“Photography is a way of feeling, of touching, of loving. What you have caught on film is captured forever… It remembers little things, long after you have forgotten everything.” — Aaron Siskind Taking photographs is a great way to remember the happy moments during special occasions like weddings, birthdays, graduations, anniversaries, and more. By looking at the pictures produced through photographic film, you will have the chance to look back and recall all your experiences — good or bad. If you have a passion for taking photographs and capture moments through the lens of your camera, you should consider bringing it to the next level. Here in Ottawa, there are numerous options where you can enhance your ability to take pictures. With that, read further to discover some of the opportunities you may get to be the next renowned photographer in Canada and beyond.
Photography Courses in Ottawa
As one of the largest cities in Canada, Ottawa is a great place to practice and improve your ability to take pictures. Just like any other cities such as Toronto, there are also institutions located at the heart of the city that offer numerous courses and programs related to photography. Furthermore, there are different approaches in Ottawa which you can learn how to take stunning pictures professionally. That said, you may opt to take regular classes for beginners and intermediate learners if you prefer to learn within a small group. On the other hand, if you want to receive a one-on-one session, you may choose to get a private class or an online lesson with a photography tutor. Now, let us tour around Ottawa and discover the best places to learn Photography and what are the best options available for you.
Learn Photography at School of the Photographic Arts Ottawa
One of the known institutions in Ottawa that offers photography program is The School of the Photographic Arts Ottawa or SPAO. It is an independent, not-for-profit, and charitable photographic visual arts school and a registered private career college. SPAO aims to provide collaborative and intensive experience to cultivate the photographic and visual arts culture of Ottawa and beyond. Moreover, the learners may choose between full-time and part-time programs that both handled by professional Photographers and skilled instructors.
Full-time Diploma Program
The institution’s full-time diploma program is a two-year course which offers an exceptional opportunity to enrich:
- Individual vision and craft
- Develop a wide understanding of photographic theory and history
- Obtain comprehensive analog and digital photography skills
Furthermore, when you enrol in the School of Photographic Arts Ottawa, you will learn integrated topics including:
- Studio and lighting techniques
- Photographic history and ideas
- Digital techniques
- Printmaking techniques
- Portfolio design and production
On top of that, the students of SPAO will learn through :
- Lectures and practicums
- Critiques and advisory sessions
- Continuous engagement with professional curators, academics, gallerists, critics, and photographers.
If you are a hobbyist or professional photographer, SPAO has a broad variety of part-time courses, safaris, workshops, and masterclasses for you. You can choose within a set of courses in:
- Black-and-white and digital photography
- Analog and digital post-processing
There are different levels of courses offered in SPAO — Basic, Intermediate and Advanced levels. Ultimately, the instructors at the School of photographic arts are critics, professional photographers, arts professionals, artists, and historians. Rest assured that these mentors are all professional and active in their fields of expertise.
Photography Program at Algonquin College
Want to learn how to capture, create, and edit images at a professional level? Algonquin College in Ottawa might be the right place for you. It is one of the recognized schools in Ontario which offers photography courses and programs that will help aspiring individuals to learn more about cameras and master exceptional techniques to capture photographs. Algonquin College offers a two-year Photography College Diploma program for individuals who want to turn their passion for capturing photos as their profession. In addition to photography techniques and design, the learners of this program will also gain skills and knowledge in the field of:
- Business practice
Ultimately, there are lots of job opportunities in the industry after you finished a photography course. You may be hired as a photographer in areas such as:
- Wedding and portrait photography
- Commercial and industrial photography
- Scientific and medical photography
- Visual content creation
- Image retouching/manipulation
- Print and graphic production companies
Furthermore, you can also opt to work as a self-employed or freelance photographer. On top of that, Here are some of the photography courses offered in Algonquin College in Ottawa: Level 1:
- DSN2100M (Design Thinking)
- ENL1813M (Communication I)
- PHO8706 (Digital I)
- PHO8711 (Studio I)
- PHO8718 (Print I)
- PHO8719 (History of Photography)
- PHO8767 (Theory I)
- ENL0077 (Professional Communication for Photography)
- PHO8707 (Studio II: Portrait)
- PHO8708 (Studio II: Commercial)
- PHO8726 (Digital II)
- PHO8736 (Visual Perception Design)
- PHO8760 (PrintII)
- PHO8768 (Theory II)
- PHO8729 (Multimedia I)
- PHO8731 (Studio III)
- PHO8749 (Digital III)
- PHO8765 (Print III)
- PHO8741 (Studio IV)
- PHO8753 (Multimedia II)
- PHO8758 (Print IV)
- PHO8759 (Digital IV)
- PHO8766 (Field Placement)
Taking photography courses in this institution will be a great stepping stone towards your dream of becoming one of the best photographers in your time. So, if you are one of those learners who are creative, have a keen sense of entrepreneurship, and enjoys the technical nature of photography, the programs offered by Algonquin is well-suited for you.
Take Photography Classes Online
For anyone who has a busy schedule but still wants to insert photography lessons on their tight timetable, taking online classes is the most suitable approach for them. They can reach out to the best photography teachers on the internet whatever locations or time zones they might be. For as long as you have a strong internet connection and the required tools, you can be able to learn from online photography teachers at your most favourable time. You can also get the online services of the best tutors in Edmonton or one of the great photographers in Montréal without travelling to their places. It’s a good thing Skype conference call, Google Plus Hangouts, and Facetime — just to name a few — are getting more and more popular as of writing. Despite the busy schedule, online lessons have empowered anyone to keep learning and keep enhancing their skills. So? Don’t stop yourself from learning photography and take online lessons as a great start.
Get the Help of a Photography Private Tutor
In Ottawa, you may take private tutoring classes if you prefer to learn the basics of photography in a one-on-one setup. With the help of an excellent tutor, you will be taught a simple yet effective way of how to study photography. However, finding the right person who could teach you the fundamentals of photography is not an easy task. You can ask your family and friends whether they knew someone great in the field of photography or a tutoring agency that can provide an excellent tutor to teach you techniques in capturing photos. Moreover, you can search for skilled and knowledgeable tutors at Superprof. There are more than a thousand available teachers and tutors near you who can teach informative lessons from the basics up to advanced lessons of photography. Besides the expertise, you should also look for a tutor who has a flexible schedule and can teach you during your free time. Aside from that, effectivity is also equally important. You may ask some of the students of your prospective tutor about his or her personality and the effectiveness of his or her approach. By doing so, you’ll be sure that you got the right tutor to help you with your needs.
Benefits of Private Tutoring in the Field of Photography
Private tutoring is basically handled by a professional photographer in an individual setup. Through this, you will get the entire attention of your teacher that may lead to faster learning and improvement. Aside from that, here are some of the benefits you'll be getting if you’ll hire a private tutor to teach you essential areas of photography.
- One-on-one Session. In private tutoring, lessons are typically in an individual setup. The entire attention of your teacher will focus on you. With that, you can ask questions when you can’t clearly understand the topic or ask your tutor to adjust his or her teaching pace. Your teacher will adjust his or her approach that can be suitable for your learning preferences.
- Customised Lessons. Another benefit you’ll get when you take tutoring sessions is that you can skip the lessons that you already Your tutor will prepare customised lessons based on the areas that you need to improve and the lectures that you need to learn. If you want to master digital photography, for instance, your teacher will focus on this field and teach you all the necessary things there is to learn.
- Learn From the Experts. One of the best ways to know amazing tricks and techniques in photography is by learning them from the experts. Professional photographers will help you develop and improve your ability to take pictures and will guide you to turn your passion into a profession. Your tutor can give you advice on how to reach your dreams and may get inspired by his or her story of
- Set Your Own Schedule. If you are a busy person and still want to make time to learn photography, the convenience of private tutoring might be the one you need. In this approach, you can set the schedule of your session during your free You can learn at the convenience of your home if possible and will study around your calendar.
As the capital city of Canada, Ottawa is indeed a great place to pursue your dreams of becoming one of the best photographers in your time. With the exceptional programs and numerous courses available in town, there will be countless opportunities for you to enhance your ability in capturing photographs.