- 01. Get to know the beauty of teaching!
- 02. Why teach photography?
- 03. Achieve meaningful learning for your students!
- 04. Finding Students for Your Photography Classes
- 05. Is it possible to teach photography online?
- 06. Become an online photography tutor!
- 07. How to promote your photo tutoring?
- 08. How to set the price of your photo tutoring?
- 09. Adjust your rates!
"Education helps a person to learn to be what he is capable of being". Hesiod.
If you are interested in art and consider yourself an expert in photography, have you ever thought about tutoring online? If you have a good knowledge of photography with experience in various techniques, but above all, you are passionate about what you do, perhaps the best idea is to share your art with those lucky ones interested! Teaching can be the most rewarding job!
Fortunately for many, you don't need any certification to work as a photographer or to teach in Canada. You can simply pass on your passion to others by making a little room in your schedule. If you are passionate about your art, we assure you that your students will be taking photos like true professionals in just a few sessions.
If you were looking for a sign to get started, this article is for you! Here you will find the most useful information for your private tutoring and everything you need to know! What are you waiting for my friend?
Get to know the beauty of teaching!
Teaching is an essential part of the process to improve their knowledge, attitudes and develop many other skills. Teachers and tutors are essential to facilitate meaningful learning, but it doesn't stop there!
A teacher can be a crucial part of your life and change your destiny forever. Let's take an example! Imagine that you have always been curious to learn French pastry making. But your previous studies have nothing to do with patisserie. Indeed, you have worked for some years as a financial advisor. However, something inside you is crying out for a change. A little voice in your head is constantly asking you "Why don't we learn French pastry?". After many doubts and after overcoming an existential crisis, one day you dare to look for French pastry classes and you meet the person who will change your life forever: a passionate pastry chef! Thanks to this key figure, you finally decide to turn your life around and start your educational career as a famous pastry chef.
But now, let's stop thinking about food and get back to photography! If you are passionate about your art, you can be that key figure for someone else by becoming their tutor. That's why it's important to share your passions! Maybe your future photography students will be your colleagues of tomorrow - we'll never know! Maybe you have decided to take up photography because of a teacher too.
The magic of teaching can be achieved by promoting meaningful activities that facilitate creative solutions, adaptability, efficient assessments, and objective feedback to the student.
A photography tutor is essential for students to become experts in the art, as they are facilitators, guides, and evaluators:
- The tutor as facilitator: A good mentor will recognize and identify problems, develop good photographic skills, and build a good knowledge base. Having a tutor is key at the beginning of the training, as it will allow the learner to access resources and scenarios that they may not yet be aware of.
- The tutor as a guide: The tutor helps students to make better decisions regarding the art of photography and their professional careers. The tutor must ensure that their training is satisfactory and that it goes beyond their private lessons. He/she also guides the student to learn from the difficulties encountered during the process.
- Evaluation: As an experienced photographer, you will evaluate your students' performance, give them good feedback and address their areas of opportunity. Constructive criticism is always welcome!
Why teach photography?
Art is a wonderful way to express ideas, emotions, or perspectives through photography, language, music, dance, and painting, among many other wonders. Art contributes to our integral and full development, which is why it is important to promote art education. Art education promotes the purest development of our creativity and curiosity, artistic skills and abilities, our imagination, and the exploration of our personality and self-confidence.
It is a dynamic and unique way of expressing our inner world, so no matter whether it is teaching students, professionals, or retired people, the practice of any kind of art is essential for the personal and social development of any person. Here you will find out why the art of photography should be taught!
- Developing the photographic eye: This is an essential component of photographic abilities, but it has to be developed through lots and lots of practice. Acquiring a photographic eye is knowing how to find the perfect shot in different circumstances. It's when you're walking down the street, stop to watch the sunset, and regret not having your camera at hand. We're sure you know what we're talking about!
- Improve your attention: When taking a good photo, you have to consider many factors, such as angle focus, shooting parameters, and knowing how to predict the exact moment of the shot. And for this, you have to pay 100% attention.
- Creative development: You will realize that some of your students may not be aware of everything they can achieve with a camera, as most of them only know how to use the basic components. However, this is where you come in to show them how they can develop their creativity and exploit it to the full.
- Brain exercise: The art of photography requires a good memory, creativity, and the development of good cognitive skills, making it an excellent exercise for the brain, to maintain its functions and memory.
- Serotonin booster! (The happiness neurotransmitter): One of the most important things for you as a tutor and for your future students is learning through play. What is more rewarding than playing and enjoying the moment? Nothing! Photography will encourage fun, creativity, and socialization. Find people as passionate as you and enjoy the art of photography!
Achieve meaningful learning for your students!
Generally, when students seek photography classes, it's mainly because they already have some knowledge about it. But for many others, it may be their first approach, or maybe it's one of his hobbies.
When our students are beginners, they have to build foundations through experimentation, trial, and error. So, let's practice! However, do not worry, it will be much easier for them because they are interested in the subject. So instead of students, you will have living sponges with you!
As your students acquire new knowledge, they will naturally build on these initial foundations to progress to more complex topics. Some key ideas for your students to have meaningful learning are:
- You are the one who provides the information, but they are the ones who give it meaning and significance.
- Students play an active role and are the protagonists of their process.
- Learning is individualized. It's your responsibility to adapt to your student's level and provide the appropriate information to go at their own pace.
- Being patient is essential for both you as a teacher and them as beginner students.
- Remember that everyone has different paces.
- Use the mistakes they make as a source of learning.
- Motivation is the key to life in general.
- Take advantage of students' curiosity to create interest and better reinforcement.
- Practice, practice, and more practice! Active participation during class time is very important to acquire knowledge!
- And last but not least, have fun! And encourage both you and your students to enjoy the process.
Finding Students for Your Photography Classes
If you are convinced to start teaching through virtual classes, finding students is a big deal! So, if you identify with one of the following scenarios, read on! We have great recommendations that could help you promote your tutoring:
- Photographer interested in online teaching.
- You want to teach but virtual classes are not your thing.
- You are looking to teach using a hybrid model.
In Canada, thousands of students are looking to acquire photographic skills and they might be delighted to meet you to improve and discover this wonderful art, and many people are still looking for traditional face-to-face tutoring. There are options for everybody!
To find students, the professional photographer or private photography tutor can:
- Use social media and studio platforms, as Superprof.
- Place an advertisement in the shops in his or her town.
- Use word of mouth with their other students.
- Place an advertisement in newspapers.
- Place an advertisement in specialized magazines.
- Post an advertisement in a photography or art school.
If you want to place your advertisement in public places, you only have a moment to attract the attention of potential students. Your advertisement should be clear and concise, without too much information, with your contact details and preferably in attractive colors.
Start photography courses here on Superprof.
Is it possible to teach photography online?
Have you ever thought about teaching photography via webcam? Nowadays it is possible to learn everything online! Starting to study photography online is the best way to introduce your students to the world of photography, little by little.
Take advantage of this digital age to find students who are looking for quality training, like the one you want to accomplish!
In recent years, online teaching has become more and more common everywhere! And this is to be expected thanks to the great impact of digital tools. The majority of tutors are already opting for online teaching, either to complement their face-to-face work or by migrating completely online to teach their classes. Virtual classes can bring many benefits to you. Let's get to know just a few of them!
- Greater flexibility for you and your students to go at your own pace.
- More flexibility in teaching hours.
- Being able to give classes from the comfort of your home or from anywhere.
- Avoid wasting time traveling.
- You can get in touch with more students easily.
- Set your own prices.
Perhaps because of all the advantages that online education offers, you could consider becoming an online tutor right now!
Also, if you're wondering what equipment to buy to offer the best online photography tutoring, here are some ideas:
- A laptop or desktop computer, with Windows or Mac, depending on the post-production software you want.
- A quality webcam, preferably not the one on your computer.
- A microphone.
- Good headphones.
- An excellent Internet connection.
- A photo editing software for post-production.
- Plus a very comfortable desk chair and a quiet room.
Online courses are recommended for photography tutors who are new to teaching. This type of teaching will allow you to organize your time better and reduce the stress that your first classes as a tutor may bring. No worries! We have the best tips for you to start teaching your photography classes online, reach more students, and make your online lessons profitable! So read on my friend!
Start online photography courses here on Superprof.
Become an online photography tutor!
Maybe you are wondering how to become an online photography tutor, and asking yourself where to start. Remember that we always start from the beginning!
Nowadays, most people are looking to take online tutoring to learn anything that crosses their minds. Baking classes, yoga Ashtanga, learning Russian, learning how to play the guitar, painting classes, all these and more is possible to learn online. Due to great technological advances, it is easier to find excellent private tutors through virtual education platforms.
Superprof, for example, is an online platform with a huge catalog of tutors specialized in different academic subjects and disciplines, where you can safely promote your services as a photography tutor. Are you ready to be part of a worldwide network of online tutors? Superprof is available in more than 34 countries! Be part of our great community!
If you want to get started go to the official Superprof Canada website! Creating your Superprof profile is very easy, you just need to select "tutoring jobs" to get started. By opening your own private tutor account, your future students will be able to communicate with you easily to set your private tutoring, discuss your lesson modalities, as well as pricing and your specialties.
It doesn't matter if you want to focus on white balance, the history of photography, or Photoshop. With Superprof you will reach thousands of students interested in your skills.
How to promote your photo tutoring?
In recent years, the private tutoring market has exploded in all subjects, disciplines, and hobbies. To make your best in this highly competitive market, you will need to know how to sell yourself and make the most of your profile.
For this, in your profile, it is advisable to specify:
- Your educational background: If you have four years of study in an arts degree with a major in photography, a diploma in visual arts, or extracurricular courses, you should specify all because everything counts!
- Your experience as a professional photographer: In your profile, you can describe all your professional experience. Try to enter your most recent experiences at the beginning and write only the most relevant things. It does not matter if you don't have professional experience, it will come with time.
- The price per class: Below we will show you how to set a suitable price for your tutoring and the best recommendations for you!
- Offering better prices for more lessons. For example, you can only offer a more affordable price per lesson if the student agrees to have several lessons with you or offer a special price if you have more than two students. But this is up to you to decide whether it suits you, or not.
- The content of your classes: Specify which subjects you like to go in-depth and the ones you are more specialized in.
- The levels you teach: Specify whether you feel comfortable teaching beginners, intermediate or advanced students. Also, you can point out if your photography lessons are aimed at children, adults, or everybody!
- Duration and frequency.
- Your profile picture: Don't forget to include a profile picture to catch the attention, or even upload your photos to give an overview of your work.
All these elements will help you build a solid reputation on Superprof, and reach way more students!
How to set the price of your photo tutoring?
Want to start giving private tutoring but not sure how much to charge for them? At Superprof, only you can decide your own prices for your tutoring. It is important to bear in mind that the price is often one of the determining factors for a student to choose a private tutor. Therefore, you have to consider that most of the people who will contact you to learn photography will be mainly young people, so it is advisable not to have high prices per session. However, you don't have to underestimate your knowledge either. If the price is too low, you will end up working more without seeing a significant reflection of your work.
Here are some of the average prices for virtual photography courses in Canada at Superprof:
- Photography class in Toronto: $37 / hr.
- Photography class in Vancouver: $ 35 / hr.
- Photography class in Montreal: $32/hr.
Therefore, the location of your tutoring will be the first criterion to take into account when pricing your classes. Photography tutors in Toronto, for example, are significantly better paid than in other cities. However, they will always have much more competition. Before pricing your tutoring, take a second to analyze the competition in your field. You will be more popular if you have a price that matches your profile and your tutoring.
Adjust your rates!
To set your price, you should consider the average price of the tutors nearby you, but also your academic and professional backgrounds, of course!
If you are a newly graduated photography tutor, you may want to avoid setting such high prices for your lessons, as you do not have the experience of a professional photographer. However, remember that experience comes with time. Evaluate your profile and if appropriate, consider this when setting your price. Many students choose to become tutors while learning to become photographers themselves. This type of training is particularly appreciated by other students, especially because of the lower fees for tutoring courses.
If you are an experienced tutor but your photography lessons are mainly focused on basic training, you should not inflate your prices. If your students find your lessons too expensive for their content, they could write a negative review of your tutoring, and this could be not recommended to find new students.
If you are highly specialized in a certain technique, you may, of course, enjoy setting a higher price. If you have a good knowledge of photo retouching, black and white photography, you master sharpness and soft focus, the manual or automatic mode, outdoor photos, digital SLR, don't ever forget to mention these!
Landscape photography, studio photography, portrait photography, or macro photography: no matter what your field of expertise is or what you like the most, you will have no problem finding a student who wants to master his or her new camera!
Get out your tripod, your best lens diaphragm, and your focal length, and start giving lessons to finance your studies or to supplement your salary!
Our final tips:
- Delivering virtual courses will allow you to reach a much wider audience of students.
- The more specific the discipline, the higher the price.
- A specialty will attract more advanced students, who will pay more to improve and learn new techniques.
- Consider that teaching requires a certain amount of work. We recommend that your private lessons are aimed at one person or a small group of students.
- Point 4 applies to both, virtual and face-to-face tutoring.
- Finally, if your specialty requires specific camera equipment, you can also enjoy slightly higher rates.
In short, go for originality in your private photography lessons and enjoy and share your art! With Superprof, the road to online private tutoring has never been easier! Get started now!
The platform that connects tutors and students