- Hourly rate $30
- Response Time 5h
- Number of students 21
1st lesson is free!
Take your English to the next level, while having lots of fun? Yes, let's! I am a professional actor / ESL tutor and accent reduction coach. Together, let's learn to speak expressive eloquent English.
- By webcam
This tutor has passed all tests and is officially one of our best tutors. They proudly carries our values (...).
About the lesson
I'm a professional film and theatre actor with over 35 years experience in film tv and theatre (49 credits IMDb), inspired to use my experience as a communicator and performer for your English lessons. With theatre sports, improv and active participation, we can jump right in to a scene or improvisation using the English language. This is excellent for practicing the rhythm of English, as we play characters in a film, or explore language while improvising a scene together. I use fun, interactive ways for you learn and understand the sounds, rhythm and feeling of speaking English like a Native speaker. All this means having an authentic and fun experience, and learning faster.
I am currently in Bangkok Thailand (12-15 hours time difference), so please allow extra time for me to respond to your request.
I am excited to hear from you and what you looking for as a student, so why not book your free trial lesson today and see if we are a good fit!
- Vocabulary - English
- Oral expression - English
Writing comprehension - English
Listening comprehension - English
Accent reduction - English
- All Levels
About Brian Knox
Private ESL tutor (TEFL from Oxford seminars 2018) with 3 years teaching experience, using performance theatre and film acting as a basis for learning English as a second language. Professional film actor with 49 IMDB credits: (BFA acting - University of Alberta 1987). Guest lecturer: ESL for political sciences at Srinkiharwinot University social sciences dept., Bangkok Thailand both in person and online remotely. Created and filmed an 8 module online English for Business course for Future Skill Thailand, and designed and taught ESL for policing to the Royal Thai police department in Bangrak Bangkok, September 2019.
Perfect! Very eye opening , fun and interesting approach to accent reduction!
- See the response Brian Knox : It was a pleasure to join Anish by Zoom and offer a first lesson today. He already speaks English very clearly, and I am quite certain that techniques from acting and the theatre can help him further build his communication skills in English, with increased vocal range, longer phrases and use of pauses and tone, as well as speaking with a more native North American rhythm and emphasis.
Perfect! I had a very enjoyable experience with Brian Knox on our first tryout online lesson, which was over what I expected. Brian Knox has many strengths on teaching. He is passionate, responsive, punctual, etc. He specializes in teaching pronunciation and tone based on his professional film and theatre actor background, which is a great benefit for English language learners. What I appreciate the most is that he is very understanding and adaptable to cater the demands of students. I was inspired and never bored in his lesson. Strongly recommend!
- See the response Brian Knox : I was delighted to meet Cecilia online for the first time, and have a poignant lesson with her. I discovered that she has an intelligent, driven energy with a passion for authentic conversation. I believe that with mindful practice and study, she can soon become an excellent and confident communicator in English.
Perfect! The first class with Brian was great as he structured it so well like real English classes while I thought this was just a class with normal conversations in English.
- See the response Brian Knox : I was delighted to meet Yota by Zoom and spend an hour working with him. I noticed that he is an excellent listener and very receptive to the suggestions that I made; I believe that with practice and repetition, he can easily improve his spoken English and adopt a clear, well spoken North American style of English.
Perfect! He is very professional, patient, and a good listener which is very helpful if you want to improve your accent and overall your verbal expression, he uses Acting methods to help you, increase your confidence expressing yourself.
- See the response Brian Knox : I loved meeting Raquel and hearing her story, as well as her dreams for a future as a screenwriter and artist in the motion picture industry. She is intelligent and passionate, and I am quite certain that with study and practice, Raquel can achieve an excellent and elegant writing and speaking style in English.
Perfect! Brian incorporated a lot of training methods from acting and performing into the lesson, which I found super helpful for an ESL learner to really open up the mouth and get a sense of English rhythm. He is well prepared, organized, and able to analyze from a linguistical point of view. I must say I am benefited more than I expected.
- See the response Brian Knox : I very much enjoyed Rita, who is educated, enthusiastic and well spoken. With practice and repetition, I am sure that she will soon have a wonderfully elegant native Canadian manner of speaking.
Perfect! Very good tutor!
- See the response Brian Knox : I really enjoyed meeting Deep and teaching both ESL an acting at the same time. She is enthusiastic and willing to learn. I'm quite certain that with practice and repetition, Deep will achieve a more Native English sound and an authentic presence as an actor.
Perfect! It was very interesting. Brian has a love of language that is infectious :)
- See the response Brian Knox : It was delightful to meet and share with Shan, who I found well spoken and quite advanced with her English pronunciation already. I believe that with mindfulness and continued practice of details and phrasing, Shan will develop an elegant and well spoken communication style in English. BKM
Perfect! I have been studying English with Brian for some time. He is an actor and also an earnest and interesting English teacher. In the class, he is good at using many different ways of teaching. After the class, he always gives me lots of resources about the lesson, including the lesson video, his detailed comments, new vocabularies with their meanings. I highly recommend Brian to everyone who wants to improve their English.
- See the response Brian Knox : Andy is a very enthusiastic student with a positive personal energy and is very motivated to improve his English. Teaching him was excellent and fun!
View more reviews
I have had the opportunity to work with Brian as his professional performance agent and booker. Brian has an innate ability to convey at multiple levels to teach the average up.to the advanced student. As a professional acting teacher and coach, I have watched Brian teach his acting students from ground zero up to the very advanced level. His kind and loving aporoach makes Brian a top notch sought after teacher. If you are looking for a strong nurturing instructor, one will certainly excel under the guidance of this highly skilled teacher. I would recommend Brian over and over again. He is highly respected at Walkerville School of Drama, in Canada and abroad. I have trusted Brian's professionalism for 15 years and hold the utnost respect for him as a teacher, performer and friend!
The 60 minutes spent in private class with Mr. Brian is not only educative, but his method of teaching infused with humor has led to a significant improvement in me overall performance.That 's the reason why I
rank him as the most desired english teacher. /Nawapol
I have known Brian since we studied in Oxford Seminars in Vancouver in 2018. Brian was the most creative in our class. His lessons were interesting, educative and fun. We always keep in touch after our graduation. Brian enjoys teaching and his students like him a lot.
He is an incredible teacher. In the first class, he motivated me to work harder. He pulled out many prepared scripts and asked me to practice. It was an unparalleled experience. He is not like any other ESL teacher. His teaching methods are exciting and fun. He also recorded the class and reported to me what to improve. I decided to continue taking his class. I highly recommend him if you want to speak like a native.
I highly recommend Brian Knox McGugan for an English teacher. As an Assistant Professor of Department of Political Science at Srinakharinwirot University, in 2019-2020, I invited him to be guest lecturer in my English for Political Science class. He is a well organized teacher who develops inspiring relationships with his students. His ability to connect with his students and his talent at teaching simple concepts, as well as more advanced in World Politics topics during Covid-19 crisis are both truly superior. Brian accomplishes all these tasks with great initiative and positive attitude. I do recommend Brian to you without reservation.
Brian and I have known each other for 2 years. He tutored me in 2019 when I had immigrated in Canada. Brian is an incredible teacher, he uses different approaches in his tutoring based on the needs of each student. He is a great listener and teacher, very friendly and educated. He helped me a lot with grammar, everyday conversation topics, idioms, and even with the engineering vocabulary as this is my professional field. Each session with Brian was different - we went to the library, recorded videos, listened to music, shopped together, and attended social events.
I highly recommend Brian to anybody who would like to learn English and gain a great experience!
5 stars only!
View more recommendations
- 5 h: $145
- 10 h: $285
- $ 30/h
Find out more about Brian Knox
1. When and why did you develop an interest in your chosen field? *
I was first inspired by my grade 10 drama teacher Gary Stromsmoe at Western Canada High School in Calgary Canada, who made drama class the coolest place to be in school. I was intrigued by Theatre as a crazy and wonderful form of self expression and followed in the footsteps of other performers who were also colleagues and students of Gary: [Michael Stirling Green/ One Yellow Rabbit, Ikarus theatre co]. Today I want to integrate my experience and energy as a actor with my new field as ESL teacher to create fun and effective lessons for my students.
2. What makes you passionate about your subject? *
I've always been passionate about languages, travel and culture, so this is an opportunity both as teacher and student, to further my experience and learning in the field of language learning, and in sharing my energy with others.
3. What do you like about tutoring? What makes you a "Superprof"? *
I love the opportunity to work 1 on 1 and see the student improve. I'm also interested in being creative about adapting my lessons as needed for each student.
4. Do you have any role models; a teacher that inspired you? *
Gary Stomsomoe (WCHS Drama) in Calgary was wonderful in his quiet vulnerable way of expressing his true self without need for affirmation. This caused his students to naturally want to collaborate with him. Wes Nuttall (WCHC Social Studies) in Calgary went out of his way with funny and imaginative over the top play acting to encourage us to learn about historical events. He even stood up on his desk once to illustrate Michelangelo falling off his scaffold, complete with voice and sound effects. This class was always very sought after and completely booked up. Jan 2021: I'm here in Bangkok Thailand, I think back to my Oxford Seminars TEFL teacher Ian McKinnon who inspired me with his dead-pan wry faced sense of humour, with humorous stories about the ins and outs of travelling the world, teaching English in even the most bizarre and interesting circumstances. We all laughed a lot in that class; it was a fresh start for me, and exciting and inspiring class that has me excited and looking forward my further adventures teaching and travelling soon.
5. What are your keys to success? *
Optimism, energy, listening and creativity, and all of this coming from my unique perspective as a professional performer.