I have a passion of teaching Physics and mathematics. I have been teaching since Grade 10. I have taught in groups in a class room setting as well as individual. I always try to make the concepts of Physics very clear to students and try to create critical thinking in them. While teaching physics , I give examples and applications of these concepts in the real life. Teaching problem solving skills in students is another aspect of my teaching that would enable them to solve the real world problems.
I am a PhD in Physics from the University of Manitoba. I worked as a Research Fellow for two years at University of Manitoba after my PhD. I have been an Assistant Professor in Physics for 4 years and a Lecturer in Physics for 9 years.
Ph.D. (Physics) 2013 University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Canada
M.Phil (Physics)* 1999 Quaid-i-Azam University, Islamabad, Pakistan
M.Sc. (Physics) 1989 Quaid-i-Azam University, Islamabad, Pakistan
B.Sc. (Maths., Physics) 1986 University of Punjab, Lahore, Pakistan
PhD Thesis: “Design and Development of Detector Modules for a Highly Compact and Portable Preclinical PET System” (Resulted in 4 peer reviewed publications and 7 conference proceedings) – Advisor: Dr. Andrew Goertzen
*M. Phil Theseis: “Experimental and Monte Carlo Simulation Studies of Open Cylindrical Radon Monitoring Device using CR-39 Detector” (published in a peer reviewed journal: Fazal- ur-Rehman et al., Journal of Enviromental Radioactivity, 65/2, (2003)243-245.)
1. Manitoba Health Research Council (MHRC)/Health Sciences Foundation (HSF) Graduate Studentship Award for Ph.D (2010-2012) - $35700.
2. Manitoba Graduate Scholarship Award (2008-2010) awarded by Ministry of Advanced Education, Canada - $30000.
3. Manitoba Health Research Council (MHRC) Graduate Studentship Award (Masters) (2008-2010) - $35700.
4. Recipient of a 2011 IEEE NSS/MIC/RTSD Trainee Grant Award for presenting a paper in 2011 IEEE Nuclear Science Symposium and Medical Imaging Conference 23-29 October 2011, Valencia, Spain (EUR 500).
5. University of Manitoba Graduate Student Travel Award (2010, PhD) for a paper presentation at the 2010 Nuclear Science Symposium and Medical Imaging Conference, 30 October - 6 November, 2010, Knoxville, Tennessee, USA. ($500)
6. Graduate Students Association University of Manitoba Bursary Award, 2009-2010 $10400.
7. University of Manitoba Graduate Student Travel Award (2009, Masters) for a paper presentation at the Society of Nuclear Medicine 2009 Conference, Toronto-Canada, June 13 – 17, 2009. ($500)
8. University Gold Medal and roll of honor for highest standing in Physics (M.Phil), Quaid-i-Azam University, Islamabad, Pakistan (1999).
9. First position in Radiation Safety Officer exam conducted by King Abdulaziz City for Science &Technology (KACST), Riyadh, Saudi Arabia – A regulatory Authority in Radiation Protection in the Kingdom.
10. A “Certificate of Distinction” was awarded by the Rector of the King Fahd University of Petroleum & Minerals (KFUPM) for teaching the distinguished short course, titled “Principles of Radiation Protection” during the academic year 2001 – 2002.
11. "Distinguished" performance evaluation throughout the professional carreer at KFUPM (1998-2007).
Employment History/Professional Experience:
Assistant Professor Sept, 2014 - May 2018 Physics, King Fahd University of Petroleum & Minerals (KFUPM), Dhahran, Saudi Arabia
Research Fellow 2012 - 2014 Department of Radiology, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Canada
PhD Candidate 2007 - 2012 Department of Physics & Astronomy, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Canada
Lecturer in Physics &
Radiation Safety Officer 2000 - 2007 Physics Department & Radiation Protection Group, King Fahd University of Petroleum & Minerals (KFUPM), Dhahran, Saudi Arabia
Scientist-II/Health Physicist 1998 - 2000 Radiation Protection Group, Center for Applied Physical Sciences, King Fahd University of Petroleum & Minerals (KFUPM), Dhahran, Saudi Arabia
Senior Scientific Officer 1997 - 1998 Radiation Physics Division, Pakistan Institute of Nuclear Science & Technology (PINSTECH), Pakistan Atomic Energy Commision, PAEC, Islamabad, Pakistan
Scientific Officer 1992 - 1997 Radiation Physics Division, Pakistan Institute of Nuclear Science & Technology (PINSTECH), Pakistan Atomic Energy Commision , PAEC, Islamabad, Pakistan
• Post Graduate Training Course (PGTC) in Computers form CTC
Islamabad, Pakistan – six months duration
• Nuclear Orientation Course for Scientists and Engineers from
Center for Nuclear studies Islamabad, Pakistan Atomic
Energy Commission – six months duration
• Radiation Safety Officers Training from Center for Applied
Physicsl Sciences, KFUPM – 2 weeks duration
• Radiation Safety Training at University of Manitoba
• Certified Radiation Safety Officer from King Abdulaziz City for
Science & Technology (KACST), Saudi Arabia – A regulatory
Authouthority in Radiation Protection in the Kingdom
Skills and expertise acquired during PhD and during Research
• PhD Thesis: Design and Development of Detector Modules for a Highly Compact and Portable Preclinical PET System (see my published manuscripts showing my PhD work and experinece)
• Developing Scintillation radiation detectors and instrumentation for clinical applications
• Experimental setup, measurement, data acquisition and analysis
• Writing manuscripts for peer reviwed journals
• Programming skills in Matlab, C/C++
• Mont Carlo simulations using GATE and DETECT20000
• Extensive use of MS Office –Word, Excel, PowerPoint
Radiation Physics Courses taken during my PhD as the part of Medical Physics Program
• Medical Radiation Physics & Dosimetry
• Radiation Biology
• Physics in Nuclear Medicine
• Medical Imaging
• Diagnostic Methods
Current Teaching and Research:
I have been an Assistant Professor in Physics (2014 – May 2018), teaching physics courses at King Fahd University of Petroleum and carrying out research in the area of Radiation Physics/ Radiation Protection. I resigned from this position.
Teaching (9 years teaching experience at KFUPM) – Radiation Protection Physics and Health Physics
Taught the following courses at KFUPM (1998-2007)
• Phys 102 Labs. associated with General Physics-II Course.
• Phys 101 Labs. associated with General Physics-I Course.
• Preparatory Physical Science PYP001.
• “Health Physics” Graduate Lab associated with the Medical Physics Course MEPH 569.
• Radiation Physics/Health Physics undergraduate Labs. associated with the course Phys 351
• Some of the Labs associated with Medical Physics Course MEPH 563 “Radioisotopes in Medicine and Biology”.
• Health Physics/Radiation Physics Short Courses “Principles of Radiation Protection” conducted in the uinversity four times a year (1999-2007).
• Taught C/C++ programming to the scientists and engineers of PINSTECH, Pakistan Atomic Energy Commission (PAEC) for 2 semesters.
• Supervised summer training programme of two B.Sc students, Omar Somali and Abdullah Al-Zahrani from Physics Department of King Fahd University, Dhahran, Saudi Arabia in the field of Radiation Physics/Health Physics - a requirement for graduation (2001).
Consultancy Work as Radiation Safety Officer/Health Physicist
Consultancy work as Radiation Safety Officer for the university (KFUPM) with the local industries using radioactive sources in their facilities. As part of the consultancy, I carried out the following tasks:
• Radiation Survey
• Leak Test
• Shielding Design and Calculation
• Teaching short courses on Principles of Radiation Protection/Radiation Safety Officers Training for different local industries using radioactive sources in their facilities and on- site Radiation Safety Training at different industries. Some of the clients served were:
• Day-to-day Radiation Protection and Health Physics activities around KFUPM 350 keV linear accelerator, carrying Bubblers air sampling, filter air sampling, smear leak test, bioassay, radiation survey, Sheilding, spectroscopy and analysis etc.).
Expertise acquired during Reaseach at KFUPM
• Applied Radiation Physics/Health Physics
• Radon Dosimetry, Neutron Dosimetry
• Alpha Spectroscopy, Gamma Spectroscopy
• Application of radiation detectors/Nuclear Track Detectors in other areas of Applied Radiation Physics, Medical Physics and Nuclear Physics.
Departmental Committees Work –Physics Department (KFUPM 1998-2007)
• Physics Activity Committee
• Computer Utilization Committee
• Safety Committee
• Brochures Committee
Research Projects before PhD
(i) Completed KFUPM or Externally Funded Approved research Projects
No. Project's Title Funding Agency Starting Date Completion Date Role
1. Indoor radon survey in the dwellings of seven different cities of the Eastern and the Western Provinces of Saudi Arabia. (Project No. SABIC/2000-14). SABIC/KFUPM Oct 2000 Jan 2004 Co-Investigator
2. Radon Exhalation Rates from Building Materials and Correlation with Radium Content. (Project No. PH/RADON/220 KFUPM June 2001 Dec 2003 Co-Investigator
3. Indoor Radon Survey in Dwellings of some Regions in Yemen.
A collaboration project between Physics Department, Hodaida University, Yemen and Physics Department, KFUPM Independent Oct. 2000 August 2002 Co-Investigator
4. External Gamma Radiation Survey for Oil Wellheads in the Southern Producing Area”. Project # CAPS2223 for Saudi Aramco Oil Company. Saudi Aramco April 2003 July 2005 Co-Investigator
5. Measurements of Radon Concentration in the Houses of Al-Jauf Region. Project No. Phys 2229 Abdulrahman Al-Sodairi Estt. March 2002 Nov. 2005 Co-Investigator
6. Indoor Radon Survey in Dwellings of Sana' and Hudaidah Cities of Yemen.
A collaboration project between Physics Department, Hodaida University, Yemen and Physics Department, KFUPM Independent October 2003 October
7. Radon Assessment of Key Industrial Facilities of Saudi Aramco” Saudi Aramco January 2016 March 2017 Project Manager
(ii) Participation in Radon intercomparison/Calibration
1. Participation in European Commission international inter-comparison of Passive Radon Dosimeters held in National Radiological Protection Board (NRPB), UK (1999-2003).
2. Participation in Calibration of KFUPM Passive Radon Dosimeter (PRD) using standarad source facility of National Radiological Protection Board (NRPB) at UK (1999).
CURRENT COMPLETED PROJECT: RADON ASSESSMENT OF KEY INDUSTRIAL FACILITIES OF SAUDI ARAMCO. PROJECT # PHYS 2396
Expertise as Senior Scientific Officer in Pakistan Atomic Energy Commission
• Reaserch and developmental work in the area of Applied Radiation Physics
• Preparing manuscript for peer reviewed journals
• Using active and passive radiation detectors
• alpha spectroscopy
• gamma spectroscopy
I have about 60 research publications in international journals of repute.
closeby? Here's a selection of tutoring ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest algebra lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, trigonometry lessons for all!
Taking physics lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at their home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||$25||$25||Not available|