I like teaching small groups of students. Lots of doing and not so much listening. I will take what you have to learn and make it in to what you want to learn and do. I will give directed teaching with specific examples and then lots of support to see the way though to success.
I am a retired elementary school teacher - and Author (my books are available on Amazon) - and an Artist
I have taught all ages and enjoy making art the fun subject it should be. Art is an activity that should be a part of all of our lives. A line is just a dot that went for a walk.
Additional charge for travel if the student(s) are 25 or more km away. No charge for cancellations with 24 hours notice
● Adept at holding students’ interest.
● Skilled at adapting curriculum to respond to students’ needs.
● Communicate with children and parents with warmth and diplomacy.
● Analytic and versatile thinker, effective in developing and carrying out ideas.
● Professional approach to teaching.
● Special interest in Science and Art
● Excellent working knowledge of computers.
R E L E V A N T S K I L L S & E X P E R I E N C E
● In the classroom I have taught strategies to assist students with academic work and mainstream integration in both a learning Strategies and Special Needs environment.
● In the Behaviour classroom I have developed behavioural strategies to assist students.
● In the Specialized Section 20 Program I have worked with students with multiple mental health diagnoses.
● Developed Individual Education Plans (IEP) to meet students educational needs.
● Developed monthly units with adaptations for students at varying levels.
● Integrated Windows of Opportunity materials into language arts curriculum.
● Completed Report cards, IEPs and participated in the IPRC process.
● I approach classroom teaching as a facilitator of student learning by:
- establishing a clear goal or objective for each lesson;
- noticing students’ reactions to material presented and checking for understanding;
- emphasizing a development of students’ critical thinking skills;
- creating a balance between my teaching goals and students’ learning needs,
assuring that the students feel supported as they learn.
(Relevant Skills and Experience continued)
Parent Contact and Staff Relations
● As a Teacher and as an Adolescent and Family Counsellor for NCYC, I have organized team meetings with parents and staff, inviting input into all phases of program planning and generating a cooperative atmosphere.
● I have participated in team meetings, addressing problems including family relations, staff cooperation, community support and problem issues with individual children.
● I have a good working relationship with community agencies related to children’s needs.
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE AREAS
● ETFO Workshop Facilitator - Bullying: A Relationship Issue - 2008
● Dale Carnegie Graduate - December 2006
● Specialist Special Education - March 2005
● Reading Part 1 - May 2001
● Project Wild participant - March 2003
● Non Violent Crisis Intervention
● Member of the National Storytelling Network
- Attended National Conference in Colorado - July 2002
- Received two university credits in Storytelling Curriculum - Summer 2002
● Attended the Brain Expo Conference
- A conference that reviews current brain research and applies it to
the classroom - July 2003 - January 2004
● Participated in Special Needs Workshop May 2006
● Participated in the Randy Sprick Workshop - November 2004
● Storytelling and Aural Tradition - January 2003
● Music and Therapeutic Understanding - January 2003
● Tough Kids Tough Choices - April 2003
● Arts in Education - Art Therapy - April 2003
● Participated with class as observers in the 2003 Spoken Word Festival
● Tell It - A Storytelling Workshop - October 2001
The Story Telling Classroom, ‘Grandfather Tang’s Story’, a story using tangrams to teach math in the elementary classroom, 2006 Libraries Unlimited.
E M P L O Y M E N T H I S T O R Y
2007 - present Teacher - Special Needs Oakwood Public School
Omer Avenue, Port Colborne
2006 - 2007 Instructor - Sciences Homeopathic Academy of Niagara
Niagara Parks Site
2005 - 2007 Teacher - Learning Strategies Richmond Street School
Richmond St., Thorold
2004 - 2005 Teacher - Behaviour Burleigh Hill Public School
Burleigh Hill Dr., St. Catharines
2001 - 2004 Teacher - Section 20 Section 20 Program,
St. Catharines Collegiate Site
(concealed information) ext. 2315
1996-2001 Adolescent and Family Counsellor Niagara Centre For Youth Care
243 Church Street
St. Catharines (concealed information)
1992-96 Client Support Worker Niagara Training and Employment
E D U C A T I O N
2001 B.A. Science, Education 1987 B.A., Philosophy
Medaille College York University,
Buffalo, New York North York, Ontario
1998 Homeopathic Practitioner
Toronto School of Homeopathic Medicine
closeby? Here's a selection of tutoring ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest painting lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, watercolor painting lessons for all!
Taking calligraphy lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at their home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||$30||$25|
|5 hours||Not available||$125||$125|
|10 hours||Not available||$250||$250|