- 01. What causes the development of learning difficulties?
- 02. School dropout in Canada
- 03. Ways parents can overcome academic difficulties
- 04. Why is a private tutor important?
- 05. Online tutoring, is it possible too?
- 06. Where to start seeking online lessons?
- 07. How to find the perfect online tutor?
- 08. Recommendations for finding the perfect tutor
- 09. How to know if I chose a good tutor for my son?
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.” Albert Einstein.
School is a training ground for our adult life. Provides the formation of a person integrally to function better and adapt in society. The schooling period is crucial for the children to acquire new knowledge and develop their intellectual, cognitive, and social skills. Mostly, through trial and error. However, for some students is hard to adapt to the academic pace and catch up with their peers. Thus, affecting their self-esteem, their development, and their performance at school. To prevent it, it's critical to identify promptly when our children need additional school support. If you feel something is going on with your kid, here are some signs that he or she may need extra support.
Take the time to answer the following questions calmly:
- Have your child's grades slipped significantly in a specific school subject or most of their school subjects?
- Does he/she consistently refuse to do homework in one or more subjects, or leave it incomplete?
- Does he/she show embarrassment or fear of expressing that he/she is having difficulty with the academic load?
- Has he/she had direct communication with you about the subjects he/she is struggling to master?
- Does he/she had changed his/her behavior lately? Such as loss of motivation or lack of interest?
- Do you notice that he/she is more tired than usual?
- Is it difficult for him/her to follow instructions to perform a particular task?
- Has he/she shown any aggressive or impulsive attitude lately?
If you have answered YES to most of the questions above, perhaps it is the right time to seek private tutoring for support. Seeking help is always recommended! And it can avoid our children and us from going through more complex situations in the future.
Private tutoring can offer students personalized study sessions that help them catch up in school but also help to reduce stress and improve their self-esteem and sense of belonging. It is important to remember that all of us have had difficulties with a specific subject at school and that seeking extra support has nothing to do with the child having less ability or intelligence than others. Being patient and supportive is essential for their security and confidence (and for everybody, actually!).
What causes the development of learning difficulties?
There are many reasons why a kid may be experiencing some struggles, and it's a whole new world to consider. It is time to get a little serious here, however, it is essential that you know everything that may be intervening in the correct development of your infant. Here are some important points we need to discuss:
- Family background. Having a history of learning difficulties at home could predispose the infant to develop them. If another family member struggled with learning difficulties during their childhood, it can undoubtedly be a risk factor.
- Prenatal and neonatal risks. If your kid had a premature birth, low birth weight, or was exposed to alcohol, drugs, or substances like lead during pregnancy, this can lead to attention and cognitive problems.
- Physical trauma. The presence of any injury or pathology during childhood could be related to the development of learning difficulties.
- Psychological traumas. If the infant has undergone psychological abuse during his/her childhood, this can affect their proper development. Looking for a specialist is always advisable!
- Family circumstances. If the infant is experiencing a difficult family environment, such as a divorce or separation of his parents, the loss of a family member, moving to a new community, among others, this could affect his learning.
- Bullying. Dealing with any kind of abuse at school impacts the academic level. The infant struggles to maintain good marks, he or she presents symptoms of anxiety and is going to isolate, affecting his or her integration.
Whatever the cause, identifying these problems early is crucial for the right development. A kid who has difficulties adding and subtracting will not be able to solve more complex equations in higher education levels.
The teacher, parents, and tutor can request an evaluation and follow-up for any concerns about potential learning problems.
Although this article is aimed at parents interested in finding a private tutor for their children to improve their school marks, do not rule out the idea of contacting a specialized psychologist or doctor for a more specific medical approach, if needed.
We are all a multidisciplinary team, a great help for your kid's well-being! Let's get started!
School dropout in Canada
School dropout refers to the abandonment of the school system by the students. This is caused by the combination of many social, family, individual and environmental factors, and it's a huge social issue that contributes to the increasing crime rates, drug use, alcoholism, economic dependency, and mental health conditions such as depression.
The students do not finish their academic education. They fall behind during their lessons, fail to attend classes, pass school examinations, and as a consequence, fail the school year.
According to Pathways to Education Canada, a charity that helps youth from low-income communities, 300,000 students are at risk of dropping out of high school every year. In recent years, high school dropout rates in Canada range from 5 to 14%, increasing to 50% in low-income communities. According to research, young Canadians facing poverty situations have serious barriers to completing their education.
If the child does not have a good school follow-up and is struggling with academic difficulties, he is at greater risk of dropping out of his studies. That's why you have to pay attention now! What to know more about helping university students? Click here!
Ways parents can overcome academic difficulties
Parents are an essential piece in the correct development of the infant and have to team up with teachers and their children's tutors to provide the top support. All for one and one for all! For instance, here are some pieces of advice you can take to help your kid overcome all of these:
- Highlight their strengths and abilities. And teach them how to learn to get the most out of them. If your son or daughter struggles with math and logical reasoning, perhaps he or she is a natural creative artist or a great athlete! Highlighting his or her strengths can build good self-confidence.
- Encourage their socialization. When children have academic difficulties, they may feel a little isolated, sad, angry, and have low self-esteem. However, if you encourage them to enroll in sports classes, art classes, meetings among their friends, these activities can also help them build confidence. Socializing is the best way to realize that we all have difficulties in something. Feeling belonging is priceless!
- Seek support. Contacting more parents with children who have experienced this type of difficulty can give you an idea of how to react and address the problem. Plus, you won't feel isolated either. Learning disabilities are more common than we expect, and neither you nor your child is alone in this!
- It has nothing to do with your child's intelligence. Remember that learning differently does not mean that your child is not smart enough. Everyone can be brilliant in their way and the world needs brilliant people in all areas.
- Contact a private tutor ASAP! That's how it is! What better way to face the problem than with the best solution? A private tutor can be the key for your kid to improve his grades, find another supportive figure, regain his self-esteem, and enjoy school. You and your son or daughter can accomplish all these with the tutors of Superprof!
Why is a private tutor important?
When the infant does not perform properly in school, when is not getting good marks, and is even struggling with socializing, it is advisable to seek private support. This may be the most advisable backup support in overcoming difficulties and complementing traditional education.
Private tutoring is a personalized accompaniment, aiming to address existing academic struggles, unwanted student behavior, low self-esteem, among others. It seeks to identify the student's needs, improve their marks and avoid school dropout. It is an excellent alternative to strengthen academic performance, boost personal growth, and help students to identify their strengths and exploit their potential. The student gains his or her confidence back and returns to be part of the school dynamics. It is all about developing good self-confidence to succeed in school and life!
Tutors are facilitators who develop and implement strategies to help students overcome school difficulties, and know how to identify and correct mistakes to become autonomous learners, in the best case. The tutor must have the necessary experience to achieve good teaching and a meaningful learning process.
The private teacher must try to create a relationship of trust, which fosters good and active communication, addresses questions, but also an optimal environment that promotes learning. A safe place to enjoy all the process! Perhaps, with patience and support, your child will finally be able to bring out the mathematician or the crazy scientist within him or her!
To achieve good tutoring, the private teacher has to adapt the topics to be taught to the child's profile, school level, and his or her difficulties, since in this way both, the student and the tutor, are going to be on the same page. By accomplishing this, the child will be empowered to work and excel on those topics by himself or herself.
The tutor must adapt to the rhythm of the student. Starting from this, the establishment of goals and objectives is advisable, and more when they are reasonable to achieve. Also, celebrating when reaching those goals is essential to reinforce learning. Following a clear structure of the topics to study and rewarding the effort is going to be great for them. A private tutor must let the student know all their qualities and strengths and address the areas of opportunity to improve.
Online tutoring, is it possible too?
Of course! Due to great technological advances, online classes have become very popular in recent years. Online tutoring offers great advantages such as a personalized follow-up from the comfort of your home, access to the best teachers, better planning, and flexibility of lessons and study hours. It can be a great way for your kid to get started on those difficult subjects. Online tutoring, as traditional face-to-face tutorials, can also complement what is acquired during school classes in a very efficient and flexible way.
Like traditional tutors, online tutors have excellent teaching materials, infinite access to virtual tools, like online libraries, tutorials, virtual assessments, educational platforms, among others. With online tutoring, your child can have access to all these virtual resources and more! And go hand in hand with an expert teacher to better address any learning or attention issues that may arise.
Online tutoring will be much more punctual for a better understanding of specific concepts since your child and the tutor can come back to them over and over again in case something is not clear. In addition, it will promote a more active learning session and with fewer distractions.
Some schools in Canada offer free tutoring online, as well as some public libraries. However, if you are looking for a much more personalized accompaniment for your child, we recommend you look for the top online lessons with Superprof!
Where to start seeking online lessons?
Superprof is an educational platform that offers online tutoring in more than 30 countries worldwide! Here, tutors are specialized in any subject your child needs, be it mathematics, chemistry, physics, biological sciences, physical education, history, you name it! In addition to academic matters, in Superprof you can search for other extracurricular activities such as yoga, painting classes, martial arts, everything that crosses your mind, and more! Learning through online tutoring is possible and totally worthy!
Ready to look for an online tutor for your child? Take a look at the official Superprof platform! Here you can find millions of tutors available in Canada who can help your child study any subject or learn anything that makes him/her curious. From practicing French, Spanish or Chinese, to getting started with cooking or photography classes, you just have to be creative!
Depending on your child's needs and your location, you can look for virtual lessons, or even search for face-to-face classes with the tutors that live nearby you. Studying has never been easier than now!
Regardless of your child's age, discover the ideal private tutor for him/her with Superprof! And don't worry, Superprof tutors have good experience helping children with academic difficulties. Everything will go just smoothly for him or her!
How to find the perfect online tutor?
Well, seems that is time for you to discover a world of possibilities! Follow the next steps to start!
- Go to the Superprof Canada platform: www.superprof.ca
- Enter the subject your kid needs to improve, such as, "Algebra".
- Enter where you are located to get more specific results, for example, "Calgary", especially if you are looking for face-to-face classes. If this is not your case and you are interested in virtual classes, you can select the "online" mode to contact tutors anywhere in Canada.
- Select "Research" and access thousands of profiles of registered teachers who teach "Algebra", or any subject.
- Click on the profile you like the most, and see their background with children with academic difficulties.
- Don't forget to check their background and the levels of classes they teach.
- Click on "Book a class".
- And that's all! Start chatting with the tutor to organize the first meeting.
- You will only have to set up a quiet space now!
Since we know that good interaction between the teacher and the student is crucial, you can benefit from getting a free first lesson or try-out for your son or daughter to get to know the tutor better. And this does not end here! At Superprof we think about everything! We know that the budget is essential to consider, on the platform you can choose the tutor that best suits your circumstances. Some tutors may even offer a more affordable price per lesson if your child takes multiple lessons with them, or if a friend of your child wants to join.
Are you ready for your child to acquire all the advantages of online lessons? Find your tutor with Superprof and help your child get better marks at school and feel happier!
Do you want to feel happier also? You could even look for relaxation yoga classes in your free time! Today everything is possible with Superprof!
Recommendations for finding the perfect tutor
Here are some recommendations to discover the best tutoring for your kid.
- We know that Superprof is great, however before looking for an online teacher, we recommend that you consult with the school teacher to be more aware of the problem that your child is facing. Like this, it is going to be easier for you to find the perfect private tutor.
- Once you have identified which subjects your kid is having difficulty with, you can look for someone specialized in that specific area, and preferably with knowledge of tutoring. There are excellent tutors in applied mathematics, however, if they do not have experience with children, we recommend looking for someone more appropriate.
- You have to consider that there are subjects that have a higher degree of difficulty than others. Evaluating the complexity of the subject is going to be more effective to avoid overwhelming the child, and prevent him from feeling frustrated. However, if you are already looking for a tutor there won't be an issue.
- Avoid comparison with his/her other peers. Many times as parents, we can get frustrated by not knowing how to help our children. However, it is essential not to compare them with anyone else. We all have different capacities and abilities, and the educational system often does not appropriately address them. Personalized lessons are not a punishment for not knowing how to get good grades, are support that can even be a key element in the development of our children.
- The way of working of the school professor and the tutor should be similar to avoid confusion. However, when you find specialized teachers, they probably already know how to handle this situation.
How to know if I chose a good tutor for my son?
The ideal teacher for your child will do the following to ensure that he or she develops good skills to deal with complex subjects successfully:
- The ideal teacher assesses your child's strengths and weaknesses and customizes a plan to get the most out of each of them.
- Provide homework assignments that reinforce concepts seen in class.
- Develop study skills, and how to better prepare for tests and assignments.
- Understand their learning style. Be it visual, auditory, linguistic, social, practical, or individual.
- He or she is an important figure for his or her motivation. The tutor keeps your child-focused, motivated, and willing to learn.
- He or she is respectful and empathic with your kid and adapts to his or her needs.
- Allow your kid to express his and her concerns and doubts freely, helping them solve problems.
- And last but not least, the private tutor never minimizes any difficulties or your child's concerns, no matter how simple they are. The tutor is always here to help!
An excellent teacher is an invaluable resource that is going to help your kid improve at school, but that is also a coach and cheerleader, who can help him push through the hard times and celebrate his successes! The perfect match is at Superprof waiting for you both!
The platform that connects tutors and students