Stage 1, The foundation concepts and introduction to the 3 step critical thinking guide. Stage 2, Application of steps in critical thinking to non- familiar concepts.
Stage 3, APPLICATION stage, concepts are treated as an application of foundation concepts. Guided Activity Based Learning is key at this stage. Lecture videos will be used to reinforce concepts. Introduction to other math skill guides & development of all skills. Stage 4, Interleaved practice without any skill development guide.
5 years experience teaching and tutoring grades 8-11 Mathematics courses with students moving from an 'E' in math to 'B' or 'A'. I have a 89% success rate. I describe myself as an Engaging Innovator and Educator skilled at Solving Problems and engaging others towards finding solutions towards complex problems. This is evident in being most recently a published author by Pelican Publishers for my Problem Solving Mathematics guided approach textbook; for middle and high school students, having published a combination of 5 research articles and method and presented at two conferences; here in Canada and the USA on Mathematics Education. I am the pioneer of the recently published method called "Jermaine Dunn's Method of Teaching Mathematics to Students for the Development of Mathematical Skills and Conceptual Knowledge. You can access this on Researchgate.net. I have proven that students who fail Mathematics, do so because they do not have the mental road map for thinking critically and lack conceptual understanding of the subject. Thus, I have developed a '3 step Critical Thinking Guide' for the building of the mental road for critical thinking which is integrated in a strategic way in all lessons. If students already have the mental road map for thinking critically, the guide serves the purpose of developing the skill throughout lessons. All of my lessons are conceptual in nature instead of procedural only. Therefore, my students will be able to connect previous concepts to new concepts. Practice sessions in my classes follow the Interleaving model; which build long term memory, instead of Blocked model; which builds short term memory. Once my students have mastered the fundamental concepts, they are directed to treat all other concepts as an application of the basic fundamental concepts. Students in my class are essentially taught mathematical skills which are essential for the student to be able to carry out a task independently.
Mathacademyja- Founder April 2017 to Current
• Use online software to offer students across the Caribbean Mathematics classes at the Secondary; CSEC and Primary School level online.
• Used innovative methods to deliver mathematics content and build students understanding; thereby leading to significant improvements in their performance and long term understanding and application of mathematical skills.
• Trained and lead a team of Teachers who teach Mathematics in a conceptual and connective manner.
• School’s Website and Facebook Page: (concealed information) (concealed information)
Tacky High School (Specialist Teacher) September, 2017 to June 2019
• Mathematics Teacher; Caribbean Secondary Examination Certificate (CSEC) Level
• As Teacher of upper school Mathematics, I have been instrumental in re-structuring the school’s curriculum for Mathematics for grades 9 to 11 in order to best suit the needs of our students in promoting the development of critical thinking and problem solving skills.
• Used differentiated learning as a primary teaching method; thereby improving the rate of student’s progression from one missed grade level in Mathematics to the other.
• Researched and mastered the use of Interleaving and Spacing as two secondary teaching methods in teaching Mathematics for long term retention of learnt concepts.
• Having observed that the students placed under my care to facilitate learning of Mathematics lack critical skills in Mathematics, I have created a personalized textbook/workbook which is used in a facilitated learning setting; students are guided to understand Mathematical concepts. Having discovered the concepts, students then practice application and reasoning based questions to build understanding.
• Coach of the School’s Mathematics Problem Solving Quiz Team
• Having spearheaded the push for less procedural teaching in Math as a junior teacher, all teachers in the Mathematics department have now moved either partially or completely to teaching conceptually.
• Statistically significant improvement in student’s internal performance observed with the use of the guided conceptual approach textbook/workbook as the main learning tool.
• Leader of the School’s Ted Ed Club.
• Assistant Grade 11 Coordinator September, 2018 to present.
University Learning Academy- Toronto ON (Part Time) Jan, 2017 to April, 2017
• Grade 12 Biology Teacher
Caribbean Advance Proficiency Examination (A Levels) & CSEC Chemistry and Biology Teacher Sep/2016-Dec/2016
St Andrew High School for Girls – Part Time
• Required to teach Biology and Chemistry to CAPE Unit 1 and Biology and Chemistry to CSEC
CAPE Biology & Chemistry Teacher (A Levels) Sep, 2012 to Aug, 2015
Port Antonio High School – Port Antonio, Portland Jamaica
• Taught three Biology related subjects offered by CXC, which include: CSEC Biology and Human and Social Biology in addition to CAPE Unit 1 &2 Biology.
• Aid in advancing the School’s ‘A’ Level Science program
• Achieved 80% to 100% pass each examination year.
Accomplishments & Awards
• Invented the World first Chlorophyll Solution powered battery; Patent Pending
• Recipient of the 2013 Governor General Youth Award of Excellence
• Delegate for Portland in the Governor General’s “I Believe” initiative Youth Consultative Conference 2012
• Featured as Champion of Science in the Caribbean ( See Attached Articles)
• Clean Technology Exhibitor at the Launch of the Caribbean Climate Innovation Center (CCIC) 2014 ( See attached Thank you and Invitation)
• 2015 Finalist in the Ministers Innovations Awards in the Category of Energy. (See invitation attached)
Jermaine Dunn's Method of Teaching Mathematics to Students for the Development of Mathematical Skills and Conceptual Knowledge
• (concealed information)
Transformational Improvement in Learner's Mathematical Skills by Integrating a Mixture of Technologies.
• (concealed information)
Published Author of the Mathematics Textbook called “40 Hours to a Grade 1 in Mathematics” for High School level Mathematics.
Bachelor of Science: Chemistry York University - Toronto, ON Sep, 2015 to Aug, 2016 and Jan 2017 to May 2017-
• Pursued Specialized Level 3 and 4 Chemistry Courses
Associate of Science Degree: Natural Sciences (Accredited) September, 2010- Aug, 2012
College of Agriculture Science and Education - Port Antonio, Portland Jamaica
• Specialized in Chemistry, Mathematics and Biology
High School Diploma: Sciences Sep, 2005 to June, 2010
Port Antonio High School - Port Antonio, Portland Jamaica
• Emphasized in Chemistry, Biology and Physics
• Student government representative
closeby? Here's a selection of tutoring ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest algebra lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, trigonometry lessons for all!
Taking arithmetic lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at their home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||$42||$35|