I base my classes on the individualized learning needs of the student, I aim to establish a positive relationship with the student in order to promote a more comfortable and enjoyable experience. Once I gain knowledge about the individualized strengths, goals and needs; I plan my sessions accordingly
I am a child and youth counsellor with my bachelors degree in Child and Youth Studies from Mount Saint Vincent's University. I have 4 years experience providing specialized academic support to students who are currently facing barriers to education
● Past chapter president and participant of Best Buddies program at MSVU
● Registered level 3 ECE, in good standing with NSECE
● Registered CYC
● Class 5 driver's license with access to personal vehicle
● Completed intro to ABA (level 1)
● Trained in basic food safety
● Trained in CPI
● First Aid and CPR Certified
● Recipient of Duke of Edinburgh gold award
● Past Girl Guide participant and leader
● Past Free the Children President and member
● Physically active, fit and healthy
September 2012-May 2016
Mount Saint Vincent's University: Bachelors of Child and Youth studies with minor in psychology
• Completed 500 hours of hands on practice in learning centers across Halifax
• Completed placements at a developmental center, an early learning center, a special education independent school and an adult vocational center
• Planned daily inclusive activities based on the needs and goals of all participants
August 2017 (current)
Program instructor, Novaread Halifax NS
• Work part time as an instructor for students experiencing challenges in reading, comprehension and visualization.
• Implement individualized sessions based on student’s goals in learning. Create a fun and comfortable learning environment
• Many students I support are diagnosed with ADHD, Dyslexia or Autism.
November 2016-July 2017
Independent Contractor, Child and Youth Worker Toronto, ON
• Provided direct support to children and youth in a variety of social services settings, according to contract requests.
• Frequent contracts included: providing psychiatric support to children and youth at Sickkids Hospital, working as an instructor therapist at a private clinic supporting children with autism and providing residential support to children and youth who were diagnosed with a disability.
• This position required adaptability and responsiveness to last minute requests
November 2016-June 2017
Peel District School Board, supply teaching assistant Mississauga, ON
● Worked one on one with students of all grade levels, requiring educational support in school.
● Worked according to an individualized educational plan to ensure all learning needs were consistent for student
February 2016-October 2016
L’arche, relief assistant Halifax NS, Hamilton ON
● Worked in a community based residential home that supports adults with diverse needs.
● Provided support in daily living needs including: personal care, conflict resolution and household maintenance
June 2016- August 2016
Community Living Mississauga, Enhanced Support Worker Mississauga ON
● Provided support in a day program setting to youth diagnosed with autism who exhibited behavioral concerns
● Planned daily activities focused on socialization and community engagement
September 2016- November 2016
Macaulay Development Center- Supply early childhood educator Toronto, ON
● Provided support to children aged 6 months- 6 years in an inclusive day care setting
● Required adaptability and effective accommodation to meet the needs of each child
January 2015-April 2015
Autism NS, Respite Care Halifax, NS
● Provided one on one support to a young man with autism, with focus on increased physical activity
June 2014-February 2016
Colville Manor - Activity Coordinator (student and casual position) Souris, PEI
● Planned and implemented meaningful activities and events for seniors in a long term care facility.
closeby? Here's a selection of tutoring ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest special needs - autism lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, special needs - dyslexia lessons for all!
Taking special needs - handicap lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at their home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||$22||$20|