My teaching methodology is to provide some structure in learning about a subject, but also to allow a student some autonomy. Students learn best when they have a sense of wonder and have some sense control of their learning. My classes include what is needed to learn in a subject and will be flexible enough for a student to learn further. When I coach skating, for instance, a skater is offered the chance to work on spins or jumps. We'll start with the one they want and then continue on to cover both spins and jumps in that sessions - or follow up with both within the next session.
Hi! I love to teach people. I have a Bachelor of Science in Environmental Chemistry from the University of Waterloo. I have coached figure skating coach for over 20 years. I have homeschooled two children for ten years (one with Dyslexia and the other with Autism) and have tutored a number of students in high school math and chemistry. I try to work with where a student is at. Some students are behind and need help. Some may be bored. Some may struggle with certain concepts. I love to look at how a student learns and figure out what works best for each one of them. I love to learn from others too - we've had many international exchange students in our house, which has been fantastic for learning at all different levels!
SKILLS AND ABILITIES IN TEACHING
• Enthusiasm - I simply enjoy teaching anyone just about anything. I love to see the joy when a student realizes that a skill is mastered.
• Math knowledge and tutoring – I have a B.Sc. in Environmental Chemistry and have tutored high school and elementary math and science students, as well as an English-as-a-Second language adult.
• Patience - I have a great deal of experience in teaching children with learning disabilities, so I have learned to work at whatever pace is needed for a student. I have studied the various phonetic aspects of learning how to read in great detail and am very creative in making lessons fun and interesting.
• Years of Experience - I coach figure skating many evenings a week in the winter season for twenty plus years and love to see a skater’s face when he/she accomplishes a new skill.
TEACHING, TRAINING, AND TUTORING EXPERIENCE
• Provided math and chemistry tutoring to several high school and elementary students. Currently tutoring math to a seventeen year old
• Homechooled two children with special needs for ten years
• Provided various environmental and safety training programs to a staff of over 1000 employees at Rockwell Automation for many years, through classroom and online platforms
• Provided figure skating coaching for over 15 years to skaters of all ages at six skating clubs
• Volunteer Tutor for English-as-a-Second-Language student for Core Literacy
Honours B.Sc. in Environmental Chemistry – April 1996
• University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Ontario
• Electives in Economics, Statistics, and Management Science
• Courses in quantum mechanics, thermodynamics, calculus, algebra, spectroscopy - NMR, environmental engineering, analytical chemistry, and organic chemistry
International Baccalaureate (honors) courses in English, Physics, Chemistry, Math, Biology, and History
Attended training seminars in the following: WHMIS Train-the-Trainer, Air quality testing, Prevention of mould growth, Asbestos repair and removal, O. Reg. 127 air emission reporting, Ergonomics
* Extensive research and tutoring of students with learning disabilities, including Dyslexia and Autism
* Extensive experience in maintaining ISO 14001 Environmental Management Systems and some experience in maintaining OHSAS 18001 Safety Management Systems
* Capable of managing various safety programs, including hearing conservation, industrial hygiene, asbestos program, and ergonomics
* Ability to provide various on-line and classroom training courses to employees including WHMIS, Emergency Response, Subject Waste Management, and Environmental Awareness
* Extensive knowledge of Windows applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
* Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and dependability
CURRENT WORK EXPERIENCE
2000 – 2020 Professional figure skating coach at six skating clubs
May 2000 - Rockwell Automation
April 2007 Environmental Coordinator in Safety, Health, Environment & Facilities Department
* Managed the ISO 14001 Environmental Management System for the Dundas and Raglin facilities and supported other facilities
* Ensured environmental legal compliance for facilities including proper disposal of hazardous waste materials
* Managed various safety programs, including hearing conservation, industrial hygiene, asbestos program, and ergonomics
* Coordinated various activities and events including mobile hearing testing, tree planting, waste reduction week, and earth week
* Provided all environmental training some safety training to all employees, including WHMIS, Emergency Response, and Environmental Awareness. Courses were provided in both on-line and classroom formats
* Resolved problems such as air quality concerns and managed multiple projects
* Provided support for various additional safety programs, including technical support for joint health and safety committees and organizing an emergency response team
* Involved in team preparing a new database for improved training records management
January 1997 - Rockwell Automation
April 2000 Medium Voltage Administrative Assistant
* Purchasing and entering requisitions using Peoplesoft
* Document, spreadsheet, and presentation creation in Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
* Database creation in Access
* Flowcharts and wiring diagram preparation on Visio
PREVIOUS COOPERATIVE WORK EXPERIENCE
January - Quality Assurance Inspector at S&C Electric, Rexdale, Toronto
April 1993 • Monitored the transition from 100 percent inspection to auditing by inspectors of
and various electrical products
January - • Inspected high voltage single phase and three phase switches and fuses
August 1992 • Troubleshooting of products during and after inspections
• Analyzed which assemblers should be audited instead of 100 percent inspected
• Preparation of documents, checklists, charts, graphs, on a PC workstation
February - Worked at the Retubing Division of the Pickering Nuclear Generating Station
April - Worked at the Canadian Standards Association (Certification and Testing Division)
August 1990 in Rexdale, Toronto
* Crafts, canoeing, swimming, hiking, biking, figure skating
closeby? Here's a selection of tutoring ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest algebra lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, trigonometry lessons for all!
Taking chemistry lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at their home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||Not available||$20|
|5 hours||Not available||Not available||$100|
|10 hours||Not available||Not available||$200|