My teaching method is a student-centered approach, focused on teaching students how to learn themselves and fostering curiosity and passion for the required subject, aiming to engender a problem solving mentality they can carry into the rest of their academic lives.
A typical student's journey starts with a meeting, with either the student or both them and their parents, where we discuss what their goals are for our time together, and assess where they are at and where they want to reach.
I am an International medical graduate, with 8 years of teaching experience in classroom settings, individual tutoring and experiential learning, particularly interested in helping younger students get into STEM and older students succeed in their path to medical school. Fluent in English and Spanish.
Starting rate $20 CAD. Sliding scale available.
Cancellation policy: Lessons not cancelled 12 hours in advance must be payed for in full.
International medical graduate (MD), currently in the process of degree cross validation and licencing, holding an open work permit. Long-time tutoring experience, as well as limited classroom teaching experience in ESL. Abundant experience in English-Spanish-English translation and style correction for academic writing and patient education resources; as well as in formal and informal education of medical personnel, including planning, undertaking and evaluating continual medical education seminars, as well as informal bedside teaching and one-on-one training under mentorship schemes. Additional experience in training of volunteers for different organizations. Particular interest in teaching for underserviced communities, with volunteer experience in the field, as well as in standardised examination preparation. Deeply passionate for language acquisition, currently working through B2 level courses for Italian and A1 for Japanese, as well as basic ASL.
- Translator; María Consuelo Velasco; Bogotá, Colombia; August 2010 – Current
- ESL, IELTS and TOEFL preparation coach, academic tutoring Private tutor; Bogotá, Colombia; Ocassional, August 2010 – October 2017
- Volunteer ESL teacher; Colegio Nuestra Señora del Rosario Bogotá, Colombia; August 2009 – May 2010
- Voice actor; Llano Digital Studios Bogotá, Colombia; Ocassional, December 2004 –June 2014
- Medical Observer; Royal Free Hospital; London, UK; May 2019
- General physician; Sistemas de terapia respiratoria en casa; Bogotá, Colombia; December 2017 – June 2018
- Field medic; Valle Verde Centro Ecuestre & Outdoor S.A.S.; Bogotá, Colombia; August 2017 – December 2017
- Volunteer doctor; Fundación PRACCSO; Bogotá, Colombia; August 2017 – March 2018
- Medical Observer; Saint Mary’s Hospital - PICU; London, UK; June 2017 – July 2017
- Intern Hospital Universitario San Ignacio; Bogotá, Colombia; December 2016 – May 2017
- Intern Hospital Universitario de la Samaritana; Bogotá, Colombia; May 2016 – November
EDUCATION AND QUALIFICATIONS
Medical Council of Canada – NAC examination : September 2020
Medical Council of Canada – MCCQE part 1 : January 2020
General Medical Council – PLAB 2 : October 2018
General Medical Council – PLAB 1 : March 2018
British Council – Academic IELTS : December 2017
National Board of Medical Examiners – IFOM CSE : August 2016
Pontificia Unicersidad Javeriana – Physician and Surgeon (GPA 4.0/5.0) : June 2011 – May 2017
IB programme at Colegio Marymount – IB Diploma (33 points) : June
COURSES, MEETINGS, AND CONFERENCES
BLS & ACLS Corporacion Universitaria Adventista (Under the American Heart Association) : October 2017
Club de Revistas de Pediatría Pontificia Universidad Javeriana (Pediatric literature review group) : January 2017 – May 2017
Congreso 2017 (2017 Academia Colombiana de congress) Peditría y Puericultura : October 2017
AIEPI Pontificia Universidad Javeriana : July 2015
• Volunteer Clown with the Dr Clown PUJ Student Association during medical school.
• Experience in medical, legal and general English-Spanish-English translation, in particular for the Kangaroo Mother Programme and as an independent contractor based in Colombia.
• Extensive childcare experience.
• Basketball player in hisghschool and the first 2 years of medschool.
Perfect! Alicia is by far, the best tutor I've ever had. Her engaging personaility and very admirable knowledge of the content provided to her made me enjoy and love the subject I was taking and she helped improve my studying tatics which paid off in the end for my finals. I strongly recommend Alicia for any tutoring help because she will help you improve your academic success to the fullest.
Adina has been a marvelous student so far, and I look forward to continuing our lessons and helping her reach her goals.
Alicia is a graduated MD in Colombia and always exceled both in the study of anatomy and physiology and in assisting her fellow medical students in learning and understanding about the minutiae of anatomical studies. She is a very knowledgeable, generous, patient and practical teacher.
I have known Alicia for many years. She is a knowledgeable, dedicated, and creative teacher. She is passionate about her field and genuinely enjoys teaching and mentoring. Alicia has excellent communication skills, and her lessons reflect a deep understanding of her students’ needs.
I highly recommend Alicia, she is responsible, caring and professional.
closeby? Here's a selection of tutoring ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest cell biology lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, genetics lessons for all!
Taking anatomy lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at their home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||Not available||$20|
|5 hours||Not available||Not available||$100|
|10 hours||Not available||Not available||$200|