I have a passion for the English language and love being able to help my students get a firmer grasp on their own linguistic skills. I have experience with academic and course-based English classes, but I prefer to teach with a focus on my students' needs and interests. I conduct my sessions professionally and with purpose and organization, and I always come prepared. I conclude with a summary of the session including things to work on going forward.
I am a professional English as a Second Language teacher with a specialization in adult education. I have experience working as an English teacher, professional and freelance editor, and academic writing tutor. I have a Master's degree in Publishing, Bachelor's degree in Arts (English), post-graduate diploma in Teaching English as a Second Language, and two certificates in French as a Second Language.
Preferably we will meet in a public gathering place (library, coffee shop, campus, etc.) but I am flexible.
Highlights of Qualifications:
• Showcases excellent attention to detail in editing roles.
• Fluent in both English and French including reading comprehension, written expression, and oral proficiency, as well as translation and interpretation.
• Proficient in cultural diversity and global citizenship due to extensive intercultural studies and international travel.
• Simon Fraser University (SFU) Master of Publishing graduate, December 2018.
• Thompson Rivers University (TRU) Bachelor of Arts in English, First Class Standing graduate, June 2016.
• TRU Teaching English as a Second Language (TESL) program, First Class Standing graduate, June 2016.
• Studied abroad in Aix-en-Provence, France for the school year 2012/13 studying French. (Diploma received)
• Completed the program Explore studying French for 5 weeks in Trois-Rivières, Quebec. (Diploma received)
Relevant Work Experience:
Simon Fraser University Department of French
• Reviewed literature on blended second language learning and teaching (which combines online and in-person educational practices).
• Designed surveys to gauge student engagement with blended language learning.
TRU World (International Training Centre for English and Canadian culture)
• Taught post-secondary classes in content-based English in Language & Culture and Study Skills.
• Managed two classes of international, young adult students from countries all over the world, including Korea, Japan, Taiwan, Russia, Ukraine, Mexico, and Spain.
• Provided assessment to 35 students in English reading, writing, listening, and speaking capabilities.
The Omega (TRU’s student-run newspaper)
• Edited an average of 7,500 words per weekly issue.
• Ensured everything published was error-free by exhibiting grammar and punctuation skills and acute attention to detail.
• Contributed to Arts, News, and Features sections by writing 10 reviews and 2 features.
The Writing Centre
• Encouraged and assisted up to 12 students a week in improving their writing skills by setting goals,
providing feedback, and sharing knowledge of the English language and formal academic writing.
• Advised students on academic English writing including grammar, punctuation, sentence structure, essay format
and style, citations, and revision.
• Provided support for international students in learning how to read and write in English.
• Specialization in copy editing and proofreading.
• Experience with fiction, non-fiction, children's literature, academic papers, and doctoral dissertations.
Certifications and Training:
• The Working Mind employee program (Mental Health Commission of Canada)
• TRU Writing Centre tutor training
• Mental Health First Aid Canada certification
• TRU Co-Curricular Peer Leaders Program
• Member of the Department of Canadian Heritage LGBTQ2+ Working Group
• The National Capital Region Young Professionals Network Fair, November 2018
• The Vancouver Gem & Mineral Show (Social Media Coordinator)
• Growing Room: A Feminist Literary Festival by Room Magazine
closeby? Here's a selection of tutoring ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest vocabulary - english lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, oral expression - english lessons for all!
Taking writing comprehension - english lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at their home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||$30||$30|