When it comes to teaching ESL, I take a communicative approach. Having my students speak and get involved with the materials is an integral part of my lessons. I love to give constant feedback and get my students thinking about the most practical ways to use language. This could be anything form ordering food at a restaurant to booking a flight ticket over the phone.
For more advanced students I often supplement classes with articles, blogs, and news stories. Using these materials we will go through any difficult vocabulary and discuss contemporary issues with English as the main focus.
Language is a tool used to communicate and I believe the more tools we have the better!
I am a licensed teacher and have been teaching for most of my adult life. I have taught a variety of subjects ranging from English, History, and ESL and have a lot of experience teaching abroad. I lived in Korea for over 4 years, and am comfortable helping people of all backgrounds and skill levels.
I have a Bachelor's degree in English Literature, an Education degree, as well as a TESOL certificate which is recognized by TESL Canada.
I would ask that all students give at least 12 hours notice for cancelled lessons. If a cancellation occurs under 12 hours a 50% charge will occur for that lesson.
HIGHLIGHTS OF QUALIFICATIONS
• Exceptional communication skills (both verbal and written)
• Bachelor’s degrees in English and Education
• Thrives in a multicultural working environment
The Royal Canadian Institute of International Studies (RCIIS)
• Coordinating communication channels between teachers and upper-management
• Leading orientation seminars and events for new students
• Drafting correspondence with post-secondary institutions and providing articulation documents
• Assisting students with concerns and handling them in a tactful way
• Organizing educational fairs and conferences with marketing team
• Compiling and managing substitute teacher lists
• Leading monthly staff meetings regarding school policies and session updates
• Developing new curriculum and program materials
• Directing teachers and providing yearly performance reports
• Administering weekly English level tests to new students
Seoul Metropolitan Office of Education
• Assessed student performance on a weekly basis
• Worked cooperatively with Korean homeroom teachers and staff
• Consistently integrated technology into lessons
• Prepared classroom materials and teaching aids
• Led and designed English-focused summer camps
Mount Saint Vincent University Sept. 2009 - April 2011
Secondary Education Halifax, Nova Scotia
Saint Mary’s University Sept 2005 - May 2009
Honors English, History Halifax, Nova Scotia
CERTIFICATIONS & SKILLS
TESL Canada recognized TESOL certificate (OnTesol) Sept. 2018
Nova Scotia Teacher’s License (English / Social Studies) Apr. 2011
Languages: English - Native | French - Conversational | Korean - Basic
• Native Speaking English Teacher of the Year (2013) Seoul Nambu District
• Placed on the Dean's List during Bachelor of Education Degree
• Student representative of the Bachelor of Education Committee at Mount Saint Vincent University
• Presented an academic paper at the Annual Atlantic Undergraduate English Conference in Halifax
• Graduated with French Immersion Certificate (Junior and Senior High)
Perfect! He prepared his own material for me, and his lesson was very interesting.
We met in university and I’ve known him for 10 years. He’s not only knowledgeable, but also very friendly and open minded to a new culture. I heard so many great reviews students and he was awarded multiples times throughout his career, Fromm Seoul, Korea to Toronto. I highly recommend him, you will be glad you picked Kyle, I guarantee it!
I have known Kyle for over ten years - as a co-worker, classmate, and best friend. He is a smart, warmhearted, and creative person who will do whatever it takes to provide the best teaching experience. With several years of teaching English in South Korea and Toronto, you can't do any better than Kyle as a tutor.
I would recommend Kyle as a tutor because he has years of experience teaching ESL. He knows his way around lesson plans and how to personalize and customize his classes and feedback to the individual student. His friendly and funny demeanor will make any class with him lots of fun!
I cannot recommend Kyle enough as a teacher!
closeby? Here's a selection of tutoring ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest ESL lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, oral expression - english lessons for all!
Taking listening comprehension - english lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at their home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||$30||$30||Not available|