My teaching method is simple: teach for the student. As important as it is to me that my students advance musically, it's just as important that they enjoy learning and have a positive association with music. Everyone learns differently, so this will vary person to person.
I am a working professional musician and educator. I started teaching music in high school and now have ten years of experience. I graduated from the University of Toronto with a Master of Music in Performance in the spring of 2018.
Cancellations earlier than 48 hours from the lesson time will be mean a full refund or make up lesson
Cancellations 24-48 hours before the lesson time will result in a 50% lesson fee charge.
Cancellations fewer than 24 hours before the lesson time will result in the full lesson fee charge.
Saxophone (tenor, soprano, alto, baritone), clarinet, bass clarinet, voice, flute, piano.
As a Performer
- Frequent Toronto performances as a member of jazz groups including The Marie Goudy 12tet, Octorock, the Nick Arseneau Sextet, and Renegade, as well as a side musician with various groups.
- Summer 2018 tour with Chelsea McBride’s Socialist Night School big band
- Ongoing touring and recording schedule as a member of Toronto soul/folk band A Fellow Ship
- Multiple recordings for television/web commercials and video game soundtracks
- Frequent performances as a member of special events dance band Kim and Company
- Frequent performances/recordings with soul band Brother Amos
- Ongoing performance and recording schedule as a freelance musician
As a Writer/Arranger
- Composition and arrangements for various types of jazz ensembles (big band, 12tet, sextet, SATB vocals, etc.) - Arranging of popular R&B, rock, and funk tunes for Kim and Company (3 voices, 4 horns, rhythm section)
- Writing and arranging of horn parts for Arts & Crafts recording artists Zeus
Master of Music at University of Toronto (Graduated 2018)
- 1st Tenor in University of Toronto Jazz Orchestra (Dir. Gordon Foote) and U of T 12tet (Dir. Terry Promane) - Teaching Assistant to Chase Sanborn
- Student of Mike Murley, Terry Promane, Kelly Jefferson, and John MacLeod
Jazz Studies at Capilano University (Graduated 2014)
- Earned Bachelor’s degree in Music (Jazz Performance) on saxophone
- Dean’s List (2012, 2013, 2014)
- Three years’ private study with Steve Kaldestad at Capilano University
- Three years as a frequently featured soloist in the Capilano University “A” Band, directed by Brad Turner - Two years as bass singer in NiteCap (vocal jazz group) directed by Rejean Marois
Eight years of Saxophone/Woodwinds:
- Intermittent private study with Gary Smulyan, Mike Murley, Kelly Jefferson, Campbell Ryga, and Perry White over several years
Nine years of Piano:
- Eight years of private classical study (Royal Conservatory of Music Grade 7 qualifications)
- One year of private jazz study with Chris Sigerson at Capilano University
As an Educator:
Teaching Assistant at University of Toronto
- Instructor for the Jazz Workshop, a new course for the 2017-18 academic year.
- TA to Prof. Chase Sanborn for 1st Year Jazz Improvisation and 2nd Year History of Jazz course during 2016-17 academic year
Ten years as a Woodwind Instructor
- Freelance woodwind teacher in the White Rock, BC area while in high school
- Woodwind Instructor at VCMA Music Academy (March 2014-August 2014)
- Woodwind Instructor at Melody School of Music (September 2014-September 2016)
- Woodwind Instructor at Allegro Music (April 2015-June 2018)
- Woodwind Instructor at Lippert Music (September 2018-Present)
- Woodwind Instructor at Bayview Glen School (September 2018-Present)
Two years as a Piano Instructor
- Freelance piano teacher in White Rock, BC while a student at Capilano University
- Piano Instructor at Lippert Music (September 2018-Present)
- Piano Instructor at Bayview Glen School (September 2018-Present)
As a Clinician
- Hired as a clinician at several workshops and high school band camps around greater Toronto and Vancouver.
closeby? Here's a selection of tutoring ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest piano lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, music theory lessons for all!
Taking flute lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at their home||at your home||By webcam|