In my classes, we use the communicative language approach. Grammar lessons are brief, and then we use a series of communication-based activities and exercises to implement the language point. All lessons come with PDF notes and activities that are sent after class. Students speak a lot throughout every lesson, to maximize practice time and use the English that you already know! Together, we practice listening, reading, and speaking. My lessons are geared towards low-level and intermediate students. I believe that learning a language can be fun and that a relaxed and friendly learning environment supports learning.
I worked at Q-Kids teaching ESL to children in China for over a year. I also spent 6 months teaching English to adults at BLI Language School in Montreal. Now, I teach privately over zoom. Most of my sessions are one-on-one so that students can receive completely customized lessons.
Highlights of Qualifications
• 250-hour TESOL Diploma (Grammar, Methodology, and Phonology)
• Patient, intuitive, understanding
• Long term experience teaching as a Tutor, Nature Interpreter, and EA
• Positive child intervention check and clean criminal record check
250-hour TESOL Diploma 2019
OnTESOL - Coventry House International
Honours Bachelor of Biology & Environmental Science (HBSc) 2009 – 2013
McMaster University, Hamilton, ON
Private Math Tutor May 2013 – Present
• Offer a unique approach to tutoring that is engaging and tailored to various creative learning styles. Learning environment is fun and relaxed, allowing for maximum retention of knowledge and development of new skills and abilities.
• Successfully assists students from elementary school to college level in raising marks, reaching goals, and surpassing perceived limitations.
• Teaching is offered to all skills and abilities, often catering to students with mental health challenges and/or learning disabilities.
• Often assist students in other subjects, such as sciences, language arts, general study and organizational skills, test strategy, etc.
Private ESL Teacher June 2020 – Present
• Deliver private English lessons over zoom to children and adults
• Customize lessons and learning materials to fit the needs of the students
• Encouraging a comfortable online learning environment for students to practice their English, ask questions, and have fun
Q-Kids Online English Teacher February 2019 – May 2020
• Guide English lessons for children ages 4-14 through an online learning platform
• Focus on correcting pronunciation, grammar, intonation, and stress
• Encourage speaking practice and participation while facilitating a fun and engaging online learning environment
Level 1 ESL Teacher December 2019 – June 2020
BLI Language School, Montreal QC
• Designed lessons to deliver in a classroom environment to a group of teenage or adult ESL students.
• Designing lesson plans based on a provided outline and learning resources
• Creating and marking tests and assignments
• Responsible for various administrative duties such as attendance, submitting grades, email communication, etc.
Substitute Educational Assistant March 2018 – June 2019
Lethbridge School Board No. 51, Lethbridge, AB
• Assist teachers in classrooms ranging from pre-school to grade seven to create a more fluid and productive classroom environment.
• Provide one-on-one instruction to students requiring extra assistance with their school work. Provide emotional support to students as they require it.
• Responsible for behavior management, primarily one-on-one with disruptive students or students with special needs such as ADHD, ASD, and downs syndrome.
• As a substitute, I am flexible and dynamic in an ever-changing work environment.
Lethbridge College Summer Camp Instructor July 9 – 20, 2018
• Responsible for the preparation, planning, and execution of the Baby Sitter Camp (July 9 – 13) and Eco-Kids Camp (July 16 – 20)
• Brought a unique perspective to the Baby Sitter’s course as a mother and educational assistant. A down to earth and relaxed approach to teaching allowed the kids to have fun and feel free to ask questions.
• Incorporated unique aspects into the Ec0-Kids camp as a past nature interpreter for local ecology. This created a well-rounded program that included sustainability and ecology aspects that were fun and helped the children to internalize the importance of sustainability and conservation.
Nature Interpretation Program Leader 2014 – 2017
Helen Schuler Nature Centre
• Responsible for planning, preparing, and leading nature interpretation programs that are from 1-2 hours to day-long programs for all age groups ranging from toddlers to elderly, but primarily for elementary and middle school field trip groups.
• Updated the Wildflower and Leaf Guide that I had previously created. Captured new photos from the roof to replace most of the photos, which were previously internet-sourced. Identified new volunteer species of flowers and added them to the guide.
• Created a grasses guide consisting of all of the native species of grass found on the roof as well as common invasive species. Included tips to differentiate native species from invasive so that the guide may be used for roof garden maintenance. To compliment the guide, samples of each species were matted.
• Co-Coordinated the festival event Nature Play Day 2016. Responsibilities included: main point of contact for participants hosting activities, social media content creation and posting, booking rentals and distributing supplies, delegating responsibilities on festival day, photography, etc.
• Created the Wildflower Guide and accompanying Leaves Guide publications for the award-winning Living Roof at the nature center, which are now available for sale to the public.
closeby? Here's a selection of tutoring ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest ESL lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, oral expression - english lessons for all!
Taking listening comprehension - english lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at their home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||Not available||$25|