- Hourly rate $40
- Response Time 3h
- Number of students 50+
Mathematician passionated by teaching, with huge experience in University/College/Cegep/Secondary levels. ON LINE CLASS that remains recorded for you, so you can review it after the class. EN/SP
- By webcam
One of our best tutors. They have a quality profile, experience in their field, verified qualifications and a great response time. Laura will be happy to arrange your first lesson
About the lesson
My strength is make easy the difficult learning. My methodology is adapt the teaching to your needs, abilities and educational context, working every week one or two hours to review everything you couldn't understand in your school. If your speech is "I'm not good for math" or "I can't understand my professor", contact me! You'll love math and you will become a "math lover" improving your results as you never imagine it before.
I work only online and I have a well structured system. I work with a digital board and I send you the class when we finish it. So you can stay at home and receive all the details exactly like we did.
Ask me for a first free 20 minutes interview to talk about what you need and organize how we will work.
I'll be happy to be your partner, during the journey of learning Math!
- Elementary School
- Junior High / Middle School
- High School
I am mathematician and statistician. I love teaching and I love that people can love math. Since I was a student at secondary school, I taught to my friends and then started like math tutor until today. During last 12 years I was living in Chile and I taught thousands of students, not only as a math tutor, but as a professor at schools and universities too. My passion are math, teaching and data analysis.
Perfect! Laura is organized and knows her stuff. My daughter has had several tutors, but none were as helpful as Laura. Laura not only explains, but ensures that the student practices and verified comprehension. We booked 5 lessons and will book more when my daughter moves up to math 20.
- See the response Laura : Maeve, (Rachel's daughter) is a very nice student who I loved working with. I will be happy to support her in the future when she needs it.
Perfect! Such a good tutor! Passionate about teaching and helping students and will work with you until you understand! Highly recommended!
- See the response Laura : It was a pleasure to work with Bilal. He had very clear the things that he needed to review and we could optimize our work during the classes that we had. I will be happy to support him when he needs in the future.
Perfect! I have really enjoyed working with Laura. She is extremely knowledgeable and is always willing to slow down and answer my questions when needed. I am looking forward to continuing to learn with Laura and see improvement in my grades.
- See the response Laura : Abbey is a very nice student who is focused on understanding. I am sure she will do very well in her calculus course. I will be happy to support her when she needs more lessons.
Perfect! Very nice and good tutor
- See the response Laura : I love to work with Pavle. He is a lovely student focused on learning more in every class. I love to work with him during summer and the times ahead.
Perfect! Grade 12 data management: Laura is enthusiastic, takes the time to explain the topic and is very knowledgeable i would highly recommend
- See the response Laura : Dylan is a lovely student that I like to work with. He is very focused on learning and I love to work with him in the summer and when he needs in the future.
Perfect! Very good, but he needs more classes.
- See the response Laura : Everything was good with Marisa's son, Terry. Only we needed more classes, but we started at the end of the term. I will be happy to support him in the future.
Perfect! Laura is patient and very good at explaining.
- See the response Laura : Everything was great with Sandra's daughter. I will be happy to support her when she needs it again.
Perfect! My daughter liked the way she tutored.
- See the response Laura : Everything is good with Jud's daughter, Emily. She is very concentrated in the class and I'm sure she will achieve a good level of math comprehension and application
Perfect! Laura is consistently amazing.
- See the response Laura : I love to work with Olivia's son, Joshua. He is getting very fast everything and I love how he enjoys to learn! I'm sure he will take the control over his Math course soon!
Perfect! Laura is so kind, gentle, and easy to talk to. She helped me calm down because I was extremely nervous about my exam. She walks you through step by step and advises on approaching questions and tips on how to remember things. Overall a wonderful experience and I would 1000% recommend!
- See the response Laura : Everything great with Oriana. I'm sure she did it great in her exam. I will be happy to support her in the future when she needs it.
Perfect! Laura is very good at understanding the study materials' objectives and guide the student to the objective. She gives lots of examples and explain variants of the questions to help the student better understand the topic.
- See the response Laura : Klaus is a very motivated student that I just started to work with. I'm sure that when he reaches to get more time to work on the courses, he will achieve all his learning goals. I'm happy to be able to support him with his math courses.
Perfect! In 3 lessons our 12-year-old home-schooled son has gone from dreading math to now saying it's his favorite class of the day. Laura is very engaging and her positive energy makes learning math as pleasurable as it can possibly be. Magical teacher!
- See the response Laura : I love to work with Luca, Justine and John's son. He is such a sweet kid, that shows that amazing and genuine joy for learning! I only can enjoy working with him. I will be happy to show him the Math world during all the time he wants :)
Perfect! She was extremely nice, good at explaining, patient with me, as well as very knowledgeable on the subject of statistics.
- See the response Laura : I loved to work with Ashley. She is a very nice student and very focused on understanding the concepts from the course. I'm sure she will do great in the final exam. I will be happy to support her in the future if she needs it again.
Perfect! Laura is an amazing teacher, she managed to help me understand 4 major Chapters in just a few lessons. She tutored me for PSYC315 the university statistics course and she saved my grade! She is very patient and explains the concepts in a way that can be easily understood. Thanks, Laura!
- See the response Laura : It has been amazing to work with Sara. I'm pretty sure she will do great at her exam!
Perfect! Laura is a wonderful tutor that helps me learn through visual means and helps me until she is sure that I understand the concept. Her teaching style is very effective and she is very nice and knowledgeable!
- See the response Laura : It's amazing to work with Rojina! she always shows joy in learning. I'm sure she will achieve all her learning goals because she is also very focused on learning. I will be happy to support her when she needs it.
Perfect! Laura has an excellent understanding of the content and never failed to answer any of my questions. I'd recommend her to any student struggling with math due to a bad textbook or professor!
- See the response Laura : It has been amazing to work with Tudor! He is really very determined on learning and I loved to support him. I'm sure he will make a great midterm with all the work that he has made and the comprehension that he has about the concepts. I will be glad to support him when he needs again.
Perfect! Simply fantastic, loved the way she taught the subject. I think my son ace the exam today!
- See the response Laura : Edgar's son, Xavier, is a very motivated and focused student. I'm sure he will achieve a huge understanding of the subject! I'm glad working with him!
Perfect! From the beginning to the end of my session with Laura, I've haven't ceased to be impressed by the utter clarity I've come to for every exercise we have worked on together. Her patience and positive attitude makes her, in my opinion, a math tutor who I'd definitely recommend.
Thank you Laura!
- See the response Laura : Mc Garven is a very nice student and he is very focused during the class. Also, he asks everything he doesn't understand and for sure he will achieve his goals. I will be happy to support him when he needs classes again.
Perfect! Laura is a very knowledgeable and patient tutor! I recommend her 100%!!
- See the response Laura : Alexandra is a very nice student and I'm glad to work with her. For sure that she will achieve her goals with Statistics. She is going in great steps. I love to support her during this learning trajectory.
Perfect! Awesome tutor! She answers all my questions and explains everything really well!
- See the response Laura : Jasraj is very focused in our classes and asks all the questions he has. That makes it easy to work with him. I will be happy to work with him as much as he needs during the course.
Perfect! Good communication and explanations for the questions I had about quadratic equations.
- See the response Laura : Everything was good with Cole. He was very focused during the class and I will be happy to support him any time that he needs.
Perfect! Laura is very knowledgeable and the sessions is well structured based on our questions/exercises from school. The recording of the session is great as we can review it many times! :)
- See the response Laura : Gabriel is a very nice student, that brings concrete questions for the class, optimizing our work during the tutoring hour. I will be happy to support him when he needs
Perfect! In my honest opinion, LAURA IS THE BEST TUTOR THAT I HAVE HAD. I have taken her for cal 2, linear and linear 2 and she is the reason why I have passed all my courses. I recommend her to all my friends and people in need of an amazing tutor. She is patient, explains EVERYTHING and ANYTHING. If she doesn't understand, she will learn it for you to understand. If you're not taking her immediately, you are making a mistake. YOU NEED LAURA IN YOUR MATHEMATICAL LIFE AND EDUCATION. I wish I could take her for all my courses... THANK YOU LAURA FOR EVERYTHING!!!!
- See the response Laura : Jordan contacted me, by another student's recommendation. The communication with Jordan has been very easy! That is great! Also she has very good skills to be successful in the course. So, I'm pretty sure she will do great in her course next week!
Perfect! Laura is an awesome tutor! They are very patient, friendly, and word things in an easier way to understand. I love their humor and I'm definitely very pleased with my lessons with them!
- See the response Laura : Zen is a very motivated student that I love to work with! I'm very sure that she will have an amazing learning process and progress with the classes and I'm happy to support her in Math.
Perfect! Professional and very experienced. Good teaching skills
- See the response Laura : I liked so much working with Lana. She was very focused during the class and I will love to continue supporting her with math. She has a great potential in Math
Perfect! Very great tutor!
- See the response Laura : I love to work with Rohan. He is very fast thinking and catches the reasoning really easy. I'm sure he will not need me soon :) But I'll be happy to continue supporting him until he flies alone.
Perfect! Excellent teacher she explains very well and has a good system of teaching.
Perfect! She was knowledgeable and made my daughter feel comfortable.
- See the response Laura : Joanne's daughter, Georgia, is a very nice student. She was very perseverant and I'm sure that she will achieve whatever she wants. I will be happy to support her to prepare for the next math course.
Perfect! Laura is an amazing teacher, she explains concepts really clearly and properly. Highly recommend this teacher.
- See the response Laura : I had some classes with Irmina's son, Wiktor. He was very nice student and everything wnet good. I didn't have more availabities at that time, but I will be happy to make him classes in the future. I liked to work with him.
Perfect! Laura has all the traits of an exceptional tutor. She is highly knowledgeable, patient, accommodating and an effective communicator. It is no surprise that her rating is stellar on this site. Thank you, Laura.
- See the response Laura : Ava is a very nice student. She was direct in the questions she needed to solve and it was easy to work with her. I will be more than happy to support her in the future any time she needs again support :)
Perfect! I always had trouble learning mathematics as a kid and with a career change, I needed to start off at the very beginning to do a complete refresh of my knowledge in math. Laura has made learning so much fun, we laugh every single class and she explains things exceptionally well. Math teachers are hit or miss, and Laura hits it out of the ballpark every time! If you need any help, she is the perfect teacher for you.
- See the response Laura : I like so much work with Jade. She is a student with great energy for learning and discipline for it. I'm sure she will achieve her goals.
Perfect! Laura is by far the best tutor I’ve ever had! She makes learning difficult topics simple and really makes sure you understand the topic to the best of your ability. She’s very easy to talk to and very engaged/committed to making sure you understand all the topics you need help with. She provides detailed explanation and visual examples which are very helpful when grasping challenging topics!
- See the response Laura : I love the classes with Amanda! I enjoy so much working with her and I'm pretty sure that she will achieve her goals and more!
Perfect! Laura is a great, charismatic teacher! If I don't understand a concept at the start, she finds ways to explain it in different forms until I am clearer on the said concept. 10/10 would recommend.
- See the response Laura : Jennifer is very nice and I'm very glad to work with her. I'm absolutely sure that she will take control of her course and will get great learning and results!
Perfect! Raissa loves working with Laura. She says her explanations are clear and she feels comfortable asking Laura questions.
- See the response Laura : I love to work with Raïssa. She is a very nice student that in the class is absolutely concentrated and focus on understanding every detail. I'm sure she will get good results in her Math course
Perfect! She always came in with a smile and helped with all the questions I had!
- See the response Laura : Classes with Camille were very well. She was very clear in what she didn't understand and made it possible to go straight into the content during the classes. It was great to work with her.
Perfect! Laura is an excellent tutor, she helped with my machine learning class, and really helped me understand the mathematical concepts seen in class.
She is passionate and very knowledgable about the field which makes even the hardest concept easier to understand.
I definitively recommand her as a teacher.
- See the response Laura : It's very nice to work with Amanie. She is very nice, and it's amazing to make her classes. For sure she will get the basis she needs for her course and will have great results.
Perfect! Laura helped me solve my statistics problems but also went over all the theory behind the math. I was able to understand much better. She made tutoring online so easy! I loved my experience!
- See the response Laura : It was great to work with Julia. She was very direct to the questions she had, being able to optimize the work during the class. I'm sure she will achieve her goals in the course
Perfect! Great experience. Notes are very clear and provided with a recording for review. She is so nice and very patient and has an amazing way of explaining mathematical concepts.
- See the response Laura : Julian is very nice and passionate about math. I'm really happy to work with him!
Perfect! Laura always makes sure I understand what we’re talking about, I’m not afraid to ask her questions as she is so understanding! Laura shows me different ways to do the math I’m working on, and most of the time it’s better than what I’m being taught!
- See the response Laura : I love to take classes with Emma!!! she is really nice and I love that she asks everything and always has a smile on her face. Really amazing to make her classes. She will achieve everything she wnats because she is also a very hard worker.
Perfect! Laura is a fantastic wealth of information. Her ability to explain complicated concepts in easy to understand terms and examples has cleared up a lot of issues I've been having with my course. Highly recommend!
- See the response Laura : Working with Kyle is amazing! he has a Math mind that loves to understand the "why" and for sure he will go over his goals without problems.
Perfect! Laura is very kind, patient, and highly skilled in all areas of math and teaching.
- See the response Laura : Joshua is a very nice student and has fast thinking. I'm sure that after several sessions working he will get achieve the goals that he is looking for.
Perfect! Great energy that'll make you want to learn. She has a way of explaining concepts in simple terms. I enjoyed our first session. Looking forward to the next one.
- See the response Laura : It was great to make classes with Michael. He is really very interested in learning and I will love to work with him as many times as he needs. I'm sure with these intense tutoring sessions he will get a good knowledge of the basics that he needs in his course.
Perfect! Laura has helped me drastically with concepts in grade 11 functions I am doing in class as well as topics from my previous math class I didn't quite get. She is amazing at explaining step by step to help me understand the process behind what we're doing and she makes me look forward to doing math!
- See the response Laura : It's great to work with Melisa. She is a very hard worker, and I enjoy very much the classes with her. I'm sure she will get great results in her courses.
Perfect! Laura has an excellent understanding of math. She is patient and able to explain things in a really clear and efficient way. We will definitely be using her again and i would highly recommend her to anyone looking for help with any level of math.
- See the response Laura : Chloe and Jeremy are a great work team. I never worked with a father and daughter together and I met amazing their passion to learn, ask questions and look for the details together. It was an amazing experience to work with them, and I will be glad to repeat when they eventually need it again.
Perfect! Laura made it a lot easier for me to understand inverse functions and probabilities. She took the time to explain everything step by step and made sure the fundamentals were clear to me. Great experience.
Perfect! Laura is a great tutor and really helped my daughter prepare for her final year exams in math. She has much more confidence going into the exam, thank you Laura!
- See the response Laura : Caitlin was a very nice student. In the beginning, she was shyer, but in the last two classes, it was very clear her incremental confidence by the questions that she made. For sure she will get good results in her final exam!
Perfect! Laura's explanations are clear and concise. Highly recommend her.
- See the response Laura : Eli has been a great student! I'm very sure that we will make great in his exams and will achieve everything he wishes! It has been a great experience to have been his tutor!
Perfect! Perfect! Laura is a great tutor, she takes the time to explain the topic and makes sure you understand before proceeding to the next.
- See the response Laura : Julia is very organized and I love that she asks everything that she doesn't understand and asks for more examples. She will achieve her goals! it's a pleasure to work with her!
Perfect! Laura has made learning calculus a very enjoyable and productive experience for me. She takes her time to explain, is dynamic and also very fun to work with. I have already been seeing huge improvements in my grades, surely because of her wonderful help! :)
- See the response Laura : Maria is a very nice student. She is very disciplined and focused. Definitely, she will have a very good performance with this calculus course.
Perfect! Laura is amazing! My son is in grade 10 IB and truly enjoys Laura's patience and clarity. With the pandemic, home learning, and quadmesters it's been a difficult transition. Laura is extremely accomodating and tries her best to work around my sons' schedule. He's feeling more confident as the days progress. I would 100% recommend Laura.
- See the response Laura : Kylan is a great student. He will get his goals with confidence because he is passionate about learning Math. I love work with Kylan!
Perfect! Amazing organization! She's very patient with me when I don't understand, explains all my stats material in depth and makes sure I know how to apply the formulas. We always go through examples together so that I don't get confused. Highly recommend to anyone struggling with statistics
- See the response Laura : Jada is a very nice and proactive student. I'm sure she will get very good results
Perfect! She was an amazing tutor who taught me many things with precise and helpful information.
- See the response Laura : Working with Daniel is a challenge because he is very fast thinking and the way that we worked, brought me memories of when I worked teaching formal Math courses. I really loved to teach Probabilities and Linear Algebra to Daniel!
Perfect! Laura is a great tutor! She is really passionate about what she teaches and makes the student feel comfortable about concepts they don't understand and explains the methodology clearly so you can see how and why the math works. It's not just by memory that you'll do well but understanding what is behind the scenes is crucial to doing well. The tools she uses are extremely practical and useful for online math tutoring. I would highly recommend her if you're in need of a math tutor!
- See the response Laura : Julie is very motivated and a great student to work with! I'm sure she will develop her potential during our tutoring time!
Perfect! great tutor provides very good explanations
- See the response Laura : Serena was a very dedicated and focused student. It was a pleasure to work with her!
Perfect! Laura was super organized and methodical in her approach to tutoring - something which both me and my son appreciated very much! She was also very helpful in the lesson, taking him through a complicated question in a way he understood. He said it was an excellent lesson, thank you Laura!
- See the response Laura : Manon's son, Adam is an amazing student. He enjoys learning and that is a gift for the professor(in this case, is my pleasure to have the opportunity to work with him!). I'm sure he will be able to pass over his own fears and get amazing results.
Perfect! Laura has a strong base in all math and statistics related subjects. Great tutor 10/10 would recommend :)
- See the response Laura : Mika is an amazing student! motivated, very responsible, and fast thinking. Is great to work with him! for sure he will do great in his course!
Perfect! Laura is a wonderful tutor! She tailors her content to meet your needs and comes prepared to walk through course-specific concepts. She explains complex concepts in a way that is easy to understand and is very patient and kind.
- See the response Laura : I love to work with Amanda! She is always with a smile and giving her best to learn everything. Definitely, she will achieve her goals with this course!
Perfect! She is a really patient and kind tutor that goes through the content step by step with you and makes sure you understand everything before moving on to new content.
- See the response Laura : Anastasija is very motivated for learning. She is already fast at thinking, so when she is absolutely confident in her capacities, she will reach fast her goals for sure!
Perfect! Laura is a great stats tutor! She allows for more clarification from my lectures and makes me really understand the stats that we are working on!
- See the response Laura : Zoey is an amazing student. Very focused during the class. I'm sure he will get good results in his course on Statistic.
Perfect! When I started advanced functions I thought I knew what I was doing because I took functions 11. I got a reality check when my first test grade was in the 50's. I didn't know what to do. I decided to find a math tutor and found Laura. Laura not only encouraged me but made me believe I do well in advanced functions. I went from the 50s to achieving test scores with an average of 80s to 90s I now have a 92 in advanced functions and it would be impossible without her help. Laura is always available when you need her, she goes through all your homework and notes and study guides and explains each step, concept, equation all of it! Laura makes advanced functions look easy and I never thought that was possible. Math is hard but if you need help and want an amazing tutor that will get you to where to want to be Laura is the way to go!
- See the response Laura : Work with Abbigail, it's amazing. Very focused on her achievements. For sure she will get good results in her exam!
Perfect! Amazing tutor, really knows the material and really good at explaining! I don’t regret my choice at all! Highly recommended
- See the response Laura : Estivaliz is an amazing student! Organized, punctual, asking everything that she doesn't understand. For sure she will get great results in her courses!
Perfect! Ms. Laura is a very nice and polite math teacher. She explained a lot of math concepts really well. I recommend her unreservedly.
- See the response Laura : Purnima is a very nice student! She prepares the questions for the class that is great to optimize the class time. For sure she will be successful in her math courses at the university! Go for it, Purnima!
Perfect! Laura was a huge help! She explained things very well and made sure I understood everything before moving on.
- See the response Laura : It's great to work with Iza! She is very nice and always ready for the class!
Perfect! Wonderful at explaining things in-depth and very friendly! Highly recommend.
- See the response Laura : It was a good experience to work with Victoria. She is asking for her doubts with time enough to be prepared for the exams. That is very good and for sure, she will get very good results during her course!
Perfect! It was great working with Laura, she's very punctual and good at explaining. Highly recommended!
- See the response Laura : Every student is a challenge. Rebekah learns by following patterns. Her challenge is to play with different scenarios and select the best choice depending on the context. For sure she will get that ability soon!
Perfect! great at explaining
- See the response Laura : It's a pleasure work with Michael! Very well organized and commited. For sure Linear Algebra will be an easy challenge for him!
Perfect! Highly adaptable teacher. Very knowledgeable. Patient and positive.
- See the response Laura : It's a pleasure to work with students that invest time to learn! this is your case. And remember, there are not good or bad questions, all of them are just steps to get your goals. So ask whatever you need. It's my pleasure to share what I know with you!
Perfect! Best tutor ever, kind and patient. I recommend without doubts.
- See the response Laura : Wellington's daughter was very nice and dedicated. Wellington was also a very caring dad and very committed with his daughter's classes. A pleasure make classes to Luciana
Perfect! The best!!!!!!! Communication, Expertise, JUST IT!!!!!!!
- See the response Laura : Perseverance is the key and you got it! Just continue for your goals! all the best! a pleasure to give you classes!
View more reviews
Laura is an excellent teacher. She has really helped our daughter in high school math: and she has been very compassionate with her, when my daughter loses confidence. Laura helps her to have the confidence to learn. I have recommended Laura to my friends for their children and they too are happy with the results. I am so grateful to have found Laura on Superprof- as she truly is a gifted and dedicated teacher.
Laura is the best! I was able to pass an admissions test with her help! She helped beyond words! She is an excellent communicator! She explains so that you can understand the notions. She is patient and simply the best!
Laura es la profesora de matemáticas de mi hija y la recomiendo cien por ciento por su carisma para enseñar y porque mas allá de la información teórica le ha enseñado a mí hija a confiar en sus capacidades y ese ha sido el mejor aprendizaje para ella. Gracias Laura!!!.. Por lo demás es una superdura en la materia y sabe como adaptarse al ritmo de cada estudiante.
Laura is my daughter's math teacher and I recommend her one hundred percent for her charisma in teaching and because beyond the theoretical information she has taught my daughter to trust her abilities and that has been the best learning experience for her. Thank you Laura! For the rest, she is a superstar in the field and knows how to adapt to the rhythm of each student.
Laura has been my teacher for the last year and it has been amazing, my grades have gotten better and I am starting to like maths. She makes sure that I am understanding and she doesn’t mind to explain to me the same thing a hundred times. I really recommend her, she is really good at her job and she really likes to teach.
Laura was very helpful and clarified the questions I had for a statistics exam. A+
Laura is a very experienced and knowledgable teacher. She is also patient with her students. I have no background in statistics, but she simplifies complex issues in a way that sounds fun!
I absolutely recommend her.
Laura has been a great tutor in statistics for me! She was very accommodating and really took her time in explaining whatever I wasn’t understanding. She is so great, really nice and has been incredibly helpful especially in prepping me for my upcoming midterm!
View more recommendations
- 5 h: $200
- 10 h: $400
- $ 40/h
Payments: can be done only with Interact or Paypal BEFORE the class.
* Please, consider that the discount is because I want to reduce the cost for the student when there are many classes in short periods. If that is not happening, only will be accepted the total fee of 40CAD/h paid class per class. This means:
*5 classes packs, it should be scheduled and completed in a maximum of 6 weeks from the payment date.
* 10 classes packs, should be scheduled and completed in a maximum of 10 weeks from the payment date.
If the classes are not scheduled for that period, they are considered as full fees with the respective adjustment of the value per class.
*The packs have no reimbursement.
*'Multiple hours upfront' payments, must be done before the first class.
** Ask for groups (two or more people) discounts.
*** If you pay in advance and you need to cancel a class, that must cancel 24h before the class. In that case, we will schedule a new class. If you cancel less than 24h before the class, this will be considered as a completed class and it will not be rescheduled or reimbursed.
Find out more about Laura
1) When did you develop an interest in your chosen field and in private tutoring?
I have been a Math tutor since I was 15. My friends and professors asked me help for them, or siblings or children. No matter what I do or try to do, teaching is something that calls to my door once and another, since I have memory. So, here we are!
2) Tell us more about the subject you teach, the topics you like to discuss with students (and possibly those you like a little less).
I teach Math for any level. I prefer to work with Highschool and first-year university levels, but I have had students from secondary school, from postgraduate programs, and adult people with particular goals passing some specific exam. At this moment, I prefer to focus on Highschool and undergraduate levels, but I receive all the requests and evaluate if I can handle and if not, I recommend to other tutors that I know. What I don't do, and I will not do, is to solve exams. I consider a grade doesn't make sense, without a really intend to learn.
3) Did you have any role models; a teacher that inspired you?
My professors at school were all great and powerful STEM women, that knew about math and other subjects and showed that Math was everywhere, from arts to Physics and they showed me the relationship between Math and the other fields. My school teachers were very empathic women, smart, strict but at the same time flexible, and always with a good sense of humor and a smile on their faces. They were my referent to be the professor that I'm today.
4) What do you think are the qualities required to be a good tutor?
Empathy, patience, good sense of humor, curiosity, and constant actualization in the subjects they teach.
5) Provide a valuable anecdote related to your subject or your days at school.
I have a lot of them! but the most recent one was this week! One of my lovely students was preparing and exam for a job position, where she didn't know the content that would be requested, just the general topics: Algebra, Geometry, Rule of 3 and percentages. We had just a few hours, to prepare a mysterious examen with no references at all. In that moment, based in my experience and intuition, I just thought "ok, let's think what a person in that job would need to apply from Math and figure out how to build storytelling among the concepts to be sure that the basics are absolutely clear for my student and she will arrive at the exam secure about it and try her best!". And WORKED IT!!!! My student, after 3.5 hours of classes went to the exam and got 86% and actually they asked for the type of problems that I worked with her.
She wrote to me so happy, but you can't imagine how challenged was for me!! Usually, we know, as tutors, what to expect, at least we know the topics and the level, but there was no clue and I had no enough time before to know my student and know her skills. So basically was a great success for both! these are the things that make me love teaching and don't surrender when things don't go easy.
I love to touch lives empower people to trough the learning about Math, FInally, the biggest gain is not Math knowledge. The biggest gain is to see students going over their own limits and taking control of their own fears. That's the biggest gain that makes all worth it.
6) What were the difficulties or challenges you faced or still facing in your subject?
When I accept students and in some parts in more high-level courses, we arrive at a specific part of the content that I'm not so expert. Then I have to study like them! That is the biggest challenge for me, those types of "surprises" in the teaching journey.
7) Do you have a particular passion? Is it teaching in general or an element of the subject or something completely different?
My passion actually is not to teach! my passion is learning! everything related to learning processes. I love to learn from my students while they learn with me. I see life as a big game ground for learning and I love it! I think that's why children are truly happy. They maintain the happiness that comes to learn every day something new.
8) What makes you a Superprof (besides answering this interview questions :-P)?
Is it not clear until here? :p I'm a Superprof because is part of my essence, passion, and daily life. Maybe that should be my second name! Laura Superprof! how does it sound? ;) Jokes apart, THANKS for the opportunity to share a bit about myself with you and be part of your great platform!