
• Public Finance
• Proficient in Statistical Package for the Social Sciences (SPSS) software.
• Very good at using Eviews, Stata, Microfit software of research.
• Used SPSS, Eviews, Stata, Microfit software in my more than 10 research papers.
Perfect! Very knowledgable, easy to work with, patient.
He’s great teacher. He explains the concept from the core.
I know him personally, he is a very good and praiseworthy teacher in the field of Economics. He has a successful teaching career over the last years.
Mr. Shahidul Islam had been my tutor since the beginning of my master's course. He has demonstrated profound knowledge and expertise in teaching various economics disciplines: macroeconomics, microeconomics, and game theory.
If anyone is willing to upgrade his or her knowledge in a most comfortable and engaging way, Mr. Shahidul Islam is the right person for that.
|at their home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||$18||Not available||Not available|