If you are interested in becoming a singing teacher or singing coach in Canada but want to be sure about the years of preparation you need to practice, don't worry! Here you will find the answers to all your questions.
Can I teach music without a degree?
It is not necessary to get a Bachelor's degree if you go for private practice as a vocal coach in Canada. You can succeed as a private vocal coach if you acquire previous experience as a performer and a high musical aptitude.
However, we will always encourage you to further your education if you want to become a singing teacher since there will be more excellent professional opportunities for you in Canada and worldwide. For example, after acquiring a Bachelor's degree, the expected increase in employment opportunities should make finding the position of your dreams as a singing teacher or singing coach easier.
So, what exactly should you do to teach singing and music in Canada, and how long it takes? The truth is that to become a singing teacher in Canada, you must meet specific requirements, and this could take a few years of preparation, depending on what career path you are interested in:
- Pursue a Bachelor of Music: If you want to work for an orchestra or other professional classical musicians and singers, you will need to pursue a university degree in music. After pursuing a Bachelor of Music, you can concentrate on performance, composition, and music theory.
- Get a recognized certification or membership: You might need to get a certificate from a provincial regulatory authority before you start working as a voice teacher.
- Some years of voice coaching from a university, college, or private instruction is always mandatory.
Considering that a Bachelor of Music is a four-year post-secondary program and you need some years of voice coaching, maybe the years you will need to become a singing teacher in Canada will highly depend on the career path of your dreams.
Would you like to discover what can you earn as a voice teacher or singing coach in Canada? Discover, for example, how much to charge for singing lessons in Kelowna!
Also here you can get to know all the qualifications you need to become a singing teacher in Canada.
How do you become a certified singing teacher?
A music teacher must complete a bachelor's degree and an approved teacher preparation program to be certified, much like any other teacher working in a public school. Also, to get certified, singing teachers must apply for the certification and pay the annual membership and registration fees.
If you want to know more about getting certified as a signing teacher in your province or territory, you will need at least a bachelor's degree or specific voice coaching, depending on each provincial requirement. Discover what else you need to work as a voice teacher in Canada.
What should I major in to be a singing teacher?
To become a voice teacher, you should complete several prerequisites, such as music, theater, or general education. Most singing teachers get a degree with a major in music. However, other common majors for a singing teacher include theatre and general education.
A Bachelor of Music program is structured to help students master their voice and instruments while simultaneously acquiring the theory, ear training, voice coaching, history, and performance skills required to develop excellent interpretations. Let's find out some of the possibilities of Mayors you have just one click away!
- Bachelor of Music in Vocal Performance: Students can pursue a Bachelor's degree in music with a concentration on classical vocal music and jazz and Broadway music. The highest standards of professional education are represented by performance degrees, which cover the background, theory, pedagogy, and practice of numerous musical genres. The voice has a solid theoretical, scholarly, and theological background in this degree.
- Bachelor of Music in Jazz - Instrument or Voice: During your studies, you will receive the necessary knowledge and skills in music, music culture, and performance practices. Here you will complete studies in ensemble playing, aural skills, rhythm, and arrangement. The degree also includes language and music technology studies. With a Bachelor of Music in Jazz, you can pursue roles as a musician, bandleader, composer, and pedagogue.
- Bachelor of Art - Music: A Bachelor of Art with a Music Major: focuses on vocal performance, production, and church music. This degree mainly consists of a curriculum of applied instruction, music technology, music theory and history, and a recital or senior project.
- Bachelor of Art in Vocal Studies - Solo Singing: With the vocal and acting training the students receive through this Bachelor's degree program, they acquire better skills to perform on stage using a variety of vocal genres, such as songs, cantatas, and oratorios, as well as in music theaters (opera, operetta, and musical).
Would you like to know which skills you need to excel in a singing teacher's career? Find exactly what you are looking for here!
What's the difference between a vocal coach and a singing teacher?
We know there can be some confusion here. If you ask yourself the difference between a singing teacher and a vocal coach, you must understand that both terms are generally exchangeable. However, the difference is that any teacher in Canada must be certified by provincial regulatory bodies since teaching is typically regulated.
We also find subtle differences in professional objectives between a vocal coach and a singing teacher. Let's look at them below:
Main objectives of a singing teacher:
- A voice teacher teaches students how to sing.
- Vocal technique is the main emphasis of singing teachers.
- voice teacher focuses on shaping a specific tone or portion of your range.
- A singing teacher develops students' vocal techniques through vocal exercises and technical instructions.
- Singing teachers work on ranges, note accuracy, breath control, head vs. chest voice, and other singing techniques.
- Voice teachers are familiar with the voice's physiology, diagnosis, and function.
- To be eligible for employment, as a voice teacher you must receive voice coaching from a university or college.
Main objectives of a vocal coach:
- The singing coach will expect students to know how to sing.
- This professional works on the student's voice, vocal health, and techniques.
- A singing coach focuses on improving the students' song performance in their repertoire.
- A vocal coach helps students improve their stage presence and their performances.
- Although no formal degree is needed to become a singing coach, many hold music degrees, such as music theory, music education, or vocal performance.
As you can see, both have very similar objectives. However, a vocal coach generally works with more advanced singers, while a singing teacher instructs students of any level.
If you want to know about other careers for singing teachers in Canada, you cannot miss this article!
How do I start teaching singing?
Have you considered offering private lessons to acquire experience as a singing teacher? This might be an excellent start for you! Let's look at some benefits you might get as a private tutor:
- Private tutoring is an excellent method for students to get additional pocket money.
- A private tutoring job offers lots of flexibility since you can decide to work only the number of hours you wish to and design your daily and weekly tutoring schedules.
- You can choose the students you want to work with the most.
- There are many prospects for private teaching.
- Additionally, you can have complete control over your earnings since you can set your hourly rates.
- If you already have a specialization, take advantage and fill the tutoring niche.
As you can see, you don't need anything but a passion for teaching and enough knowledge in a relevant discipline. If you have some singing expertise and want extra cash, sign up for an online tutoring platform like Superprof!
Superprof is a fantastic online tutoring platform where you can start offering private tutoring and set your lesson rates. Would you be willing to test it out? Search for "tutoring jobs" on the official website of Superprof Canada: www.superprof.ca. You can register for free as a private singing instructor right here! Since you can give private lessons in more than 1000 subjects, Superprof is a great place to start your singing teaching career. Do you wish to work from home? You can give online lessons or go for face-to-face classes. You will find students rapidly all across the world!
In addition, you can highlight your best professional assets on the Superprof platform. While creating your tutor profile, you can include your educational and professional background, certificates, specialties, and degrees. Believe us. Your teaching abilities are precious! Teach people how to learn to sing online or how to become a good singer with Superprof!
But there's more! Your students can leave reviews of your voice coaching once you start providing private singing instruction. If you have a passion for teaching, this would be very beneficial because making people happy is one of the best methods to market your voice coaching. Try it out by giving singing lessons in Ontario or singing classes in Montreal!
Starting your online tutoring job with Superprof!
The platform that connects tutors and students