My foremost teaching principle is to explain the concepts as simple as possible and make the students to easily understand it. Teaching strategies usually involves board or power point presentation, diagrammatic representation of complex figures and equations.
I'm Dr. Balakumaran P.A., Ph.D holder, working as Scientist in the field of Biotechnology. I have more than 10+ years of research experience and teach classes for high school, UG and PG students in the field of biology and biotechnology. Trained in Germany for advanced research in bioengineering. Recipient of DAAD fellowship, Germany, CSIR- Senior Research Fellowship, Tata fellowship and many more awards.
DR. P.A.BALAKUMARAN, Ph.D.
To innovate, hone my skills, and leverage my technical and functional expertise in the field of bioengineering so that I may contribute to science and technology development.
2011 – 2017 Ph.D. Biotechnology
Centre for Biotechnology, Anna University, Chennai, India
2007 – 2011 M.S. (by research) Biotechnology
Centre for Biotechnology, Anna University, Chennai, India
2003 – 2007 B.Tech. Industrial Biotechnology
Anna University, Chennai, India
Ph.D. research involved heterologous production, characterization and application of Aspergillus clavatus laccase expressed in Pichia pastoris. The first approach was cloning the fungal laccase in Pichia pastoris, analysis of expression and characterization of the enzyme, intracellular copper accumulation and its impact on host physiology. The second approach was enhancing laccase production through 13C-based metabolic flux analysis of central carbon metabolism (fiat flux software). Bioprocess strategies for large scale production of this enzyme and its application in NADH oxidation was studied.
M. S. and Ph.D. research provided me with experience in using bioreactors (Bioengineering KLF 2000 3.7L, New Brunswick 7L, Bioengineering 300L), analytical equipment like HPLC, Atomic Absorption Spectroscopy, and molecular biology techniques such as cloning, site directed mutagenesis, DNA transformation, electroporation, DNA transfer, enzyme screening and assay development.
INDUSTRIAL EXPERIENCE AND RESEARCH POSITIONS
July 2017 – present Scientist R&D, Fermentation and new application development, Private biotech organization in Chennai, India
Fermentation and process development using unique probiotic technology
Strain characterization and development for new applications
Medium design and optimization through statistical techniques
Reduce cycle time of fermentation and process costs
Molecular fingerprinting of metabolites and other biochemicals in fermentation sample through analytical techniques
Development of non-toxic, bio-degradable formulations for textile industries, leather industries, bioremediation, paper & pulp, household care
Improve the performance of the fermented sample for ready to use formulations
Microbiological, stability and performance analysis of developed products. Clean in place strategy to eliminate contamination
Identify, apply and obtain grants and Recognition for R&D
Jan 2019 – present Subject Matter Expert – Biology, Six Red Marbles Inc., Chennai
Aug 2018 – present Faculty, Biotechnology and Life science coaching centre, Chennai
June 2013 – Sept 2014 DAAD Scholar, RWTH Aachen University, Germany
Aug 2012 – July 2016 CSIR Senior Research Fellow, CBT, Anna University, Chennai, India
1. Balakumaran PA, Förster J, Zimmermann M, Charumathi J, Schmitz A, Czarnotta E, Lehnen M, Sudarsan S, Ebert BE, Blank LM, Meenakshisundaram S 2016. The trade-off of availability and growth inhibition through copper for the production of copper dependent enzymes by Pichia pastoris. BMC Biotechnology, 16:20.
doi: 10.1186/s12(concealed information)
2. Charumathi J, Balakumaran PA, Sankaranarayanan M 2017. Cofactor engineering improved CALB production in Pichia pastoris through heterologous expression of NADH oxidase and adenylate kinase. PLoS One, 12(7):e0181370.
3. Balakumaran PA, Meenakshisundaram S 2015. Modelling of process parameters for enhanced production of Coenzyme Q10 from Rhodotorula glutinis. Preparative Biochemistry and Biotechnology, 45:398-410.
doi: 10.1080/(concealed information)
4. Charumathi J, Balakumaran PA, Meenakshisundaram S 2017. Formate co-feeding improved Candida antarctica lipase B activity in Pichia pastoris. Research Journal of Biotechnology, 12(12).
5. Yasodha T, Balakumaran PA, Harikumar M 2008. Karyotyping studies of traffic workers exposed to automobile exhaust. Asian Journal of Microbiology Biotechnology and Environmental Science, 10:405-406.
CONFERENCES AND WORKSHOPS
1. Presented and received first prize for the paper entitled DNA fingerprinting in forensic science in state level technical symposium organized by Mepco Schlenk College of Engineering, Sivakasi, India.
2. Participated at Jülich Biotech day seminar on the theme White biotechnology bridges the gap between sustainable natural resources and valuable chemical products at Forschungszentrum, Jülich, Germany.
3. Attended Indo-Italian workshop on Food Biotechnology and presented my research work on heterologous expression and enhanced production of laccase in Pichia pastoris at Punjabi university, Patiala, Punjab, India. (ICIB 2012).
4. Presented poster on Production of Coenzyme Q10 from Rhodotorula glutinis at the International Congress on Bioprocesses in Food Industries (ICBF 2008) held at Osmania University, Hyderabad, India.
5. Participated at the international workshop on scientific writing, IPR productization and research ethics and conference on advanced research technologies, jointly organized by Ohio State University, USA and CBT – Anna University, Chennai, India.
6. Participated at the National Congress of Parasitology organized by CBT, Anna University, Chennai and Indian Society of Parasitology.
7. Presented poster at Bioprocessing India 2015, International conference conducted at IIT Madras, Chennai (17-19 December 2015).
8. Participated in workshop IPR issues pertaining to manufacturing for patented and public domain knowledge & entrepreneurship, held at Centre for Biotechnology, Anna University, Chennai (6-8 June 2016).
9. Participant and speaker (about 13C metabolic flux analysis) at global initiative of academic networks (GIAN) on bioprocess and metabolic engineering, held at IIT Madras (2-15 July 2016).
Aug 2011 – July 2012 LADY TATA MEMORIAL TRUST Junior Research Fellow, CBT Anna University, Chennai, India
Production of Coenzyme Q10 from Rhodotorula glutinis
Received training in molecular biology techniques including mutagenesis, and cDNA library construction, in upstream/downstream processing, and in statistical techniques such as Central Composite Designs for medium optimization (Design Expert 7.0 software)
Dec 2006 – Apr 2007 Project Trainee, National Environmental Engineering and Research Institute (NEERI), CSIR, Chennai, India
Research involved PCR-based detection of environmental mycobacteria in air and soil around TB hospital
The NEERI team identified areas in Chennai prone to mycobacterial infection using a novel air sampling technique and high-throughput PCR screening
June 2006 – July 2006 In-plant Trainee at electron microscopy and cytogenetics department, Cancer Institute, Chennai, India
20 Dec 2004 -
23 Dec 2004 Inplant trainee at SPIC Biotechnology division, Chennai, India
Production of enzymes and other bioproducts (upstream & downstream processes)
9 Dec 2006 -
21 Dec 2006 Trainee at Pepsi Co. India holdings Ltd., Mamandur, India
Manufacture of soft drinks and quality control.
FELLOWSHIP & ACADEMIC ACHIEVEMENTS
2013-2014 DAAD Fellowship for research on metabolic engineering strategies for enhanced production of laccase in Pichia pastoris with Prof. Lars Blank, Institute of Applied Microbiology, RWTH Aachen University, Germany
2012-2016 CSIR Senior Research Fellowship for research in Biochemical engineering domain
2011-2012 Lady Tata Memorial Trust junior scholarship in Genetic and process optimization for enhanced production of recombinant Coenzyme Q10 from Rhodotorula glutinis
2003-2004 Student of the department Award for excellence in first semester during B.Tech programme
1995 Credit Award from University of New South Wales, Australia for an International Science Competition for Schools
ASSOCIATION WITH PROFESSIONAL ORGANIZATIONS
1. Member, European federation of Biotechnology
2. Member, International Metabolic engineering society
2. Member, Society for Biological engineering
1. News Reader cum Translator, All India Radio, Chennai
2. Radio Jockey, FM Rainbow, All India Radio, Chennai
I hereby declare that all the information provided above is authentic and trustworthy.
- P.A. Balakumaran
|at their home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||$9||Not available||$9|