I help the student bring their goals to fruition in cooperation with the student and support from any friends and family that may be involved. I try to help determine what the road blocks to success are and address those concerns first rather than reteaching material. My aim is to provide the student with tools that can be applied to any subject and eventually on their own.
Born, raised and educated in Canada. Phd in Mathematics, MSc in statistics. Certified Pilates instructor. Owned and operated my own Pilates studio business. Experience private tutoring high school mathematics in Ottawa and Toronto. Studies both here in Canada and abroad.
$5 is the minimum travel rate. However, if the travel time is more than 30mins there and back the rate will be increased proportionately.
Any cancellation that is not within 24 hours, only 50% will be refunded.
Master of Science, Mathematics and Statistics, Carleton University, Ottawa, ON Sept 2015 – Dec 2016
- Presented, “Tweet-Mining 2016 U.S Presidential Candidates” at Statistical Society of Ottawa, SSO Student Research Day 2016.
Attended Department of Biostatistics, MSc Biostatistics program Sept 2014- Aug 2015
Dalla Lana School of Public Health, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON
Doctor of Philosophy, Mathematics, Carleton University, Ottawa, ON 1998-2003
Master of Science, Mathematics, McMaster University, Hamilton, ON 1996-1998
Bachelors of Science, Honours, Mathematics, Carleton University, Ottawa, ON 1992-1996
RELEVANT WORK EXPERIENCE
Statistician - Scientific Regulation Nov 2018 – Feb 2019
Tobacco Products Regulatory Office, Healthy Environments and Consumer Safety Branch, Health Canada, Ottawa, ON
- Helped verify that the data submitted by tobacco companies satisfies government regulations. In particular, verifying that data provided on cigarette brands meets the linear relationship outlined in regulations.
- Performed statistical analysis on submissions and prepared yearly reports to summarize my findings in text and graphs.
Statistician June 2017 – Oct 2018
Populations Studies Division, Healthy Environments and Consumer Safety Branch, Health Canada, Ottawa, ON
- Worked on the AHTI, Air Health Trend Index study. Assisted in looking at air pollution and its effect on mortality and morbidity in Canada. This included running code to create risk assessment data. Did extensive summaries with graphical analysis of risk assessment for SO2, NO2 and PM air pollution. Familiar with R and use of R for Bayesian statistics. Two posters were presented at the Science Forum in March 2018.
- Heart and Lung related Hospitalization Associated with Short-term Exposure to Ground Ozone for 29 years from 1984-2012, H.S. Shin, L. Haque, H. Kalayci, M. Smith-Doiron, B. Jovic, Science Forum 2018, March 2018, Ottawa, ON.
- Mortality and Hospitalization Linked to Fine Particulate Matter in Canada Between 2001 and 2012 (Air Health Trend Indicator – CESI), H.S. Shin, H. Kalayci, L. Haque, M. Smith-Doiron, B. Jovic, Science Forum 2018, March 2018, Ottawa, ON.
- Two papers resulted from these projects.
- Air Health Trend Indicator: Association between Short-term Exposure to Ground Ozone and Circulatory Hospitalization in Canada for 17 years, 1995-2012, Hwashin Hyun Shin, Wesley Burr, Dave Stieb, Lani Haque, Harun Kalayci, Branka Jovic, Marc Smith-Doiron, International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 2018, Vol. 15.
- Heart and lung related hospitalization associated with short term exposure to ground ozone for 29 years from 1984 to 2012. H.S. Shin, L. Haque, H. Kalayci, M. Smith-Doiron, B. Jovic, 2018, draft.
- Conducted extensive literature review to determine possible causes of sex differences in areas of cardiovascular disease and pulmonary disease. This research will be a contribution to a publication on sex differences.
- I also work on CHMS, Canadian Health Measures Study. This has included creating tables of descriptive statistics for cycles 3 and 4 combined for cadmium, lead and fluoride. Currently assisting with a project related to hearing in cycle 3. Software used for CHMS is SAS.
Workshop Author Jan – Dec 2018
Centre for Quantitative Analysis and Decision Support, Carleton University, Ottawa, ON
- Create presentation material for workshops in data science. This includes creating presentation material and examples using R.
- Completed workshop on Automatic data collection using R, web scraping using R.
- Automated Data Collection and Web Scraping, Patrick Boily, Lani Haque, Andrew Macfie, CQADS, Carleton University, IDLEWYLD, 2018.
- Completing workshop material for Storytelling with Data. Focus is on visualization of data and best practices for presenting material to a given audience for the purpose of presenting a particular objective or story. This will include a section on visualization for the visually impaired.
- Currently gathering and researching material for Social Network Analysis.
Statistician Jan 2017 – June 2017
Canada Revenue Agency, Intelligence & Data Division, Ottawa, ON
Research Statistician Sept – Dec 2016
Statistics Canada, Ottawa, ON
- Worked on the weather effect on seasonal adjustment for time series. Methods used are regARIMA modeling with the X12-ARIMA method. Tools used were Win-X12 and SAS.
Research Statistician June – Aug 2016
Communications Research Centre, Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada, Ottawa, ON
- Worked on predictive models using machine learning techniques and algorithms to predict occupancy and retransmit rate for Wi-Fi. Used random forest algorithm. Software used was R. Microsoft Azure machine learning studio was also used.
Research Statistician May 2016
Statistics Canada, Ottawa, ON
- Worked for the Tourism Centre and Education Statistics Division. Coding in SAS to look at linking educational records to tax records for post-secondary education in Alberta.
Research Biostatistician Jan – April 2016
Health Environments and Consumer Safety Branch, Health Canada, Ottawa, ON
- Analysis of Maternal Infant Research on Environmental Chemicals, MIREC, data. In particular, looking at hair samples from mothers and mercury content in the blood. Software used is SAS. Full time work onsite each week.
- Worked with and under the supervision of a biostatistician and statistician and part of a larger interdisciplinary group.
- Work included data cleaning, data processing, analysis of data, presentation of results and written report of the results. Project was many descriptive in nature.
Workshop Author Sept 2015 – Aug 2016
Centre for Quantitative Analysis and Decision Support, Carleton University, Ottawa, ON
- Creating presentation material for workshops in data science. Workshops currently working on are survey sampling.
Volunteer Research Statistician May – Aug 2015
Ontario HIV Treatment Network, OHTN, Toronto, ON
Analysis of OHTN Cohort Study, OCS, data. Software used was SAS. 7-8 hours of work onsite per week.
- Worked with and under the supervision of biostatistician and epidemiologist on the effect of drug coverage on viral suppression in HIV patients.
- Work included data processing, analysis of data, presentation and completion of a written report of results.
NSERC Visiting Research Fellow 2005-2008
Department of National Defence, Ottawa, ON
- Participated in interdisciplinary research for the Directorate Material Group Operations Research to solve problems such as loading and balancing aircraft and the deployment of resources.
- Received Defence R & D Defense DRDC-CORA Team Achievement Award, for contribution to the development and application of quantitative and qualitative methods.
- Presented talk on Genetic Annealing for Loading Aircraft, GALAHAD: An Heuristic Aiding Deployment at the annual DRDC-CORA meeting.
Postdoctoral Researcher 2004-2005
University of Ottawa, Ottawa, ON
- Conducted research in the area of genomics, including combinatorial and recursive expressions, resulting in three (3) published papers.
Postdoctoral Research Assistant Jan – Aug 2004
Carleton University, Ottawa, ON
- Conducted research at the Sprott School of Business at Carleton University resulting in a published review article.
- Collected, researched, organized and summarized papers and topics in the field of operations research for published paper.
OTHER WORK EXPERIENCE
Part time Pilates Instructor July 2018 – present Whitehouse Movement Studio, Ottawa, ON
- Instruct small group classes in Pilates, both matwork and reformer/equipment work.
Teaching Assistant Sept – Dec 2015
Carleton University, Ottawa, ON
Data Entry Clerk June – August 2014
The Establishment Licensing, Billing and Invoicing Unit (ELBIU), Health Canada, Ottawa
- Tested latest database system to locate bugs and other problems.
- Migrated data from other sources into the latest database system
Program Officer March – December 2013
The Bureau of Medical Cannabis (BMC)/Marihuana Medical Access Program (MMAP), Health Canada, Ottawa
- Queried and entered information into database to facilitate the application process for either grower licenses or user licenses
Owner/Instructor 2009 - 2013
Pilates Patio, Toronto and Ottawa, ON
- Founded and operated a Pilates studio providing fitness classes to the general public.
- Duties involved marketing, customer service, management, instruction, hiring instructors in order to operate a successful business enterprise.
University of Ottawa, Ottawa, ON and Carleton University, Ottawa, ON
- Taught as a part-time professor and sessional lecturer to undergraduate students at the Department of Mathematics and Statistics, University of Ottawa and School of Mathematics and Statistics, Carleton University respectively.
- Developed, designed and organized material for courses including lecture material, assignments, exams for the instruction of classes of up to 200 students and their evaluation.
- Supervised and mentored 2-4 teaching assistants to ensure consistency of marking and tutoring.
Teaching Assistant 1996 - 2003
Carleton University, Ottawa, ON and McMaster University, Hamilton, ON
- Lead and instructed weekly tutorials to 20-40 undergraduate students within the Department of Mathematics and Statistics to help facilitate to comprehension of lecture material.
- Marked, graded and commented on assignments, problem sets, midterms and exams to help facilitate the successful evaluation of students’ progress
- Held weekly office hours for students providing one on one help with specific needs and problems students had.
Research Assistant Sept-Dec 2000
Gyeongsang National University, Chinju, South Korea
- Initiated multicultural opportunity for a research term abroad with the Department of Mathematics and Statistics.
- Contributed to weekly seminars offered by hosting professor and his graduate students by presenting, communicating and discussing weekly research material.
- Worked with hosting supervisor to collect data, research, study and learn material for now published paper in refereed journal.
LaTex, SAS, R, MS Office, html, Python, Microsoft Azure Machine Learning Studio, WinX12, WordPress, Shopify
KCBS, Kansas City BBQ Society, Certified Judge Aug 2017- Aug 2018
Treasurer of Statistical Society of Ottawa, SSO, Sept 2017 – Feb 2018
Served on Social Committee at CRA April - June 2017
Stott Certified Pilates Instructor 2009 - present
English – fluent
French – beginner
Dalla Lana Scholarship 2014- 2015
Defence R & D Defense DRDC-CORA Team Achievement Award 2006
Natural Science and Engineering Research Council Visiting Fellowship 2005-2008
Dewan Chand and Ratna Devi Marwah Memorial Scholarship 2002
Ontario Graduate Scholarship 1999-2001
Natural Science and Engineering Research Council Scholarship 1997-1999
Senate Medal for Outstanding academic Achievement 1996
1. Automated Data Collection and Web Scraping, Patrick Boily, Lani Haque, Andrew Macfie, CQADS, Carleton University, IDLEWYLD, 2018.
2. Air Health Trend Indicator: Association between Short-term Exposure to Ground Ozone and Circulatory Hospitalization in Canada for 17 years, 1995-2012, Hwashin Hyun Shin, Wesley Burr, Dave Stieb, Lani Haque, Harun Kalayci, Branka Jovic, Marc Smith-Doiron, International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, , International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 2018, Vol. 15.
3. Heart and lung related hospitalization associated with short term exposure to ground ozone for 29 years from 1984 to 2012. H.S. Shin, L. Haque, H. Kalayci, M. Smith-Doiron, B. Jovic.
4. Heart and Lung related Hospitalization Associated with Short-term Exposure to Ground Ozone for 29 years from 1984-2012, H.S. Shin, L. Haque, H. Kalayci, M. Smith-Doiron, B. Jovic, Science Forum 2018, March 2018, Ottawa, ON.
5. Mortality and Hospitalization Linked to Fine Particulate Matter in Canada Between 2001 and 2012 (Air Health Trend Indicator – CESI), H.S. Shin, H. Kalayci, L. Haque, M. Smith-Doiron, B. Jovic, Science Forum 2018, March 2018, Ottawa, ON.
6. A Heuristic for the Deployment Problem, Alan Hill, Lani Haque, Joseph Fourney, 2007, in progress.
7. A Survey of the Machine Interference Problem, L. Haque and M. J. Armstrong, European Journal of Operational Research, 179, 469-482 (2007)
8. Stability of Rearrangement Measures in the Comparison of Genome Sequences, M. Mazowita, L. Haque and D. Sankoff, Journal of Computational Biology 13, 554-66 (2006).
9. The distribution of genomic distance between random genomes, D. Sankoff and L. Haque, Journal of Computational Biology, Jun 2006, Vol. 13, No. 5, 1005-1012.
10. Power Boosts for Cluster Tests, D. Sankoff and L. Haque, Proceedings of the RECOMB 2005 Workshop on Comparative Genomics (A. McLysaght and D. Huson, eds.), Lecture Notes in Bioinformatics, 3678, Springer 121-130.
11. Sufficient Conditions for a Geometric Tail in a QBD Process with Countably Many Levels and Phases, L. Haque, L. Liu and Y. Q. Zhao, Stochastic Models, Issue 21.1 (2005).
12. Liminf Results on the Increments of an (N,d) Gaussian Process, Y-K Choi, Z. Lin and L. Haque, Acta. Math. Hungar. 99 (1-2), 89-104 (2003).
13. Tail Behavior for Stationary Distributions for Two-Dimensional Stochastic Processes, Ph.D. Thesis, L. Haque (2003).
14. Can we characterize Two-Dimensional Systems by the Spectrum of the Infinite Rate Matrix R?, L. Haque and Y.Q.Zhao, Canqueue Workshop, Sept 13-14, 2002.
15. Bianchi IX Einstein Metrics, M.Sc. Thesis, L. Haque (1998).
16. Classical Planes Derived from Projective Planes, B. Sc. Hons. Thesis, L. Haque (1996).
closeby? Here's a selection of tutoring ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest algebra lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, trigonometry lessons for all!
Taking geometry lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at their home||at your home||By webcam|