Private tutoring has hit an all-time enrolment high over the last decade. More and more parents and students are looking for academic support to supplement their learning and improve their study habits. It’s not just to pull marks up from a failing grade anymore. It’s to make sure their child has every advantage when it comes to the marks they need to get into top Canadian universities and colleges.
As Nelson Mandela said,
“Education is the most powerful weapon you can use to change the world.”
There are many options when it comes to how tutoring is delivered to the student these days. You can employ a home tutor, attend a tutoring centre, join study groups, or use your computer and find an online tutor located anywhere in the world.
There is a myriad of subjects you can learn. The most popular in North America are math and English. A math tutor can be a generalist who teaches any level from elementary to high school math to college level. A few examples are difficult math areas like calculus, algebra, statistics, trigonometry, or any other math courses specific to their degree discipline.
Then there are the non-academic subjects like the arts (music, visual art, dance, and drama) as well as sports that tutoring can help you improve. There’s a tutor for every discipline, just let your fingers do the walking on the search bar.
Let’s look at the reasons why tutoring can benefit you or your child and what things you want to look out for to make sure you get the best and highest use out of your time and money.
Find yourself private lessons online.
Tutoring is Customised Learning for Everyone
Hiring a tutoring service is the first step to meeting your academic or learning goals. It’s not a silver bullet, because it won’t work without the equal effort of the student. However, it has been proven in many studies worldwide to be a key component of student success at any age.
What can you expect when you hire a tutor?
These are the seven points we think are essential when you hire a tutor:
- They have a thorough understanding of the subject and have spoken to the student and know the areas where they struggle. Their lessons are focused on improving the student’s academic skills in those areas.
- They teach at a pace the student can absorb best, and then they test them to make sure they understand the concepts thoroughly.
- The tutor will go from general ideas to specific ideas, so the student understands why the concept makes sense.
- When they are teaching a hard topic, they ask related questions, so the student starts to see the pattern of their thinking and leads them to the right answer. (leads not gives – them the answer).
- They use real-life examples to teach the student so they can relate to the subject more easily.
- They encourage and are a constant source of support to the student. They celebrate every achievement and ensure outstanding academic performance through disciplined study skills, note taking, test preparation, and homework help.
- They simplify the terms into everyday language, so the student doesn’t feel removed from the subject.
Home tutoring or individual tutoring is one of the most popular ways to hire a tutor, yet it is also one of the more expensive avenues. If you are looking for a more economical solution but still high-quality tutoring, why not try virtual learning. Online tutors tend to be about 30% cheaper than tutoring companies or even student peer tutors.
You can find a tutor online in Canada (shared time zones and school systems) through SuperProf. Online tutoring services have the added benefit of not requiring the student or the teacher to travel farther than their computer. They can share a Skype feed and use all the audio, pictorial, and graphic capabilities the internet can provide.
Online tutoring is why becoming a tutor has one of the lowest barriers to entry businesses around. There are no formal qualifications required. You must be an expert in a subject and have the training and marks/credentials to prove to your first few clients that you can help them. From there, your referrals will let the world know how well you do your job. Not bad for an average $20/hour starting rate.
10 Good Reasons to Hire a Tutor
Are you still on the fence about hiring a tutor?
Here are ten good reasons to move forward:
- Catch up on learning you missed or misunderstood.
- Spend the extra time you need to unlock different concepts and embed them in your memory. Doing this will help you progress more successfully in cumulative knowledge subjects like math and science, anatomy and physiology.
- Exam preparation and test prep. Supplemental instruction can teach you how to study more effectively, what to study, and how long is an appropriate amount of time for each grade level.
- Tutoring can take good students to great. Extra academic assistance can motivate a student who does well to turn on the jets and study harder, longer, and with more purpose using a tutor. This becomes especially important when you are in the later years of high school or university, and you are trying to get into an advanced academic program.
- You can’t pass the course without extra help. Tutoring programs can help you catch up with concepts you missed earlier and get better grades on the subsequent tests and exams to come.
- The best tutors find out your learning style and use it to teach you better and faster.
- Consistent reinforcement of core concepts. Individualised tutoring will drill you in ideas that are fundamental to understand and pass the course with a good grade. For example, writing skills in English tutoring are essential, so your tutor will emphasise grammar, syntax, and vocabulary so you can master your essay writing.
- Customised learning by peer tutors or group tutoring, either one can find out how best you learn and make it part of your education plan.
- Indulge your passion. Learn to speak French, play the cello, or ride a horse. Use this time to find a coach, music teacher, or language tutor to check those boxes off your list.
- Learn a trade. Consider changing careers to become an electrician or an HVAC (heating, ventilation, and air-conditioning), technician. If you love using your hands and want to be your own boss, this is a great idea for entrepreneurs-to-be.
Find out more about why you should be make education one of your new year resolutions.
Some Reasons Why Private Tuition Might Not Be for You
Hiring a tutor is not for everyone. It is expensive, and there is no guarantee of success. However, like most things, you get out of it what you put into it. If you invest time and money into a tutor who proves they can help you understand and demonstrate your learning in tests and exams, you’ve done something for yourself that can last a lifetime.
If you learn a subject like math well, it can help you for years down the road during your schooling and into your career. And given it is a cumulative subject solidifying the knowledge with math tutoring can make all the difference to your mark, your self-esteem, and your university prospects.
It’s possible that you’ve tried using a tutor or a tutoring centre in the past, and you didn’t have success. It could have been for several reasons:
- The tutor may not have been available often enough to make a difference in your understanding and mark.
- The tutor may not have been qualified to teach at your academic level, or they were not talented at helping you understand the material.
- Did you perhaps give in too early and not see any real difference?
Tutoring done well can make a real difference to your marks, your scholastic career, your eventual job prospects as well as your confidence and self-discipline. It will not be a walk in the park, but it’s not meant to be.
Who knows, you might even find a new career at the end of it, or you decide to become a tutor. It may be in the subject you’ve been tutored in like math, piano, or as an electrician.
Find out more about private tuition here.
The tutoring jobs are out there like they have never been in the past. With the market opening worldwide due to the internet and video conferencing. You can learn from anyone around the world or teach anyone in the world. All you need is a computer and an internet connection!
If you are looking for some more specific advice on if hiring a tutor is right for you, the top ten reasons to hire a tutor or wondering if a tutor can help you reach your goals, have a look at these articles.