Table of contents
- First-time private tutor: What do you need to know?
- Raise or lower the price of tutoring?
- Setting a fair price is key to success
- How to price your online tutoring?
- Suitable price according to your location
- Be aware of your competition
- Rely on other references too
“I never teach my pupils, I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.” - Albert Einstein
First-time private tutor: What do you need to know?
Private online tutoring is a convenient option for both young and adult learners. Whether you are in school, university, working, or interested in other professional opportunities, private tutoring can help you upgrade your skills. Learning Spanish, Mandarin Chinese, or German, studying math, or chemistry, or learning to play any musical instrument is now possible through private online tutorials. Do you want to learn to play the piano? Private tutoring may help you!
As you search for private tutoring online, you will find many related articles on how private lessons work, their benefits, and where to find them. However, if you decide to be the private online tutor this time, this article will be your perfect match! Here we will discuss some essential points that will be very helpful for you if you are a first-time private tutor, but still don't know how to set the price for your sessions. In this article, you will find information about setting a fair price for your online tutoring, the reason why cheap is not always best, and where to begin your online tutoring successfully!
Let's start by talking about one of the most relevant points: The price of your tutoring. Although online private lessons are usually cheaper than face-to-face lessons, establishing a fair price on them is not always easy, however, it is essential. Though sometimes it can be uncomfortable to talk about money, and even more so when you are in front of unknown people with different circumstances, the most important thing to remember is that you are exchanging your services, energy, and time. You have to bear in mind that offering private classes is a service that involves all your knowledge, years of study, love, and dedication, and that is fair and professional to recognize.
The average cost of private tutoring can vary depending on several factors. And of course, some will involve a higher cost than others. For this, a private online tutor needs to set their rates without fear of success and hesitation. Only you know what it takes!
However, if you have already set the price of your online lessons but you are not happy with it, and you are looking forward to readjusting it, maybe it's a sign for you to do it if you can identify with any of the following:
- Do you feel that you are overworked?
- Do you feel that your work is not rewarding you enough?
- Do you feel that you have set a cheaper price for your tutoring because you consider yourself not good enough?
- Do you feel that despite feeling passionate about teaching, you don't get anything in return?
- Did you set the price of your tutoring without any reference or market analysis?
- Do you feel that you do not have as many students as you would like?
- Have you lost the course of what you wanted to do?
- Have you lost motivation lately?
If you answered YES to any of these questions, it may be time to reconsider the price of your tutoring lessons. No worries, everything has a solution here!
So, how do you know if you are charging too much for your private lessons online? Should you decrease or increase those rates? In this article, you will understand how to set the right price for your private lessons. Let's find out!
Raise or lower the price of tutoring?
There will be certain circumstances in which you will have to adjust the price of your online lessons, either decide to raise it or charge less money for your tutoring lessons. For example, a global pandemic that demands much more online education and more work and energy on your part would be a very reasonable reason to consider raising their price. But as we already know, this is a very unusual circumstance.
Before doing any changes, it is recommended for you to analyze the different scenarios. To do so, we have two questions you should ask yourself before modifying the price of your private tutoring:
- Question 1: If I change the price, would it affect the volume of classes taught?
- Question 2: What will be the personal benefit to raise or decrease the price of each tutoring?
First scenario: Raising the price of your private tutoring?
You may be wondering if it is a good idea to increase the price of your private online tutoring. Of course, it is! Increasing the price of your online tutoring can be more profitable even if the volume of people seeking your services decreases at the beginning.
You can use the price increase as an opportunity to offer new services and including new educational material, for example. This will be a great strategy to differentiate yourself from the rest of the tutors that offer similar services. Though, be sure to compare your rates with similar tutoring in the city you are living in. Go for it!
Second scenario: Lower the price of your private tutoring?
NEVER! It is the worst idea to lower the price of your tutoring. You should never go for this one. Decreasing the price is generally related to poor-quality services. Since you have what it takes to be a great online tutor, your clients will decide to enroll in your sessions due to the benefits that only you can provide them. Your students will be confident and happy about paying for tutoring that they know will be of great help. Nothing more to say!
See tutoring jobs here on Superprof.
Setting a fair price is key to success!
Let's discover together everything that is behind the mind of the consumer when raising the prices of a product or service (but this time we will do our best to adapt it to your private online tutoring):
- By raising the prices of your private tutoring you can attract more dedicated students:
When you raise your tutoring prices and do a great job, you could position yourself as the expert in the subject. You will attract students that will pay for your tutoring services cause they value your knowledge, and also because you are a good teacher. These students are more likely to remain loyal to you than to seek lower-cost tutoring with someone else.
When you lower the prices of your tutoring services, it demonstrates that maybe you are not engaged enough, or that you are desperate to attract new clients (students).
- Your students will get better results.
When you charge higher prices, your students will feel more committed to your tutoring and eventually will get better results. If you tend to set lower prices for your expertise, your students will abandon the battle easier even if it was worth it. We will give you an example with the Massive Open Online Courses (MOOC). Stanford University and Harvard University release their MOOCs every year. Even though they offer great study content for free, the average completion rate is less than 7%. On the other hand, it is not a coincidence that the average completion rate for paid programs is 97.5%, is it? Maybe if we get to pay the MOOCs, we would value them way more!
- Having a fair price for your tutoring can offer better support to your students.
For this one we are going to put a crystal clear example: You want to win $ 1000, and you have two options to do so.
- Sell a product for $ 1 to 1000 people or,
- Sell a product for $ 100 to 10 people.
The first option could be complicated to accomplish since you need to overwork yourself a little too much. Can you imagine giving private online lessons to 1000 people and earning $1 per lesson? Impossible right? Too much work, energy, and time invested for a very little return.
However, the second one sounds way better since you can decide to invest the same hard work and energy, but maybe have some free time and still earn the same amount of money. Not bad at all, eh? You will gain a better reputation, have more quality perception, and be a happier private online tutor!
See teaching English as a second language here on Superprof.
How to price your online tutoring?
Setting the price of private online lessons is sometimes difficult to do as this involves many factor costs that must be considered. You can take into account the following points to set the best price for your tutoring and get the most out of your private classes online.
Factor costs that must be considered:
- Your academic training and your professional experience: If you have higher education degrees, certifications, and valuable professional experience, your services have to be valued way much better. If you offer private tutoring services at a low price, people will not feel motivated, nor safe to invest their money with you (even if you are the most prepared person in the world). You have to ALWAYS give the best value to your professional and academic backgrounds. If you don't trust your abilities, then who will? Remember you have to be your number one fan!
- The educational level of the student: Perhaps this point is a bit obvious, however, it won't be the same to give tutoring lessons to elementary children as to Ph.D. students. As the academic level will be more advanced, the approach and preparation will be much more complex. And this is also considered to set a better price for the online sessions.
- Existing academic difficulties: Before accepting to teach any student, you must choose to have a prior interview with them. This is a great recommendation since you will be able to know which academic problems they might be facing. Since private tutoring is generally a reinforcement or extra educational assistance, the students who require it may be facing some academic or behavioral difficulties. Depending on the complexity of the cases, you will have to consider it to set an appropriate price since you will need more dedication.
- Don't forget to consider the preparation time: When setting the price per session, you must take into account its duration, as well as the time and materials you have invested in preparing it. From planning activities to exercises, and reading assignments, everything counts!
- Transportation: This article is aimed mainly at online tutors, but if you decide to teach face-to-face classes and you need to move around, remember that transportation involves time (sometimes too much), energy, and money. And of course, this also has to be taken into account to establish the price of your sessions.
Suitable price according to your location
If you live in the city, in the suburbs, or in the countryside, it is recommended to set your tutoring rates according to other local references. This will help you to establish the best competitive prices for your private online tutoring. Are you ready to win the game?
Due to the great impact of the Internet, private online tutoring has become quite popular! As a result, there are many great tutoring opportunities but also much more competition. Do not worry! Not all private online tutors will be directly competing with you. However, being aware of everything that happens around us is not a bad idea either.
The amount of competition for private tutors in Toronto will be way more than in Calgary, for example. In the largest cities like Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver private online tutors must try to differentiate by offering attractive services, creative lessons, as well as competitive rates. However, not all teach the same subjects or activities, of course. Whether you teach guitar, Russian, Spanish, or providing math academic support, well-made market research never hurts, and you will be better aware of the competition.
To have a better idea about the average price per lesson of private online tutoring in any city in Canada, we recommend you to enter the Superprof page. Superprof is one of the largest networks of private tutoring in Canada and worldwide, where you can find private online tutors specialized in all disciplines, subjects, and hobbies that you can imagine!
Be aware of your competition
When we started giving private online tutoring, we can make some bad pricing mistakes due to our lack of experience. However, getting wrong is the only way to learn. And you are not alone! Through great online tutoring platforms, such as Superprof, you can take a look to see how much private online tutors nearby are charging. This will be a great way to do express market research and position yourself better in the online tutoring market.
The price per session will change depending on different factors. In big cities like Vancouver, for example, the price per session of online tutoring will vary from neighbourhood to neighbourhood, since there will be specific areas with more demand for private online tutoring, like the areas with more student residencies. Doing a little research online will help you to offer your tutoring services better and take some doubts out of your head!
With Superprof's online platform, you will get a general idea of the average price of similar disciplines per class near your location. Let's do it together! Go to the official website: www.superprof.ca, and type "Mandarin Chinese" and then "Toronto" in the search bar. You will find more than 30 online tutors available that teach Mandarin Chinese in the area. Then you can continue browsing a little more and check out all the prices per lesson that the Mandarin tutors have established. Like this, if you are a private online tutor of Mandarin Chinese and you live in Toronto, you will have run into your direct competition. Let's take advantage of this!
Start your tutoring job when you want with Superprof! Creating your account is very easy and for free. Go to the official Canada website, and click on "Tutoring jobs". Wait no more and share your passion with the world without limits! And the most important, gain good money from it. Superprof platform will also help you to highlight your best professional assets. You need to add all your educational and professional background, certifications, the subjects you are specialized in, and the levels of education you prefer to teach. And of course, if you are also down for face-to-face tutoring.
Once you start offering your private online tutoring, your students can write a review of their experience with your lessons. This will be very helpful since one of the best ways to promote your tutoring will be by making people happy. Don't settle for less, you can even get the 5 stars rank and the Ambassador label! Ready for the world to discover the best online private tutor? Stop hesitating about it and dare to take off your professional career with Superprof. Starting your online tutoring job with Superprof will give you way more opportunities than you had imagined!
Rely on other references too
Taking to local people, and students from the area could be a good idea to complement your market research. You can decide to carry out a short survey near a university campus, for example, or to design an online survey to reach more people from the comfort of your home. For your results to be meaningful and as accurate as possible, you have to contact as many people as you can. For this reason, you can take this option as a backup. To do good market research you can take the following examples:
- What are the reasons for seeking a private tutor?
- What are the expectations regarding private online tutoring?
- What is your opinion about the quality of teaching at local educational establishments?
- How much money would students pay for private tutoring?
- What types of private tutoring could be the ones of interest? (Whether for exam preparation, private language tutoring, online tutoring, face-to-face services, among others.)
These are some examples of questions you can ask to evaluate how private tutoring works at your location. Although each student has different needs and criteria when choosing a private tutor, it is advisable to be aware of current tutoring trends, and the most popular subjects to teach through private online tutoring. Like for example taking some Spanish lessons online!
Remember some subjects will have higher levels of competition than others. If you are a math tutor in Vancouver, you will have an amount of 635 tutors teaching math near you, only in the Superprof platform. However, if you are a tutor of a very specific subject, such as Ecology, you will have less competition around (without neglecting the importance of Ecology, of course). If there are several private tutors of a certain subject, they will have to search for better methods to stand out from the competition. Whether having more creative tutorials, offering new teaching materials, or proposing new activities, this could be the way to be considered as the first option. As a result, you could have a very good ranking and eventually be able to increase your tutoring prices. Offering a free try-out can also be a great strategy for you to show your potential students your magic!
Do not forget that online tutoring is not the only option for you. If you are an English tutor, you can offer an exciting learning experience by going to the movies and choosing a movie in English with subtitles. Another good idea could be establishing English conversation sessions at your favourite coffee shop. Changing the dynamic of your classes once in a while will maintain students motivated and excited to keep going with you! This is the art of teaching.
As you probably know, being a private tutor is a great and rewarding job for both you and your students, and more when you are happy and comfortable about the pricing of your tutoring. Don't give away your experience! Be prepared to make a living from sharing your passion with Superprof. Find the best way to take off your private tutoring career in Canada! If you were looking for a sign, this is probably the one!
The platform that connects tutors and students