I have a BSLL in Languages and Linguistics from Georgetown University, an MA in Foreign Language Education and a PhD in Spanish. I was the Spanish Program Director at 3 major American universities, and have taught K-12 and university, including graduate courses. As a native speaker and trained professional, I provide individual and whole group support, helping students become proficient through a variety of learner strategies to help them learn efficiently. As a teacher my goal is to foster and maintain an open, honest, communicative classroom where each student feels appropriately challenged. While I focus on all four skills (speaking, listening, writing, and reading) my aim is to make the student feel comfortable speaking.
I have taught for over 35 years from K-12 through university levels. I took early retirement from university teaching in 2000, but I have continued teaching independently. Through Continuing Education and community venues such as Oasis Senior Center in San Diego, I have offered many Spanish courses, principally Spanish for Business and Spanish for Health Services, as well as Spanish for Travel and Advanced Spanish Conversation. The majority of my beginning students have been able to communicate orally and in writing within 6-8 weeks, and my advanced students increased their vocabulary and comprehension skills.
PhD Spanish from University of Kansas, 1986; MA in Foreign Language Education and Spanish, University of Louisville, 1981; BSLL (Bachelor of Science in Languages and Linguistics), Georgetown University, 1967; Certification with Honors as Translator and Simultaneous Interpreter (Spanish, French, Italian) Georgetown University 1967.
AWARDS AND PROFESSIONAL RECOGNITION
1995-1996, Excellence in Education Award, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI. Awarded for my teaching and curricular innovations made to College of Literature, Science & Art’s mission.
1995, Undergraduate Research Opportunity Program: two projects funded to research content-based education and feedback on writing.
1992, Computer Based Education Laboratory Grant to design Macintosh Computer Software Program for Pre-Writing in the Foreign Language.
1986-1993, Outstanding Foreign Language Teacher Award, Penn State University, State College, PA. Received award each year for 8 years while at PSU.
1989-1993. IBM Interdisciplinary Grant for Curriculum Innovation Using Computers in the Foreign Language Classroom to develop interactive video and computer program for Language 3 Initiative
1986-1998, National Spanish Tester and Trainer for the Oral Proficiency Exam, Educational Testing Service, Princeton, New Jersey.
1984, Nominated for Outstanding Teacher Award, University of Kansas
• Teacher & healer, various modalities, Center for Healing Arts, Bakersfield CA 2015-2016
• Instructor various courses, including Spanish, Oasis Senior Center, San Diego, CA, 2012-2014
• Instructor and Minister, metaphysical and spiritual classes, Shiloh Spiritual Center, San Diego CA, 2010-2014
• First Grade Assistant Teacher, Bay View Park Elementary School, San Diego, CA, 2010-2011
• Spanish Program Director & Professor, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ, 1996-2000
• Spanish Program Director & Professor, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, 1993-1996
• Spanish Program Director & Professor, Summer Study Abroad Program, University of Michigan, Barcelona, Spain, 1995, 1996
• Spanish Program Director & Professor, Summer Intensive Language Institute for Foreign Language Teachers, Penn State University, State College, PA, 1989-1992
• Spanish Language Consultant Educational Testing Service, Princeton, NJ, 1988
• National ACTFL Tester & Trainer Oral Proficiency Exam, American Council on Teaching of Foreign Languages, All across USA, 1986-1998
• Spanish Program Director & Professor Penn State University, State College, PA 1985-1993
• Assistant Director, Summer Study Abroad Program, University of Kansas, Barcelona, Spain, 1983, 1984
• Editorial Assistant, Latin American Theatre Review, international peer reviewed journal in both Spanish & English, 1981-1985
• Freelance translator and writer, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese and French for various US Government agencies. Washington, DC, 1970-1974
• Foreign Language Analyst (Spanish, French, Italian, Portuguese), Library of Congress [for CIA, DOD, NSA, FBI, DIA, DOS, etc], Washington, DC, 1968-1973
She taught me Spanish language lessons on a weekly basis and always came well prepared with a lesson plan, hand outs, and assignments for continued learning. She created a friendly and welcoming learning environment where all studend were able to contribute and participate at their comfort level. I highly recommend Liana for any teach endeavor she may provide.
closeby? Here's a selection of tutoring ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest oral comprehension - spanish lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, vocabulary - spanish lessons for all!
Taking writing comprehension - spanish lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at their home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||$41||$41|
|5 hours||Not available||$184||$205|
|10 hours||Not available||$368||$409|